TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do i need a wall charger?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by theecw, Aug 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. theecw

theecw Member

Hi,

am new to Tesla, and I will get my model 3 this Friday.
    Do I need to charge my car with a wall charger? or can I charge it with the regular electrical extension?
    my daily commute would be around 15 miles. I wonder if I need to charge daily or weekly?

Please let me know?

Thanks,

2. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

If you just mean a regular wall outlet, that'll be fine for that mileage. You'll gain 4-5 miles of charge per hour.

If you ever expect to need to charge at a rate higher than that, you may want a wall connector, but if you will consistently only do 15 miles/day and have a nearby Supercharger for emergencies, you're probably fine without the wall connector.

• Like x 1
  3. Big Dog

Big Dog Member

I'd recommend a heavy duty extension (as opposed to a 'regular' extension that you might use for a light or fan).

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Please visit the Tesla home charging page to review your options
    Home Charging Installation
    and then come back with any specific questions you have

Note that your two main options are a 240V 50A outlet or a Wall Connector (not Charger). The charger is in the car. Also note Tesla recommends plugging in whenever you can— this means every night when you have a garage— whether the car “needs” it or not. It’s better for the battery. You will find that in the battery section of the owners manual IN UPPER CASE LIKE THIS so Tesla must think it’s important.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. SteveD

SteveD Supporting Member

Just my opinion, but if you can afford the car, get a wall charger. I hope you are planning some road trips beyond your daily commute. Are you planning to garage park your car? Cost me about $275 to install and the Tesla power was $500. Not too bad. You can find cheaper power units but the Tesla unit is a nice match for the car.

6. Fejrey

Fejrey New Member

4 or 5 miles of charge per hour is not a lot - you'll probably wish for something faster before too long. Do you have a 220 volt outlet in your garage? That gets you much more range per hour. At 24 or 32 amp I think you get about 23 or 29 miles of range per hour, respectively.
    Note the manual states that Tesla does NOT recommend an extension cord. If you must use one think of it as a temporary fix and make darn sure it's properly rated and the some for the current at which you're going to charge. If it's possible, backing up to the outlet is a better option.

• Helpful x 1
  7. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

No, with such a short commute, a regular 120V receptacle will work. If you run into problems, then consider getting a Wall Connector. I would plug it in daily since the charge time is long with 120V.

8. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

It’s important you understand there’s something in-between a regular 110 outlet and a wall connector. A 110 outlet is going to be inconvenient and become a bottleneck at times, but a 240 amp outlet (similar to, but not exactly the same as, what a clothing dryer connects to) is going to meet all your needs.

The Wall Connector is the premium solution, but having a 240amp outlet installed with a NEMA 14-50 outlet is the mainstream solution. You don’t want to settle for a regular 110 outlet unless cost of a 240 outlet is excessive or installation is prohibited (I.e. renter.). Instructions on what you need are here:
    Tesla
    The NEMA 14-50 will work with the mobile connector that comes with the car (same as a 110 outlet, but with a different adapter.) Cost will depend on distance from your electrical panel to your charging location.

• Helpful x 1
  9. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Honestly if I only drove 15 miles a day I'd just use the 110v regular socket.

It'll fully replace what you used in about 3 hours. Why spend $500-1000 bucks to do that in 30 minutes instead, if you're charging overnight anyway?

Now if you mean you only drive 15 miles to/from work, but ALSO drive a lot more than that outside of work, might be another story.

• Like x 1
  10. TexasEV

240 Volts, not amps. The recommended NEMA 14-50 outlet is a 240V, 50A circuit.

• Like x 1
  11. compu85

compu85 Supporting Member

And, even if you can't get a full 50A circuit (for example, if your panel is full), a 240v circuit will charge twice as fast as a 110v circuit at the same amps.

So, say you had a dedicated 120v outlet in your garage for a freezer or something. You could have an electrician change the breaker, and change the outlet to a 15a 240v outlet without needing to change the wire in the wall. Then you just need to get the appropriate adapter for your mobile cable.

-J

• Like x 1
  12. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

120volt will NOT do the trick in cold climates. On phone so can't see location.
    Temps below 50f can begin to limit Regen increasing energy use.
    This is glossed over too often.

A 14-50 outlet is plenty for daily use for pretty much everyone. That said the wire sizing upgrade to make the circuit wall connector a real upgrade is cheap despite popular belief. The wall connector on the same wiring used for a 14-50 outlet allows you to charge 8 amps faster 40 instead of 32amps.
    I believe in having a backup option which suggests at minimum a second UMC which is $300 the HCWC is $500 so if you want a backup solution a $200 difference will let you charge at 40amps instead of 32. Maybe that benefits a house guest or you for weekend trips if not daily.
    From there upsizing the wire is cheap too so you could future proof with capacity for load sharing wall connectors and such.

A little excess capacity now is chepech than doing it over when you get a job farther from home or the like later or maybe you get a referral HCWC free. Wouldn't it suck to "save" $100 now just to have to start over to and completely rewire at a cost of hundreds of dollars to use a free wall connector later?

Here near Green Bay I got by on 120volt 15amp in summer but a 240volt 30amp outlet was barely enough in winter due to inefficient battery warming instead of a marginal upgrade to 50amp I went to a 100amp HCWC install, can load share later or in the case of my dual charger MS charge at over 50mph if I get back from a trip low on range.

• Like x 1
  13. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Keep in mind, too, that a Tesla will quite likely be more fun to drive than any other car you've owned. You will probably look for excuses to drive it. No joke. After we got our first Tesla we literally contrived barely justifiable reasons to take a drive. "Hey! There's a new Costco 20 miles away. Let's go check it out." (Why? Because it's going to be different than all the other Costcos?!?)

• Like x 1
  14. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

While you say you only drive 15 miles a day, there are always exceptions to that, and when those happen, you will end up in a bind and wonder why it takes so long. Do you have a mud room next to a garage with a 220 / 30 amp outlet? Even that is more than enough. (and an extension cord could get you through the rough patches) but from experience a 110/15 outlet will feel like an eternity when you need to wait on it.

Plus, how far is your electrical panel? Do you own? if the electrical run is short there is no reason not to do it really.

Do you need to buy the HPWC? Absolutely not. I use a nema 30 amp outlet with my mobile charger and that is plenty for me. ( that does require an adapter from tesla )

15. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Right now that 120V outlet sounds fine for your bare minimum use you are describing, but yeah, pretty frequently you are going to find that to be restricting and a frustration. I would definitely recommend some kind of 240V circuit, which will at least double your charging speed. With your small amount of driving, though, you probably don't need to go huge into overkill territory. So something like a 20 or 30A outlet at 240V would do fine and be reasonable price to install. You live in Long Beach, too, so within about a 10-15 mile radius around you, there are 7 Tesla Superchargers, so you have options if you do need fast charging every once in a while.

• Like x 2
  16. karpetkutter

karpetkutter Member

Id just use your included 120V adapter. If you choose to drive more you have multiple SC options in the area

17. theecw

theecw Member

No, I will use it all the time. But, I live next to my work, and everything close by. So maybe i will spend less than 50mile /per day

18. theecw

theecw Member

I have 110 now in the garage. the panel actually inside the garage. But i was going to build an additon and move the garage so i didn't want to install the wall for now.

Is the 110Volt will do the job or i need to replace it to 220Volt?

19. TexasEV

Obviously you have never tried to use a supercharger in Southern California. If someone has the ability to install 240V charging at home they should do it. Assuming you’re going to have the car and the home for several years it will be worth it. There’s nothing like waking up every day to a full charge.

20. TexasEV

if it’s a dedicated circuit, just convert it to 240V 20A assuming your wire size is appropriate for that. Tesla makes a NEMA 6-20 adapter. It will charge more than twice the rate of a 120V 15A outlet. Minimal cost and well worth it for temporary use until your new garage is built.

• Like x 1