Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I just sue Tesla? New record for getting Powned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely and hopefully the tech screwed up while disconnecting power. Why did they? IDK, prob standard procedure? Why else would you mess with power when sealing glass and changing a windshield. In a bad scenario they shorted something out which is causing the fuse to blow.

I could go there and handle most of this or they could just replace the fuse and everything would be fine IF it doesn't have other problems. But if it does, even if I paid to replace the battery back to stock, they'd just claim the battery caused the other issue (s).

I mean they literally told me that the ground wire isn't a Tesla wire so it won't work. Now lady on the phone is taking the tech for his word, possibly manager too. Tech is probably just incompetent and doesn't know it. Or they just want to collect more money. Was already weird I have to pay 1200 for a windshield when I told them I had a glass issue right away so maybe that's just how they roll. Get the revenue up??

None of this would have happened had they not given me a defective new car. None of this would be happening if they had separate dealers. I've become an example on the wrong side of what Tesla is fighting all these legal battles with states about.

I don't understand how a leaky/defective windshield is not covered under warranty. Defective moonroofs were fixed/replaced under warranty, so why not the windshield if it was not assembled properly? I would say to take it to another SC but the car is dead at the moment.

I don't understand how a leaky/defective windshield is not covered under warranty. Defective moonroofs were fixed/replaced under warranty, so why not the windshield if it was not assembled properly? I would say to take it to another SC but the car is dead at the moment.

My guess is that it is because the windshield was cracked, maybe from a rock hit? So they couldn't verify the leak existed before it was cracked.

I call the local service center and a salesman always tells me they'll have someone call me. The call never comes. Do you know how infuriating that is? I'm a tech savvy, relatively patient, self avowed Tesla fanboy and it boils my blood that I can't speak with a human under pretty much any circumstance.

Yes to all the above (UK based owner). I just don't get how tere can be such a huge imbalance with Tesla. You'd think there is enough noise to get after sales at least a little bit functional. Do they really see no value in customer retention? May be stems from a deep routed belief that the products are perfect!

@Zooomer
I'm a little surprised, this being your 3rd Tesla, that after the initial call to sales and no callback, you simply didn't call sales again and give a simple ultimatum, "take the car in with a loaner now, or I'm returning it under the 7 day money-back guarantee". Since you'd be on day 2 already, you'd tell them sorry but no delays are acceptable because their own 7 day clock is ticking and you don't want to risk running close. If still no resolution, I'd return the car on day 3, bring it to sales, hand them the keys, done. I bought 4 of them, but the last one was in early 2018. Yea they all had problems, but SC fixed all the problems while providing loaners. Dealing with a yellow screen in 2019 showed me how much service quality has deteriorated. Today, I would not risk having to deal with a Tesla knowing it's defective within 7 days, unless I am in a loaner I'm willing to drive for weeks in case it takes that long to repair. It is really sad what happened to Tesla service. They used to be stellar, and the service is what kept me coming back - not anymore.

Most likely and hopefully the tech screwed up while disconnecting power. Why did they? IDK, prob standard procedure? Why else would you mess with power when sealing glass and changing a windshield. In a bad scenario they shorted something out which is causing the fuse to blow.

The windshield has heating elements in it for the parked position of the wipers, and of course there is a camera array mounted on it as well, full power-down of the car is SOP for a windshield removal.

I am puzzled that you are choosing not to argue about the obvious faulty mounting of the original windshield which in all probability caused the crack in the first place (unless you had signs of external impact on it), but are choosing to argue about the battery change which was frankly not a bright thing to do when you knew before you even got the car home that it was going to have to go back to Tesla for the windshield problem...

When you had the chance you should've returned it within your 7-day period. Now you're stuck with a dead car, that Tesla refuses to fix or touch unless you pay out of pocket and now they want YOU to have the car towed because of you're decision to "mod" the vehicle so early on (I know you didn't expect to have issues this early but these things happen) and now it's dead and Tesla is blaming you for it and I understand why they would, even if it wasn't the new battery that caused the issues the car is now dead and to Tesla, it's your fault.

Sometimes it's just best to cut your losses and move on.

I would've never put a new 12V battery in a brand new car...Now it backfired and left you with this mess. Hopefully, you get everything sorted soon.

Last edited:
Let's say you are right. I highly suggest you opt out of the forced arbitration as you will not be able to sue. Read your purchase contract carefully. After 30 days and you can't do this. Tesla is incompetent in communication and other CS issues but I would not have taken the car to the dealer with the aftermarket battery and if you are in this business you likely should have known how dealers can point to things like this as the issue and it is often justified. Good luck.

My guess is that it is because the windshield was cracked, maybe from a rock hit? So they couldn't verify the leak existed before it was cracked.

Exactly. IDK if the issues were related. Could have easily been a stone or something on my way home. That's why I agreed to pay w/o question. Just erring to their favor.

To whiteX. Every year my family does a road trip to FL from MI in the TEsla. This was our 4th year. I had a lot of date/time contraints. I barely got this vehicle in time to do the trip and had already sold my old one.

To EVDRVN I'm not going to sue. I'm just not that guy and it would defeat part of my purpose for owning the car. Tesla screwed me on the FSD on my last one and I took a 50k price loss w everyone else. I'm ok with that. I'm even willing to eat the windshield as IDK if it's on them or me. But the 12v thing is just them damaging the car and not wanting to take care of it. That's really the issue. MAYBE it's as simple as replacing the 12v fuse. It was on their list. Let's say that is the case. How much sense would it make they hold my car hostage and not replace a fuse that they blew?

UPDATE for today. someone responded that the manager refuses to fix the battery under warranty. I replied (which they have no phone, you can only text) that I don't want a warranty or the battery replaced. I still have all my old parts, brand new. I asked for a picture of the battery as it currently is. They have not responded to that text which was several hours ago.

Last edited:
Interesting to me.

I just replaced 8 6v batteries in my Golf Cart with a Li-Ion battery from a Nissan Leaf. Can't believe how many systems needed to be replaced to make it work. Not simple conversion at all. Needed a new charging system, a different DC convertor and controller. The charging needs for a LI-Ion is far different than Lead Acid. Voltage depletion curve is also much different.

A lead acid cranking battery is designed to offer tremendous amps for a short period of time, while Li-Ion usually gives less surge but more consistant power over a longer period of time.

Benefits, however, have been great. Cart weighs 400 lbs less, charges faster, no longer slows down going up hill, steers much easier and accelerates much quicker.

Replacing one component with a different design, in an interconnected system, can have far reaching effects.

Imagine Tesla techs wanted nothing to to with that replacement battery with unknown characteristics. Tesla has been working on a design to delete their problematic 12V lead acid since their first cars. They have not come up with anything that could be a satisfactory subsitute.
They are world experts with Li-Ion technology. Imagine if they had a way to use them to effictively replace the Lead Acid they would have done it long ago.

From what I understand, Tesla often replaces defective OEM windshields, however if they detect an impact point along the crack, it will be denied. It most likely will be covered under your comprehensive insurance policy.

Most everone here will agree with you, however, that the communications with Tesla causes much frustration. They keep their progress close to their vests, and attempt to keep communications to a minimum, and often cause stress and worry to customers involved.

They are kind of like a surgeon that will not offer all the details of what happened while you were under anesthesia, nor give you iron clad guarantees that you will ever perform perfectly again. They just do their job and go onto the next patient.

Reactions: 2012MS85
Interesting to me.

I just replaced 8 6v batteries in my Golf Cart with a Li-Ion battery from a Nissan Leaf. Can't believe how many systems needed to be replaced to make it work. Not simple conversion at all. Needed a new charging system, a different DC convertor and controller. The charging needs for a LI-Ion is far different than Lead Acid. Voltage depletion curve is also much different.

A lead acid cranking battery is designed to offer tremendous amps for a short period of time, while Li-Ion usually gives less surge but more consistant power over a longer period of time.

Benefits, however, have been great. Cart weighs 400 lbs less, charges faster, no longer slows down going up hill, steers much easier and accelerates much quicker.

Replacing one component with a different design, in an interconnected system, can have far reaching effects.
I think in this case the replacement battery was very likely designed to plug in place of a 12V lead-acid battery, so any required conversion in terms of for example battery charging management/controller is in the battery. That is what the plug-and-play Lithium Ion car battery replacements are offering - designed to look like a lead-acid battery to the car. This is similar to LED light bulbs designed to screw in to 120V AC - they have the necessary AC-to-DC and voltage reduction built into the lightbulb so you can just replace existing incandescents and not worry about installing an LED controller, which is also an option of you want to use native LEDs for lighting. Charging a lithium-ion battery from lead acid charger via a charging adapter/controller may not be the most efficient way to do it, but it can be totally functional. On the discharge side, a controller in the battery should be dealing with battery specific issues, like cell balancing or preventing over-discharge.

Imagine Tesla techs wanted nothing to to with that replacement battery with unknown characteristics.
That's pretty much it. This is not Tesla specific, most manufacturers don't want to deal 3rd party modifications. In this case something caused a 12V issue (probably not the battery, but it doesn't matter). I bet SOP when debugging such issues is first to bring everything back to factory configuration. So, when they went down the 12V checklist, they stopped at first non-standard part. While that is very annoying to the OP, this is standard practice for warranty repairs. Even if Tesla caused the 12V problem during the repair, their process to fix it is to bring everything to factory specifications, and they cannot do that, so the process stops. Techs are not engineers, they follow checklists and procedures, they are no there to reverse engineer things, learn about 3rd party parts so they can debug whether or not that part could be causing a problem.

It is understandably frustrating for the OP, but it's just an unfortunate set of events and I would not be blaming Tesla for it. I would absolutely try hold them responsible for the windshield, however I also agree with the OP that lawsuits are usually not worth the time, money and aggravation. I've gone down the lawsuit path before, so speaking from experience - even if the case a slam dunk, it's still a royal pain.

Last edited:
If it's helpful I can share this. The service center was forced to admit to me they are directly forbidden by their supervisors from providing any phone number. When they do dial out it's from a blocked number. They claim there is no landline at the building.

When I recently had to take my vehicle in to this Toledo center they initially diagnosed that my car and air suspension needed work and my tires needed alignment, and I don't even have air suspension. When I showed up I told them to call me and authorize the alignment with me before they do it. I also said to provide me with any old parts that I own which are replaced under service. When I pick up my car after never hearing a peep they did the alignment anyway without asking, took off ~$25 off the ~$200 since I didn't have air suspension, didn't charge the car at all so i can get home, and double charged my credit card for the service, and then explicitly refused to provide me any parts saying they were required to be shipped back to Tesla. So I think they are under direction to get as many add on charges as possible and we know for certain they are being forbidden from providing a contact number or email. It took me like a days to get the refund.

They never even got my signature for the work/service, so no matter what they are playing it fast and loose in Toledo.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
Its incredibly easy to blow fuses on the top fuse block. I've done it twice, the second time being more careful than the first. Do you think that your aftermarket battery cause them any headache when they went to remove or inspect it? Perhaps it was larger than they are used to, or smaller? You're right that swapping a battery is very akin to putting different rims or tires on, but in this case there is a blown 12v fuse and the only thing done to the car was swapping a battery. Hopefully the fix the root of the issue, being the windshield, but the battery one just has too many moving parts to side one way or the other (personally)

So I think they are under direction to get as many add on charges as possible and we know for certain they are being forbidden from providing a contact number or email. It took me like a days to get the refund.
This is quite frightening how Tesla service now sees customers as the enemy (maybe an inconvenience) or at worst a way to make additional profit from cars still under warranty. Wasn't the Grand Poobah going to 'fix' the service issues?

If it's helpful I can share this. The service center was forced to admit to me they are directly forbidden by their supervisors from providing any phone number. When they do dial out it's from a blocked number. They claim there is no landline at the building.

When I recently had to take my vehicle in to this Toledo center they initially diagnosed that my car and air suspension needed work and my tires needed alignment, and I don't even have air suspension. When I showed up I told them to call me and authorize the alignment with me before they do it. I also said to provide me with any old parts that I own which are replaced under service. When I pick up my car after never hearing a peep they did the alignment anyway without asking, took off ~$25 off the ~$200 since I didn't have air suspension, didn't charge the car at all so i can get home, and double charged my credit card for the service, and then explicitly refused to provide me any parts saying they were required to be shipped back to Tesla. So I think they are under direction to get as many add on charges as possible and we know for certain they are being forbidden from providing a contact number or email. It took me like a days to get the refund.

They never even got my signature for the work/service, so no matter what they are playing it fast and loose in Toledo.

I cant believe this . I don't own tesla yet but why you guys don't sign some petition or contact news channel about Tesla service?
I been monitoring "official" Tesla forum and they almost never mention service problems there.
Only other "third party" forums talk about service issues.
My friend recently sold her Tesla and she said last 2 yrs were nightmare for her and car was still under warranty.

Exactly. IDK if the issues were related. Could have easily been a stone or something on my way home. That's why I agreed to pay w/o question. Just erring to their favor.

To whiteX. Every year my family does a road trip to FL from MI in the TEsla. This was our 4th year. I had a lot of date/time contraints. I barely got this vehicle in time to do the trip and had already sold my old one.

To EVDRVN I'm not going to sue. I'm just not that guy and it would defeat part of my purpose for owning the car. Tesla screwed me on the FSD on my last one and I took a 50k price loss w everyone else. I'm ok with that. I'm even willing to eat the windshield as IDK if it's on them or me. But the 12v thing is just them damaging the car and not wanting to take care of it. That's really the issue. MAYBE it's as simple as replacing the 12v fuse. It was on their list. Let's say that is the case. How much sense would it make they hold my car hostage and not replace a fuse that they blew?

UPDATE for today. someone responded that the manager refuses to fix the battery under warranty. I replied (which they have no phone, you can only text) that I don't want a warranty or the battery replaced. I still have all my old parts, brand new. I asked for a picture of the battery as it currently is. They have not responded to that text which was several hours ago.

I thought you mentioned legal action. Also I'm not sure why you are ok with being "screwed". I wish I knew about the opt out clause. I can tell you from experience Tesla lies and screws customers and then hides behind arbitration. My service experiences have be stellar but my delivery experience has been pretty much a string of lies and cover ups. I would not trust any Tesla delivery manager in any way, shape or form. I think what service did was likely reasonable in your case as they may not be able to point to the cause although the car was presumably working when dropped off which is to your favor.

Last edited:
Update:
text me last night 9:09PM saying windshield is installed.
I replied asking for pics. They replied today and below is one of them. Fuse does not appear blown to me. The pictures do not show battery wiring so I'm wondering if it's even connected?? I asked for another further back.
THey warned me about $100/day storage fee for the inop vehicle.

here's what I replied to the email:
Few things:
-All original parts will be to you tomorrow. You can install them and put this issue to rest
-Fuse does not appear blown in the picture
-I would like to see the other end of the brown wire. Is it or is it not connected to the vehicle?
-The battery currently in the car is Tesla specific, contrary to text I received. It is li ion and the vehicle does normally come with lead acid but the battery has electronics internally matched to the Tesla.
Further detail here: https://www.ohmmu.com/product-page/12v-lithium-battery-for-tesla-model-s
Not only is it a Model S specific battery, it has been used in my model S's for over 2 years w/o a single issue.

Have the roof glass and rear door sealing issues been address? If so, what was the issue and repair?

20200113_101353.jpg