Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have Premium Connectivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of my 2021 Model 3 LR two days ago, my first Tesla vehicle. I bought it used from a non-Tesla 3rd party dealership. I had been educating myself on the features and getting used to this amazing vehicle. One of the things I learned is that Premium Connectivity is required to have maps with Satellite Views, Live View of the cameras, among other things. I have noticed that although I don’t seem to have Premium Connectivity, those features seem to work. I am able to turn on Sentry Mode and view the vehicle cameras remotely. Also, navigation with satellite view and live traffic is working. However, in the Upgrades menu, I am given the option to subscribe to Premium Connectivity for $9.99/mo which I wanted to do, but it seems that even without subscription all features are working. So I’m confused. How do I verify if I have Premium Connectivity already? I haven’t signed up for it, so how is it possible that I have it?

Since you bought this from a 3rd party dealership. I would guess that premium connectivity was still present from the last owner, until that expires you will probably have it for free. Once the previous owners subscription expires, then you will probably loose those functions until you subscribe.

Reactions: XPsionic
I just took delivery of my 2021 Model 3 LR two days ago, my first Tesla vehicle. I bought it used from a non-Tesla 3rd party dealership. I had been educating myself on the features and getting used to this amazing vehicle. One of the things I learned is that Premium Connectivity is required to have maps with Satellite Views, Live View of the cameras, among other things. I have noticed that although I don’t seem to have Premium Connectivity, those features seem to work. I am able to turn on Sentry Mode and view the vehicle cameras remotely. Also, navigation with satellite view and live traffic is working.

OK, so it sounds like you have it.

However, in the Upgrades menu, I am given the option to subscribe to Premium Connectivity for $9.99/mo which I wanted to do, but it seems that even without subscription all features are working. So I’m confused.

No need to be confused - Tesla is sloppy with feature activation/de-activations.
You still have everything. Enjoy it.

How do I verify if I have Premium Connectivity already? I haven’t signed up for it, so how is it possible that I have it?

You do, but if you believe you shouldn't, you can "fix things" by inquiring further with Tesla...

Does the streaming music work?
When I got my car, I like many others thought premium connectivity was lifetime, as I was told that. Three months after I received my car, Tesla now only gave one year of premium and they anti-grandfathered it away from the people who had it. Ok, no big deal, so I let it expire as it was the start of the pandemic and I was barely driving my car.
However, when I lost the streaming, the satellite views still worked for another week until that stopped. Maybe that will happen to you, so first check if music steaming is working.

Does the streaming music work?
When I got my car, I like many others thought premium connectivity was lifetime, as I was told that. Three months after I received my car, Tesla now only gave one year of premium and they anti-grandfathered it away from the people who had it. Ok, no big deal, so I let it expire as it was the start of the pandemic and I was barely driving my car.
However, when I lost the streaming, the satellite views still worked for another week until that stopped. Maybe that will happen to you, so first check if music steaming is working.
One of the screens says that Premium Connectivity expires February 2nd, exactly one month after I bought the car. Perhaps they just gave me one free month. I’m just going to wait until it expires and see what happens. But I’m going to subscribe to it anyway because I need to be able to see the cameras remotely. Streaming should always work with my phone’s WiFi hotspot. But my cellular plan throttles the hotspot speeds.

One of the screens says that Premium Connectivity expires February 2nd, exactly one month after I bought the car. Perhaps they just gave me one free month. I’m just going to wait until it expires and see what happens. But I’m going to subscribe to it anyway because I need to be able to see the cameras remotely. Streaming should always work with my phone’s WiFi hotspot. But my cellular plan throttles the hotspot speeds.
Tesla is very slow to react. I had free supercharging for 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever came first. Turns out it took them over 8 months to stop it. My premium connectivity also went well past the 1 year mark. So don't get excited and think they forgot about you if you still have it February 10th.

• Funny
Reactions: Mario Veras
Tesla is very slow to react. I had free supercharging for 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever came first. Turns out it took them over 8 months to stop it. My premium connectivity also went well past the 1 year mark. So don't get excited and think they forgot about you if you still have it February 10th.
Gotcha LOL. I’ll just use it until it stops working and then subscribe.