Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I Need an Adapter, or....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I'll be getting my Lemur soon, if all goes well. For the immediate future, I plan on charging right out of a 3-prong, 30-amp, 220-V plug already in my garage. Picture attached. I'm wondering if I can use this plug as it is, with some sort of adapter that might come with the Model 3, or whether I need to make some electrical changes.
Thanks for any input!

220%20plug%20receptacle.jpg

Hello everyone,
I'll be getting my Lemur soon, if all goes well. For the immediate future, I plan on charging right out of a 3-prong, 30-amp, 220-V plug already in my garage. Picture attached. I'm wondering if I can use this plug as it is, with some sort of adapter that might come with the Model 3, or whether I need to make some electrical changes.
Thanks for any input!

220%20plug%20receptacle.jpg
Your attachment didn't work.

Your Model 3 will not come with the correct adapter to work on a 30 amp plug. You might be able to buy the appropriate adapter from Tesla's website here: Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

Check out the 10-30 and the 14-30 and see if that's what you have. If so, order one and you're good to charge at a maximum of 24 amps (80% of 30 amps).

For the Model 3 Mobile Connector, I think the term adapter is misleading because you are swapping the plug of the mobile connector instead of adding an adapter to what is already there. Adapter sounds like a less than perfect solution but this is not actually an adapter.

The mobile connector comes with two plugs, 110V and Nema 14-50. You will be buying a third one. See the video here.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
For the Model 3 Mobile Connector, I think the term adapter is misleading because you are swapping the plug of the mobile connector instead of adding an adapter to what is already there. Adapter sounds like a less than perfect solution but this is not actually an adapter.

The mobile connector comes with two plugs, 110V and Nema 14-50. You will be buying a third one. See the video here.
Why are you so opposed to calling them adapters and think it's misleading? That's exactly the name Tesla uses in their online store, where they sell the various adapters for the mobile charge cable.
Model S/X/3 Gen 2 NEMA Adapters

It shouldn't be hard to rotate the outlet 180 degrees so the ground pin (L-shaped) is up. First, turn off the breaker. Use a meter or one of those simple testers that lights up to verify the outlet is cold.

52060_zoom.jpg

Remove the cover plate and the screws holding the outlet. Carefully pull the outlet a little ways out of the electrical box. Take a good look at the wires and gently rotate the outlet in whichever direction will twist the wires the least. If the wires in the box are too short, you might have to detach one or more of them from the outlet and reattach them with the outlet in the correct orientation, but I would be surprised if that were the case. Push the outlet back in and screw it down, then replace the cover. Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Much better than using hooks and things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Need and Big Earl
It shouldn't be hard to rotate the outlet 180 degrees so the ground pin (L-shaped) is up. First, turn off the breaker. Use a meter or one of those simple testers that lights up to verify the outlet is cold.

52060_zoom.jpg

I had a 14-50 outlet that was upside down for a year. I put a ladder in front of it and hang the brick on one of the steps. When we had our solar installed, the solar electrician saw it and flipped it around for us. :)