TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do I need purchase HPWC online in advance ?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZooSean, May 11, 2018.

1. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

or I can just get one at Tesla service center?

2. eros

eros Member

If you have your VIN, you can purchase one online

3. richyrich

richyrich TM3 LR RWD

I've seen this before and I'm confused - I had no VIN when I ordered it and I didn't get asked to enter one, just added it to my basket, paid and got it delivered. Did it change?

4. ZooSean

ZooSean ZOO

My question is if they have one in stock at service center?

5. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

I
    I was told earlier this week at Lawrence that due to the Model 3 delivery push and higher demand, they are only available to be order online and not available in store

• Like x 1
  6. rypalmer

rypalmer Active Member

I've seen huge stacks of them at Lawrence. I feel like you can walk up and buy one. Calling them tomorrow would answer the question pretty quickly.

7. pkodali

pkodali Banned

If you haven't used a referral code on your Tesla order and use mine, I can send a free hpwc your way!

8. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

The mixed messages and communication is frustrating. They told me they were sold out. I ended up ordering online and should get it Tuesday as per the tracking

9. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

I
    I wish, but I'm getting the model 3 (no referrals..alrrady tried). If you are successful, I would definitely take the kids model s referral prize off your hands (my son would love it)

10. pkodali

pkodali Banned

Haha, if you can get someone to use my.code I can definitely send the car your way. Trying to get to 5

11. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

Is there a difference in price between buying online or in store?

12. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

Seems to be the same price. I ordered on Thursday, and it's coming on Tuesday, so not too bad

13. T3slaCanuck

T3slaCanuck Member

Then I don't see why people care whether they get it in store or online. Hell, I'd rather just get it delivered straight to my door. Saves me from wasting energy and burning calories doing all that walkin'.

14. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

Why do people bother with these rather than just getting a 14-50 receptacle installed in their garage etc? The car comes with a big charging cord and various plugs (interchangeable) including a nema 14-50.

Just curious. Installation costs will be similar but the hardware costs of installing a receptacle will be a fraction of buying a $600 HPWC.

15. rdturner0

rdturner0 Member

I bothered because I didn't want to have to get the cable out of the car each day (I want to make sure my travel cable is always with the car), and the connector is easier to insert, and has higher current carrying capacity (not really needed in most cases).

And it looks cool... :)

Each to their own....but those are my reasons.

• Like x 6
  16. IdaX

IdaX Member

HPWC is a much more elegant solution than a 14-50 outlet. Among other things, it allows you to keep your universal charging cable in your car in case you need to use it while you're travelling... plus more organized, and will share power with another HPWC when you get a second Tesla! (I just did and the power sharing is awesome)

• Like x 3
  17. PeterK

PeterK Model X & 3 Owner

#17 PeterK, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
    I’ve had an S and now X for over five years now, and those were my reasons for putting an HPWC in the garage: faster charging (80a on my S and 72a on my X vs 40a), no risk of forgetting the cable (always want to have it in the car for emergencies), and less hassle as well as safer to not be constantly plugging and unplugging a 240v plug, especially if one of my kids does it.

HPWC looks cool plus AFAIK the handle is not energized until it does a handshake with the car prior to starting to charge, so much safer to handle.

That said, when we installed solar I added a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the driveway, to have a backup charging location. Glad I did because we will soon have an AWD Model 3 join our X.

———

Update: just got out my multimeter to check. It measured 0.1 volts at the HPWC handle’s power points.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. realtycoon

realtycoon Member

In Ontsrio, you get half the purchase price back as a rebale, so only $300

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

It definitely looks better.

It's not easier to insert it's the same.

It's good for higher power but not necessary as you say.

But why would you have to get the cable 'out of the car each day'. Keeping it in the car always doesn't make sense. Unless you went somewhere super remote away from home for a while where you had to plug into 110 to charge.

Personally I have only used my cable 1x away from home in 30,000 kms of ownership. It lives in the garage.

Superchargers and level 2 chargers have their own cables.

20. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

14-50 is what...30 bucks? Still 1/10th.