TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do I need the HPWC to use the twin chargers?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ChargedUp, Feb 5, 2013.

1. ChargedUp

ChargedUp Member

Do I need the HPWC to be able to take advantage of the twin chargers when at a high power charging station? Or, can I use the standard cable?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

The HPWC is a home mounted unit. If you're at a high capacity charger (say a 70 amp J1772) there will be a cable and connector there, so if you have the twin chargers you'll be able to take advantage of the additional charge capacity. It won't matter if you have an HPWC at all.

3. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

If you are referring to the Roadster High Power stations, then you need an adapter. I understand they go for about $650.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The HPWC is a High power EVSE capable of up to 80 amps. There are others that are becoming more prevalent. EVSE's come with their own cable, and you will not be using the mobile connector which plugs into an AC power source, either 120v or 240V. One onboard charger will allow you to use only 40 amps of the High Power EVSE's capability.

5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

A lot of the Roadster connectors along 101 in California have been converted to J connectors, and all you need is the adapter that comes with the S.

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Another option is to build (or find someone who will build for you) a 75A OpenEVSE.

The "standard cable" that you speak of -- if you're referring to the UMC -- is listed and rated for 50A only (through which only a 40A continuous load may be drawn), and so it has a limit of 10 kW (single charger).