Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have the shudder of death? 2020 Raven LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I thought for sure I had shudder issue on my Raven LR but and I scheduled a service appointment but yesterday I remembered that TESLA guys had put the tow hook in the frunk so I removed it and the sound is gone now. I did couple of launches and the point where I was hearing the noise it just vibrates which in turn was making the noise I was hearing. Could this vibration be a precursor to the actual problem which may occur later? I cancelled my appointment as I can’t reproduce the sound any more but just wondering if this is how it will start and once I have more miles and rapid launches it will get worst?

Yeah, that sounds slightly suspicious, but not yet very annoying. If due to the front half-shafts it can take 6 months to really develop, depending on driving style. I would ask them to give in writing the precise cause of this shudder noise and if there is any permanent fix in the works before scheduling a replacement with something likely to repeatedly wear out quickly in the same fashion.

See here for background on 1" lowering-links as a real solution:
Do you have shudder on hard acceleration? AKA death rattle?

That is exactly how my car sounded with the death rattle. That being said as of June 2019 all new cars are supposed to have the new Clevis mounts installed on the cars. maybe some of them slipped through with the old mounts in them.

there’s nothing wrong with the half shafts it’s 100% the mounts. The way the tech explained it to me is that on hard acceleration when the car flexes the mount that was on the car flexes and over time causes the death rattle and will also cause vibration in the accelerator and the steering column. He said that it wouldn’t cause any issues for the car as many people waited over 2 years for a SB to come out so that it could be addressed.

oddly enough my battery had to be warm and the noise could be best heard around 60-65-%.

maybe you can’t reproduce the noise because the pack isn’t warm. Next time you have a longer drive try a launch.

My 2019 Raven LR makes that exact sound, tech said it is normal. It sounds to me like the traction control trying to prevent front wheel spin, but I did not ask the tech why it makes this sound.

The vehicle had been in for a strut replacement, it had developed a TON of racket over bumps and horrible rattle on hard acceleration, which I assumed (correctly) were related. I advised the tech and asked him to test drive after the strut was replaced to make sure the acceleration rattle was gone, he did and said the (softer) rattle was normal.

FYI, they had to order the strut, had never encountered a bad one on a Raven (November 2019), they initially thought it was a sway-bar strut because of this. Highland Park IL SC is very busy since they service most of Wisconsin too, so I trust they have seen it all.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
After numerous complaints Tesla finally replaced by front axles, but after 2 days the sound already reappeared. This seems to be an engineering flaw, and they don't know how to fix it ...
Which is why when my car was in for other minor issues they told me HQ would not let them do anything to my Raven P+L for this issue. Until a fix is in hand they refuse to swap out the drive shafts/CV for the shudder.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
So I have done extensive testing and here are the results

1. if the car is cold and everything is setup normal I no longer get the rattle
2. if the batteries are warm and I shock the car I hear the rattle once but than it stops
3. I have tried the suspension setting to high and very high and disable auto lowering but the car goes to standard automatically on hard acceleration but in either case cold car no sound
4. I had my wife with me the last time I was hearing the sound so going to try that later but as of this point I can't reproduce the sound on demand so taking it to Tesla didn't make sense.

My 2019 S Raven is vibrating from front drive - Tesla keeps telling me its with Engineering. Was wondering how long it normally takes to find a solution based on past experience. I understand the X has the same issue. Mine started having issues passed a service on the front drive. Wish I could contact HQ and lodge a complaint, there does not seem to have a customer relations contact address or number.

When was
My 2019 S Raven is vibrating from front drive - Tesla keeps telling me its with Engineering. Was wondering how long it normally takes to find a solution based on past experience. I understand the X has the same issue. Mine started having issues passed a service on the front drive. Wish I could contact HQ and lodge a complaint, there does not seem to have a customer relations contact address or number.
your car mfg?

Mine Model S Performance from august 2019 also has the death rattle issue. It is getting more and more irritating - and not the best marketing for Tesla when giving test drives to potential new Tesla customers... hope they will find a permanent fix soon.

Was your car mfg in august or did you take delivery in august? There is a permanent fix for model s. All cars mfg after playing June 25 should have the new mounts. But yours could be close and have the old mounts. Take to service and ask them to check I’d it has the clevis mounts.

• Informative
Was your car mfg in august or did you take delivery in august? There is a permanent fix for model s. All cars mfg after playing June 25 should have the new mounts. But yours could be close and have the old mounts. Take to service and ask them to check I’d it has the clevis mounts.
Ok, thanks. I took delivery of the car in august so it could have a production date before June 25.

I wish this was true. I have a November 2019 build that still has NVH from the front on hard acceleration. Don’t get your hopes up yet for a permanent fix.