Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need a garage remote control in order to program homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We moved into a house that didn't have a garage remote...or we can't find it....either way, just wondering if we need to buy a remote so that we can program the homelink...?? There were only a few tidbits from 2012 when I searched the forums...and it was inconclusive...

Please enlighten me :)

I don't recall requiring my remote when programming homelink. If I recall correctly, you need to start the homelink pairing process in the vehicle, then when directed, hold down the yellow (on mine) button on the side of the main unit until it flashes. Then the vehicle should take over from there.

I don't recall requiring my remote when programming homelink. If I recall correctly, you need to start the homelink pairing process in the vehicle, then when directed, hold down the yellow (on mine) button on the side of the main unit until it flashes. Then the vehicle should take over from there.
I bought a remote for $30 just in case...will program the keypad first, then try homelink without the remote. If successful I'll return the remote!

Seems that people have varied experiences with this...

Yes, just had to do this again. Steps are:

1. You start the homelink process in car.
2. You use your existing remote, and press the opener/remote button, holding it until car's lights blink and it learns the signal.
3. Final process with most openers (rolling code ones) is that you then press the learn/link button on the garage door unit itself, then go back to the car and do the final step which triggers the car's remote signal - thus linking them to the same rolling code.

-T

Yes, just had to do this again. Steps are:

1. You start the homelink process in car.
2. You use your existing remote, and press the opener/remote button, holding it until car's lights blink and it learns the signal.
3. Final process with most openers (rolling code ones) is that you then press the learn/link button on the garage door unit itself, then go back to the car and do the final step which triggers the car's remote signal - thus linking them to the same rolling code.

-T
Didn't need the remote...but keeping it with the house, LOL. Was so easy!! Can't believe we took a month to do it...No more texting..."open garage please"

Reactions: travwill