TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do I need a garage remote control in order to program homelink?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by DuplexDianne, Sep 26, 2016.

1. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

We moved into a house that didn't have a garage remote...or we can't find it....either way, just wondering if we need to buy a remote so that we can program the homelink...?? There were only a few tidbits from 2012 when I searched the forums...and it was inconclusive...

Please enlighten me :)

2. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Yes, you need an existing remote to "train" homelink. Depending on the age of your opener, it is a 1 or 2 step process.

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I don't recall requiring my remote when programming homelink. If I recall correctly, you need to start the homelink pairing process in the vehicle, then when directed, hold down the yellow (on mine) button on the side of the main unit until it flashes. Then the vehicle should take over from there.

4. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

I bought a remote for $30 just in case...will program the keypad first, then try homelink without the remote. If successful I'll return the remote!

Seems that people have varied experiences with this...

5. travwill

travwill Member

Yes, just had to do this again. Steps are:

1. You start the homelink process in car.
    2. You use your existing remote, and press the opener/remote button, holding it until car's lights blink and it learns the signal.
    3. Final process with most openers (rolling code ones) is that you then press the learn/link button on the garage door unit itself, then go back to the car and do the final step which triggers the car's remote signal - thus linking them to the same rolling code.

-T

6. DuplexDianne

DuplexDianne Member

Didn't need the remote...but keeping it with the house, LOL. Was so easy!! Can't believe we took a month to do it...No more texting..."open garage please"

• Like x 1