Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I just sue Tesla? New record for getting Powned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any further issues I'll handle on my own with local shops.
Gotta respect that position.
they just didn't connect the ground wire they removed
That's because it wasn't a Tesla wire. Electrons flow better through Tesla (TM) wires. Tesla told you so.

I support your view that the 12V battery claims made by Tesla were nonsense.
I don't support that you swapped the battery out on a car with a known defect before Tesla fixed the defect.

There's nothing complicated about the 12v electrical system. Nothing special, nothing Tesla only, no high tech computer. Just because the brand Tesla is on it and it's an electric car, people are fearing themselves into issues that don't exist. Lead acid batteries are extremely inconsistent. You cannot monitor them like li ion stuff. It's just a dummy charger and a circuit just making sure voltage is correct. No different than any ICE vehicle.

if you kept the same chemistry type but changed brands, I don't see a problem with that.

changing TYPES, when there is a CHARGING CIRCUIT, yes, sorry, I DO see a problem with that.

I've built chargers that do lead chem as well as li-ion. they are VERY different charge circuits.

12v is not just 12v when you charge it.

sorry, but you are wrong, here.

Look here; I just read the OP, so if this some off topic party now, anyway; if you havent replaced the battery out of pocket by now, sell the car auction/wholesale, & cut your losses. Its a great clickbait question, thanks, but thats the reasonable solution, especially after arbritration doesn't work in your favor.

• Disagree
Reactions: drklain
Look here; I just read the OP, so if this some off topic party now, anyway; if you havent replaced the battery out of pocket by now, sell the car auction/wholesale, & cut your losses. Its a great clickbait question, thanks, but thats the reasonable solution, especially after arbritration doesn't work in your favor.
Um, the battery he was talking about is his 12V battery, not the 100 kWh battery. And it’s a new car. And it’s (mostly) fixed, so suggesting that he sell his car via auction or wholesale to cut his losses is just bizarre.

Reactions: AMPd and drklain
@Zooomer - Which Chicago location was this? Rosemont, Rolling Meadows, Evanston?

Chicago - Elston | Service Center
3067 N Elston Ave | Chicago, IL 60618

I don't have the tech's name, they never emailed me the invoice. My app doesn't allow me to pull it up. My online account only shows my invoice for FSD purchase. I replied to the text and it says my case is closed. It's very hard to communicate with them.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: technoz and ahkahn
Stop monkeying with your new car! Of course Tesla isn't going to support your aftermarket 12v battery solution. You're surprised by this?
2nd sentence of OP’s initial post: “On way home car is noisy blowing cold air on my head” - he took it in for a leaky roof WHICH HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE 12V SYSTEM.
Please stop beating the poor guy over the head with red herrings.
Tesla did him dirty. Period. Full stop.

Reactions: FlatSix911
2nd sentence of OP’s initial post: “On way home car is noisy blowing cold air on my head” - he took it in for a leaky roof WHICH HAS NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE 12V SYSTEM.
Please stop beating the poor guy over the head with red herrings.
Tesla did him dirty. Period. Full stop.

No question about the fact that Tesla did him dirty. The problem is that once he put a non-OEM battery in (especially one with a different chemistry), any issue found in the 12V system (like the tech messing up and blowing a fuse) will be blamed on the battery.

Getting back on topic, @Zooomer how is the car doing now? Were you able to get the remaining issues taken care of?

Car is back, driving fine. No issues with 12v system. There never have been EVER. Not in my last car, not in this car. Manufacture has over 1000 of these in Model S's with no issues. Fuse on 12v battery is original. The tech didn't blow anything, the system was fine. He removed the ground wire which obviously disconnected 12v power. He then refused to reconnect it. That's it. The information they gave me about the system being shorted out, the fuse being blown, the battery not working, the ground wire not compatible with Tesla was all just a lie.
Getting the car back I suspect what happened is that the tech removed the ground wire to disable 12v and while doing so was like WTF is all that. Then he just relayed info about the system in dramatic fashion to the woman who called me. I gave my 2 cents, the tech refused to work on the car or reconnect the ground wire thinking 'it's not right'. The reason I think that is when I sent in all the stock parts, they put everything back together and used paint pens to mark the nuts and bolts. The only people who do that are fresh out of school, highly procedural oriented techs. A guy that does that isn't going to take customer's word to reconnect it how I had it.

The problem I have is that if the tech wasn't going to connect it, he should have refused to disconnect it or called before working. To disable a customer's car and then blame them for not being able to put it back how it was is ridiculous. It would be like taking your car in for a door seal, they lift it and remove wheels (which are aftermarket 24's). Then they call you and tell you the car is on blocks because your wheels aren't compatible and you owe $100/day storage fee unless you buy factory wheels. When you tell them to just put your wheels back on, they say they can't because they don't fit and the car won't move with the your wheels. Then you get on the forums to complain and everyone tells you you're stupid for putting 24's on the car and they aren't compatible (even tho you've been using them for 2 years w/o issue). Someone tells you big heavy wheels will kill your regen and everyone argues about regen getting 'better' or 'worse' with heavy wheels. Someone else gets in the thread and tells you to sell the car and cut your losses.

Glass all seems to be fine. You can visibly see where they put extra goop on the roof glass. It has a whistle which I can replicate with compressed air in center of car where windshield meets roof glass. Not a big deal and I'll fix when it's warm. There are several small door air leaks which may just be the case with all of them, IDK. The top leak on rear door is fixed.

Still got the bug up your butt for the tech? He's doing his job correctly according to Tesla.
You may think he's "fresh out of school" and "highly procedural oriented", but it's his job that he does every day.
He was clearly trained to do procedures in a certain way to avoid issues that would adversely affect the car.
You, on the other hand, did not do things the way Tesla designed them to be done.
Get over yourself and realize this tech has more information and training on these vehicles than you will ever have no matter how many woofers, tweeters, and head units you've installed.