Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need an additional dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why should I invest in another dashcam if there are so many cameras on the car already.

Just thought I would put the question out as I see a lot of videos and people saying they have 3rd party dashcams installed.

I wanted to gather some views on this. The footage from Tesla dashcams isnt great, is that the only reason?

Why should I invest in another dashcam if there are so many cameras on the car already.

Just thought I would put the question out as I see a lot of videos and people saying they have 3rd party dashcams installed.

I wanted to gather some views on this. The footage from Tesla dashcams isnt great, is that the only reason?

It's better to have some redundancy system. Tesla is not a traditional dashcam and there have been numerous occasions that owners sought help when they couldn't find Tesla cam footage after an incident. It would also be nice if there's sound recording too.

Reactions: Fourdoor
No telemetry data and no sound on the Tesla dash cam. For insurance purposes having your vehicle speed, direction of travel, weather conditions etc. along with audio are an advantage. Also it is an independent system less likely to glitch out on you in an accident.

Keith

• Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
I would absolutely recommend getting a dashcam which is independent of the Tesla dashcam because of some of the following reasons:

1. A dashcam should be recording all the time.

- The Tesla dashcam saves the information ONLY when you press the horn or click the Sentry button, so you might forget doing so.​
- It would be great if the Tesla dashcam automatically save recording in case you hit something or press hard on the brake pedal.​

2. The quality of the Tesla recording is not enough to capture license plate number compared with a High resolution dascam.

3. Don't expect getting a constant recording simultaneously of all the 4 cameras at the same time.

When comparing my dashcam recording and Tesla recording, it seems that the Tesla dashcam,​
because there are now 4 cameras, shows only small amounts of separate recordings​
with maybe an interval of one second, so it can be difficult to really understand what really occurred.​

For example I was reviewing a recording of a car entering into a freeway from a side roadway.​
I was on the right-most lane, and this car went very close to my rear bumper from right to left.​
Then this car went to the left-most left lane and ran away very fast.​
I didn’t get hit, but this was a little bit scary situation.​
I can try to post the video, or extract some pics, but I can tell you that the Tesla dashcam recording saved only​
some short snapshots. So if I had been hit by this car, the impact time might have not been saved.​
Making difficult to show who would have been at fault.​
By opposition, my dashcam provides two separates front and rear continuous recordings of one minute​
and each recording overlap the previous and the following one, so you cannot miss any information.​
4. A dashcam can records speed, gives acceleration-deceleration information, and voice recording, which can be useful to review.

5. Tesla now provides remote access of the 4 cameras when parked, this is a great feature except that my phone App cannot be connected?

My dashcam can be connected to the cloud using a WiFi hotspot, and this was working flawlessly compared to my Tesla phone App,​

6. Keeping running Sentry for a long time can drain your propulsion battery.

A dashcam by opposition could use a small separate battery when the car is sleeping.​
7. Very often I prefer not to have Sentry running at night, because Sentry flashing cannot be suppressed and you cannot adjust sensitivity.

With my dashcam, I can adjust the sensitivity of event detection, and select or suppress some areas when there is for example a florescent light nearby.​
8. Very often, I cannot retrieve a Tesla recording of an event that I was expecting to have saved? I noticed similar comments on other TMC threads.

Last edited:
...Why...
Another brand new important incident that's not recorded by TeslaCam/Sentry but non-important stuff was. I have a feeling that this will not be the last TeslaCam disappointment:

Reactions: Ormond
I would absolutely recommend getting a dashcam which is independent of the Tesla dashcam because of some of the following reasons:

1. A dashcam should be recording all the time.

- The Tesla dashcam saves the information ONLY when you press the horn or click the Sentry button, so you might forget doing so.​
- It would be great if the Tesla dashcam automatically save recording in case you hit something or press hard on the brake pedal.​

2. The quality of the Tesla recording is not enough to capture license plate number compared with a High resolution dascam.

3. Don't expect getting a constant recording simultaneously of all the 4 cameras at the same time.

When comparing my dashcam recording and Tesla recording, it seems that the Tesla dashcam,​
because there are now 4 cameras, shows only small amounts of separate recordings​
with maybe an interval of one second, so it can be difficult to really understand what really occurred.​

For example I was reviewing a recording of a car entering into a freeway from a side roadway.​
I was on the right-most lane, and this car went very close to my rear bumper from right to left.​
Then this car went to the left-most left lane and ran away very fast.​
I didn’t get hit, but this was a little bit scary situation.​
I can try to post the video, or extract some pics, but I can tell you that the Tesla dashcam recording saved only​
some short snapshots. So if I had been hit by this car, the impact time might have not been saved.​
Making difficult to show who would have been at fault.​
By opposition, my dashcam provides two separates front and rear continuous recordings of one minute​
and each recording overlap the previous and the following one, so you cannot miss any information.​
4. A dashcam can records speed, gives acceleration-deceleration information, and voice recording, which can be useful to review.

5. Tesla now provides remote access of the 4 cameras when parked, this is a great feature except that my phone App cannot be connected?

My dashcam can be connected to the cloud using a WiFi hotspot, and this was working flawlessly compared to my Tesla phone App,​

6. Keeping running Sentry for a long time can drain your propulsion battery.

A dashcam by opposition could use a small separate battery when the car is sleeping.​
7. Very often I prefer not to have Sentry running at night, because Sentry flashing cannot be suppressed and you cannot adjust sensitivity.

With my dashcam, I can adjust the sensitivity of event detection, and select or suppress some areas when there is for example a florescent light nearby.​
8. Very often, I cannot retrieve a Tesla recording of an event that I was expecting to have saved? I noticed similar comments on other TMC threads.
Which dashcam do you recommend?

Reactions: dodukes
I had a BlackView cam on my model S for peace of mind (mine didn't have any cameras). It worked great, had it powered up by the extra power plug overhead so it worked as though it was built in. There were some extra perks I liked, such as GPS location, speed etc.

Fast forward to the Y and the accessibility we have to them now has made the built-in ones a much better option. The quality is the same (as I didn't have the high-end Blackview but not an entry-level either), when someone walks by, it takes the video with a flash of the headlights, so it's bright, having 4 angles is useful.

In both cases, I thankfully haven't had to use them for legal reasons, but I wouldn't even consider a 3rd party one now. Granted I drive a lot less, and my Y is garage kept, thus I have fewer reasons to need one, but I find the built-in ones work great unless you want to splurge and get a high-end 3rd party one.

Reactions: Lucas007
I have not yet found a camera with a long-duration battery for continuous sentry-style recording, though. Best plan I've come up with so far is to build a hidden power pack that can supply an off-the-shelf camera continuously up to a few days, then fast-charge from 12V when the car's back on, but then that raises the question of how an off-the-shelf camera would handle continuous operation in a hot car
You could use an UPS Power Supply with Built-in Battery (See this $50 10,000 mAh or $75 20,000 mAh)

I'm thinking about installing this rear view mirror mount dash cam which I already have from my previous car.

Mirror mount dash cam

I think this would be good on a Model Y because the car has pretty poor visibility through the rear window and the rear camera on this dashcam should give a much improved view on the dash cam's big display. However you have to train the focus of your eyes a bit to use it because your are looking close up at the display instead of long distance through a mirror.

It's also a pretty good dash cam although it would be nice if it had 4K support. You mount the dash cam on the Tesla's rear view mirror and if the dash cam is turned off, you can tilt the display and it also works as a regular mirror. When the dash cam is turned on, you get a nice sharp LCD display which can show a rear view, front view, or both side-by-side.

I could use the 12V socket in the front console to power it, but I'd rather find a place under the dashboard to get 12V power. I haven't yet searched to see how to do that.