Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have premium sound??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 P- which should come with the premium interior. I hear so many good reviews about the model 3 sound but I'm just not sure I agree, and I am wondering if something may have potentially gone wrong in manufacturing. Other than checking my invoice (which does show premium sound) how can I be sure? If there a way to check the speaker types or maybe locate the subwoofer?

Without knowing why you do not think you have it, it is difficult to help diagnose as you may have a hardware fault or poor source quality, but you should have it and one way of checking it to check the audio settings options and iirc you should have a couple of immersive options in there to choose rather than just off and the standard one - I'm not venturing out to car in this weather to check though...

P- does but perhaps you have immersive sound switched off or worth having a fiddle with the equaliser settings.
I have a p- and it's definitely the best I've ever heard (and I have a high end av surround system at home!)

Check all equaliser settings are of immersive sound is on and you are using a high quality audio source not Spotify unless you have a high bit rate from there you won't hear it.

Also have you ever done a blind sound check with good quality copies vs low of your fav songs with good and low quality audio diviced to see if you Cna even hear a difference normally anyway?

Just to say that I have a P- with premium sound but I have to say, it’s not all that premium IMHO.

Coming from a Jaguar XF with the B&O system it’s rather lacking. Particularly in the crossover between the sub and the lower mids, definitely a bit of a hole here. Also if you bias the sound toward the rear you can really hear the lack of lows in the rear speakers.

The Premium has a lot more speakers. To begin with can you check if all of the speakers from the Premium are fitted and working?
Could you go around and via sound or vibration see if all 14 of the speakers that should be there are there and doing something?

Audio Systems for the Model 3 | TeslaTap

If some are missing or not working then that's something you can take straight to a service centre. It they are working but it still does not sound good to you then that is a bit more complex.
The best thing might be to find another M3 and compare if you can.

I’m not sure either. Mine is definitely supposed to be premium sound but am I or should I be hearing subwoofers from the boot space. Most of my sound is coming from the front windscreen area and Deep bass seems to be lacking.

I’m not sure either. Mine is definitely supposed to be premium sound but am I or should I be hearing subwoofers from the boot space. Most of my sound is coming from the front windscreen area and Deep bass seems to be lacking.
I always find the sound in cars sounds like its all coming from the front. First thing I do in a new car is adjust the front rear bias to turn down the front so it sounds more even. Probably wrecks it for the rear seat passengers but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My last car (Audi A8) had the ultra premium B&O sound option, 1000W and over £5000 ordered new (which I did not do), and I am not really missing it. The Audi sub-woofer was a little more powerful than the Model 3 Premium Sound one, but not much, subjectively. In terms of general sound quality I think I prefer the Tesla, though little in it. Bear in mind that in 2008 the Audi system was a candidate for the best sound system in any production car.
The big difference is with the much superior range of sources I now have with the Model 3.

I have a Model 3 P- which should come with the premium interior. I hear so many good reviews about the model 3 sound but I'm just not sure I agree, and I am wondering if something may have potentially gone wrong in manufacturing. Other than checking my invoice (which does show premium sound) how can I be sure? If there a way to check the speaker types or maybe locate the subwoofer?

Tesla premium sound system is ok but I would not call it an excellent system compared to BMW top sounds system.

I always find the sound in cars sounds like its all coming from the front. First thing I do in a new car is adjust the front rear bias to turn down the front so it sounds more even. Probably wrecks it for the rear seat passengers but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The sound should come from the front as you are never in the centre of a band or having music coming from the rear at a concert.

Reactions: KennethS and Durzel
Should I be able to hear the sub in the boot? Likewise the speakers in the A pillar are quiet too. With the volume high I get some bass from the door speakers. I don’t feel immersed in sound though. I’ve got the premium interior package.

You shouldn’t be able to tell where bass from a subwoofer is coming from as it’s omnidirectional. It should just fill the car rather than be from a specific direction. Having said that, if you go right to the subwoofer you should feel it.

I think it sounds great, I went from my car to a 2017 Audi S7 with Bose yesterday and it just didnt sound as good, the system in my Model 3 sounds clearer and has better bass.

Its worth checking the setting and turn on immersive sound.

So I have now turned on immersive sound and had a bit of a play with the EQ. Putting immersive to maximum does definitely make it better. I am always apprehensive of doing stuff like this as it can often make things sound/look a little artificial. For example, high HZ TV's on with "ultra-smooth" (or whatever else they call it) setting at maximum, can produce a very interesting effect but in many cases it looks like you are either looking through a window or a 100% CGI film - both of which are not great in my opinion!

However, in this case... maximum does seem to do the trick to putting a bit more sparkle back into the sound.

I have found out where the sub is now, and to be honest, is not that great. IF you fold down the back seats you can feel its effects a little more but in songs with deep bass, it does not seem to ever go quite deep enough. I have quite a decent home audio system and know the sub should not be set up to be able to hear it over anything else. The M3 does this... but maybe a little too much!

There seem to be a lot of threads on switching out the OEM sub.

Model 3 subwoofer install.

Not sure I am quite ready for that though!