Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I keep my reservation position if I sell my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I ordered the Model 3 on the first day when it was announced. I am also a Model S owner.

Wonder if people know if you keep your reservation position if you sell your Model S (could sell my car in the near future). I would assume that you do.

Thanks

So I ordered the Model 3 on the first day when it was announced. I am also a Model S owner.

Wonder if people know if you keep your reservation position if you sell your Model S (could sell my car in the near future). I would assume that you do.

Thanks
As a fellow March 31 Model 3 depositor and Model S owner, I have concluded that I will be an early Model 3 owner based on either status. So I don't see why selling your S should make much difference. Am I missing something?

My impression is that when you configure and place your Model 3 order, Tesla looks to see if you are a current owner at that point. Based on that, they prioritize your car's production/delivery - whether you're a current owner or not. So based on my understanding, Tam's suggestion would benefit you, but who would buy a second-hand Tesla and not want to register it with Tesla mothership to use their app?

My impression is that when you configure and place your Model 3 order, Tesla looks to see if you are a current owner at that point. Based on that, they prioritize your car's production/delivery - whether you're a current owner or not.
I'm pretty sure that the existing owner priority gets you into the configurator faster than a comparable non owner, not a faster delivery once you've configured.

To answer the OP though, since Tesla, in all likelihood hasn't created the queues yet your existing owner priority hasn't been applied yet. I would assume as long as your on record as being a current owner when it comes time for the to generate the queue you'll be all set, otherwise, probably not.

I'm pretty sure that the existing owner priority gets you into the configurator faster than a comparable non owner, not a faster delivery once you've configured.

Tough to say though, because even as a non-owner, my MyTesla page says we'll be invited to configure our cars based on Reservation Date, not owner status.

I think owner status comes into play further down the line, i.e. delivery, not configuration.

Tough to say though, because even as a non-owner, my MyTesla page says we'll be invited to configure our cars based on Reservation Date, not owner status.

I think owner status comes into play further down the line, i.e. delivery, not configuration.
I'm not sure about that, the way I read it being a current owner gets you to configure sooner, which would lead to a sooner delivery as well. If Tesla is doing things by region like they say they are they have to cut it off somewhere either by date or number of people allowed to configure at once. If it only comes into play for production and delivery then a non-owner that ordered a few days before an owner may well get to configure sooner.

Could go either way. I'd actually prefer you way since that would put me in front a lot of prior owners.

I'm not sure about that, the way I read it being a current owner gets you to configure sooner, which would lead to a sooner delivery as well. If Tesla is doing things by region like they say they are they have to cut it off somewhere either by date or number of people allowed to configure at once. If it only comes into play for production and delivery then a non-owner that ordered a few days before an owner may well get to configure sooner.

Could go either way. I'd actually prefer you way since that would put me in front a lot of prior owners.

not sure how else to read the highlighted text.........no, really, there is no mention of any other criteria........

Attachments

• m3res.PNG
    m3res.PNG
    18.1 KB · Views: 44
not sure how else to read the highlighted text.........no, really, there is no mention of any other criteria........

Yes, there's no mention of any other criteria. However, we all know there will be. I wouldn't interpret the text to imply anything either way, unless you think somebody in Australia is going to be invited to configure in strict reservation sequence despite the fact they won't be shipping cars there until much later.

Right, but then there is "existing owners will get priority in their queue". I think the queue is to get into the configurator, you think the queue is to get your car produced. Just so long as we're not both right I'll be happy.

Logic would dictate that you're not in the production queue until you configure.

Sooooo...

We'll all be allowed into the Design Studio based on reservation date....then they'll break us out by ownership status.

The language on the MyTesla page makes no mention of ownership status. I think you're reading too much into the wrong step of the process.

Logic would dictate that you're not in the production queue until you configure.
Ahh, see I don't think it's a production queue. Regardless, neither of us knows for sure, and we apparently aren't going to convince the other. If I'm right you can buy me a beer next time I'm in MA, if you're right you can buy me a beer next time you're in Cleveland :D

Ahh, see I don't think it's a production queue. Regardless, neither of us knows for sure, and we apparently aren't going to convince the other. If I'm right you can buy me a beer next time I'm in MA, if you're right you can buy me a beer next time you're in Cleveland :D

That's assuming you can tell how they did it even after the fact. Given past history it will be a subject for debate for years to come.

Reactions: Model 3
I bought a new MS 4months back, and had put in the Model3 order on March 31st. I recently emailed Tesla and got the following response:

-------------
You are correct by becoming a current Tesla owner it will give another level of priority in your Model 3 delivery. Both of your cars are under the same account so there is nothing more you need to do is wait for the new Model 3 announcements and information.

Thanks for adding to your tesla fleet!
-------------

Hope this helps.
cheers