Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need a 50amp outlet? SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't one universal answer for everyone; it all depends on your situation.
What are your driving habits like?
Do you have Superchargers or public charging nearby?

There aren't a lot of people that drive enough to really need more than the 24A charging you'll get from a 30A circuit, but it can be a useful convenience for some people - and matters not at all for others.

I ordered a M3 SR+, and Im getting an outlet installed. Ive read that SR+ are capped at 32 amps charging. Is it a waste to pay for the 50amp outlet or should I just get a 30amp?
I have M3SR+, as well. I put in the 50-amp outlet for when family visits - we have family with MX and M3LR RWD. We also thought we might replace another family ICE with a BEV that mightn’t have been another M3SR+. We ended up going with another M3SR+, but the extra capacity doesn’t hurt anything and we have 400-amp service, so it’s not maxing us out.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The difference in materials for a 30 vs 50 amp receptacle are a pittance compared to the labor.

Do it right the first time and wire a 50 or 60 amp capable circuit. It will cost you like $20 more (maybe $50 if you have an exceptionally long wire run).

Keep in mind your “30 amp” circuit will only deliver 24 amps to your car - not 30.

Great perspective from other posts in this thread. To answer the question in the thread title, "need", no, but if you are putting in the circuit anyway, it will likely cost you very little extra, and helps you not have to spend more later if you get another EV, or eventually get one that allows faster charging, etc.

by putting in the larger circuit now, it cost little extra and you have options.

Note: this above assumes that your home load calculations allow you to have the larger circuit without any charges other than the breaker, wire, and labor to install those properly by an electrician. If (for example) your current electricity service works for a 30amp circuit but doesnt for a 50 amp one without upgrades (unlikely but possible)that would be one situation where it wouldnt be "worth it" to spend a bunch extra to have that 50 amp circuit.

Unlikely scenario though.

I ordered a M3 SR+, and Im getting an outlet installed. Ive read that SR+ are capped at 32 amps charging. Is it a waste to pay for the 50amp outlet or should I just get a 30amp?
There is so little difference in the price between a 30 amp circuit (which charges at only 24 amps BTW) and a 50 amp circuit (which potentially charges at 40 amps, but has no problem charging at 32 amps) that there's just no reason to go with the 30 amp. Most of the cost is the electrician and the wiring. Just get a NEMA 14-50 installed.

I installed a Nema 14-50 on a 50 amp circuit and my car only chooses to charge at 32 amps max.
The newer cars do that. I've never found much practical difference between 32 amps and 40 amps. Both fill the car overnight. However, there is a big practical difference between 24 amp (what a 30 amp circuit provides) and a 32 amp charging rate. 24 amps is also less efficient (wall to car), not as bad as 15 amps though.

Last edited:
The difference in materials for a 30 vs 50 amp receptacle are a pittance compared to the labor.

Do it right the first time and wire a 50 or 60 amp capable circuit. It will cost you like $20 more (maybe $50 if you have an exceptionally long wire run).

Keep in mind your “30 amp” circuit will only deliver 24 amps to your car - not 30.
It depends if the house's panel needs upgrading for the higher amp or not as well (your $20-50 cost difference is misleading)

Other than that, the charge rate difference between a 14-50 and 14-30 is not that significant as upgrading from 120v 15amp

I currently use my 14-30 (240v 24amp draw, getting around 24mph) for my charging needs and see no need to upgrade to 14-50, but usually just trickle charge with 120v 12amp (=5 mph) since I would have to upgrade my 100amp panel to 200amp (cost benefit is not there)

Reactions: Rocky_H
It depends if the house's panel needs upgrading for the higher amp or not as well (your $20-50 cost difference is misleading)

Other than that, the charge rate difference between a 14-50 and 14-30 is not that significant as upgrading from 120v 15amp

I currently use my 14-30 (240v 24amp draw, getting around 24mph) for my charging needs and see no need to upgrade to 14-50, but usually just trickle charge with 120v 12amp (=5 mph) since I would have to upgrade my 100amp panel to 200amp (cost benefit is not there)
I stand by my advice, and it’s not “misleading” for the great majority of people who won’t be in a panel upgrade situation in this scenario.

Do it right the first time. In the great majority of cases the cost difference is negligible.

Reactions: Phlier
Certainly the lower amp circuit is adequate for overnight charging. IF you are paying for an electrician to install a circuit you may want to put in a 100A circuit if you think you might want a second EV. I installed a 50A 14-50 receptacle and then another Tesla showed up in the garage and I had to replace the 50A breaker with 100A to support the additional car.

Certainly the lower amp circuit is adequate for overnight charging. IF you are paying for an electrician to install a circuit you may want to put in a 100A circuit if you think you might want a second EV. I installed a 50A 14-50 receptacle and then another Tesla showed up in the garage and I had to replace the 50A breaker with 100A to support the additional car.
I just put in another 50 amp breaker in the panel (and wiring). No big deal.