Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need snow tires for my new 2021 Model S LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From my experience, my Model S (P100DL) turns into a sled on the slightest amount of snow if I don't have my snows on it. I would strongly suggest it. I have Pirelli Sotto 0's on a second set of rims. Also, went with non-staggered for the winter ones.

Reactions: MattMac
I agree, winter tires are dramatically better than all season. Check your local craigslist to find somebody that has taken wheels off their car, and then just keep a set mounted on a separate set of wheels and change them out seasonally.

Reactions: bhzmark
What tires are currently on your car? Trying to drive any car in the snow with summer tires is a recipe for disaster. If you have all season tires you may not need winter tires depending on where you plan to drive the car. Up and down mountain passes? Maybe. Around town on plowed streets? All seasons will be fine.

Reactions: MattMac
Important to remember there is can be a difference between winter tires and studless snow tires. If you expect to encounter ice you should opt for tires built for it. bridgestone blizzak, nokian hakkapeliitta, michelin x ice snow are all good. I have the X-ice on a extra set of 19” rims and they are great. I recommend going with 19”’s. Cost less and handle rough conditions better than 21”’s

I drove in 1 to 2 inches of snow on the way home last night on all season tires. I was going slow and still ended up sliding through a red light. Fortunately the other driver was paying attention. When I got home, I compared stopping to my Ford Escape with blizzak winter tires and it was night and day difference in same area.

Snow tires are DEFINITELY worth it. One avoided accident can pay for them and then some.

I learned living in Germany for ten years, have two sets of tires/wheels. I have two. Change out in April and October. Yes I live in Florida, but I go to DC a lot in winter. The winter are normal M&S. Summer are very little profile high speed 102 rating. U live up north in snow and ice, please get winter tires. I did have a surprise one day of being sideways in snow. U need all the help u can get if going fast.