Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I have the shudder of death? 2020 Raven LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alysashley79 said:
Was your car mfg in august or did you take delivery in august? There is a permanent fix for model s. All cars mfg after playing June 25 should have the new mounts. But yours could be close and have the old mounts. Take to service and ask them to check I’d it has the clevis mounts.

Jard said:
I wish this was true. I have a November 2019 build that still has NVH from the front on hard acceleration. Don’t get your hopes up yet for a permanent fix.

I agree with Jard...There is no permanent fix yet as Alysashley79 posted. Don't get your hopes up quite yet is 100% correct.

This is simply NOT true!! I had the death rattle. It was present when I rode with the tech. They applied the service bulletin and the noise is gone. Maybe it will come back. Maybe it won’t. The date of service for my car was 1/23!!

did you ask them to apply the service bulletin? SB-19-39-001. It’s is for both model S and X (the previous SB was only for the X) it’s as if 6/25/19

Reactions: gbailey
I have a new Raven 2020 model X and I noticed the rattle sound coming from the front of the car on hard acceleration. I had the car suspension set to "freeway" so it would lower when you go fast. I remembered reading on one of these threads someone said it was the air suspension lowering from standard to low causing the noise. I put the suspension to low and now the noise doesn't occur when I accelerate. I have two older Model S both with air suspension and neither made this noise. If I ever need service, I'll have them do the service bulletin SB-19-39-001 to see if it helps.

keep driving it hard, i'm curious if it comes back or not @Alysashley79

I will. Both my hubby and I have a lead foot! In fact the service department joke with us about it because I often hit the top speed and achieve this quickly (and yes very very safely)

also keep in mind that Tesla only very recently changed their “model year” to not be the build date year. From 2012 until dec 2019 it was always build date was your model year. A friend in service said he doesn’t think it will last and will go back to the old style

I wish this was true. I have a November 2019 build that still has NVH from the front on hard acceleration. Don’t get your hopes up yet for a permanent fix.
Talked to the danish TESLA service center yesterday and they confirmed that there still is no approved fix for the death rattle problem on the Raven cars. They could not give me any indication of when a fix would be ready :-( I really hope TESLA priorities this fix...

I’ve posted this on the death rattle page. I spoke extensively to the tech at my local service center. It’s noise it’s not going to cause harm or failure. It happens on hard acceleration when the joints flex at the mount. While it’s an annoying noise it doesn’t cause any harm. Your car won’t tear in half. It won’t fall off etc. the sb I posted is for the US only.

Reactions: gbailey
Hello,

I had an appointement tomorrow at the Luxembourg service center for the replacement of the half-shaft on my 2019 Raven
They were positive it's the usual shudder after having driven my car a month ago but they just call me to cancel it!

They explained me that it won't fix the issue and Tesla is investigating it...I am not super happy as I can feel it even when I don't floor it...

let's hope it will not take 4 years

So is it only on Raven models? I have wondered about this but my car is pre-raven 3/2019 manufacture date. Acceleration is smooth and quiet in all circumstances so far.
My car is pre Raven. It’s the mounts they use. I spoke to a tech about this. The raven as the m3 motor in the front so the clevis mounts can’t be used. Still a noise issue not a perf issue

So today I accelerated hard on my 2019 Raven SR mfg in August 2019 and I think I observed this for the very first time. I was like "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??". I tried to reproduce it a few times after and I couldn't. I did make my dog throw up though from the constant accelerations in the car. :eek:

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed an issue on Standard Range Model S' as well?

I took delivery of my 2020 Raven Model X in December and developed the rattle on hard acceleration about 2 weeks ago at around 2000 miles. I took it into service yesterday and was told a loud rattle on hard acceleration is a “known” issue on ALL Model X and Model S Ravens. They don’t know yet why it’s happening and SC won’t attempt to fix it until Tesla comes up with a fix. I was told they believe the noise is coming from one of the drive units. I was also told that it’s “safe” to drive the car (despite them not knowing why it’s happening).

This is a completely different problem than what the pre-Raven models had, and hence that fix does not apply for the newer models.

So today I accelerated hard on my 2019 Raven SR mfg in August 2019 and I think I observed this for the very first time. I was like "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??". I tried to reproduce it a few times after and I couldn't. I did make my dog throw up though from the constant accelerations in the car. :eek:

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed an issue on Standard Range Model S' as well?
yes. it gets worse over time