Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need the keyfob on the 2022 refresh MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -- I just picked up my MX today, seemingly seems all clear on delivery with no issues to speak of (other than some tags left on the seats that took a little leather cleaner to remove properly). I also got key fobs in the car which ... I don't know what to do with. I'm sure they have utility, but I have the wallet keycard in my wallet (as does my wife), and we use the phone key as well.

Is there any point in the key fob, or can I just store it somewhere? Appreciate any insight.

Hi all -- I just picked up my MX today, seemingly seems all clear on delivery with no issues to speak of (other than some tags left on the seats that took a little leather cleaner to remove properly). I also got key fobs in the car which ... I don't know what to do with. I'm sure they have utility, but I have the wallet keycard in my wallet (as does my wife), and we use the phone key as well.

Is there any point in the key fob, or can I just store it somewhere? Appreciate any insight.
All personal preference. The fob does allow very easy access to all the doors, trunk and frunk. You can access those features with the phone app, but it probably requires more effort. The key card is handy to leave the vehicle unlocked. Bottom line? it depends. I use all three.

Never activated the fobs - still have pull strips in em. Don’t use cards either. Phone only with zero issues...to my surprise
Tesla suggests carrying the card if you mainly use your phone as key. It was mandatory with my Model 3, because the phone as key frequently failed. So far with my new X, it has not failed, but I am only four days in.

• Helpful
Reactions: n.one.one
My experience is the keyfob works more reliability to open the door, etc. With my phone, I sometimes have to actually unlock the phone. So personally I carry the fob.
To improve performance of the phone as key, set location services for the app on your phone to ALWAYS. Most apps default to "while using" iOS and I assume Android will complain about your "Always" setting, but it will allow your "phone as key to always work. Another thing, if you have more than one Tesla vehicle active on your phone, the one you are driving must be the selected in the app at that time.

I used to be a very solid fob fan. But the phone as key works so well on my new X, I have pretty much changed my mind on that. Again, completely up to you and your prefs. That is why we got all three methods.

To improve performance of the phone as key, set location services for the app on your phone to ALWAYS. Most apps default to "while using" iOS and I assume Android will complain about your "Always" setting, but it will allow your "phone as key to always work. Another thing, if you have more than one Tesla vehicle active on your phone, the one you are driving must be the selected in the app at that time.

I used to be a very solid fob fan. But the phone as key works so well on my new X, I have pretty much changed my mind on that. Again, completely up to you and your prefs. That is why we got all three methods.
Thanks for the tip. The other issue I have is I don't always carry my phone with me. If I am just running to the store I won't bother to look for it if I don't happen to have it with me. Fob has key to the house, which I don't leave home without.

Also, having to switch cars on the phone is sort of pain for us since we have each car under different email accounts. So it is log out, and log in to use the phone as key.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. The other issue I have is I don't always carry my phone with me. If I am just running to the store I won't bother to look for it if I don't happen to have it with me. Fob has key to the house, which I don't leave home without.
In my case, my phone is always with me. Because my phone is also the key to my house. So it is very easy for me to always use the phone.
Also, having to switch cars on the phone is sort of pain for us since we have each car under different email accounts. So it is log out, and log in to use the phone as key.
We run with both cars in the same account, so it is just a matter of flipping vehicles in the app to switch. But switching cars is something we don't often do. In your case, it sounds like the fob is the right answer. Adaptable based on everyone's usage pattern.

Reactions: jboy210
In my case, my phone is always with me. Because my phone is also the key to my house. So it is very easy for me to always use the phone.

We run with both cars in the same account, so it is just a matter of flipping vehicles in the app to switch. But switching cars is something we don't often do. In your case, it sounds like the fob is the right answer. Adaptable based on everyone's usage pattern.
Yep fob for us. My wife went out and bought a fob when she got her Model 3 and there was not one!

i've had my car for 3 months now. i never used the fobs. didn't realize you had to PROGRAM them to your car basically. i tried last night and it took me about 50 tries to get it right. instructions seem simple enough? i tried with the car on the charger, off the charger, i tried with my phone connected, not connected, i tried using the key card to get in, no key card...after trying every possible scenario...i heard a "chime" and the key started to work. that's TESLA for ya! i only have the key fob in case someone in the house needs to use the car and doesn't know anything about it

I use it for my parking garage valet service!

Although I am waiting for my MXP to deliver, I currently have a ‘22 MYP and I bought a key fob (Y’s don’t come with them) and I find it very useful for my parking garage that has valet service.

When I give them the Tesla credit card: as soon as I walk away with my cellphone (this is expected to occur obviously), the car automatically locks and rolls up the windows. I’ve had the garage call me asking me to unlock the car so they can valet it. They usually prefer to keep the key in the cup holder and leave the window down. But the confusion between my cellphone (phone key) and the credit card key, the cellphone always wins.

When I give them the key fob: I bring the Tesla key fob with me and detach it from my key ring when I get to the valet service. Even if I walk away with my phone in my pocket, the key fob is in the car so the Tesla does not lock or roll up the windows.

To make sure I don’t forget the key fob, I have an apple AirTag on it and I get a text when I’ve left the house without the key fob.

Works like a charm and I do this every day for work.

• Helpful
On top of all of this there is a 4th way. If you have an Apple Watch you can use the watch to lock, unlock, and even start the car, among other things, all without your phone (if you have the cellular plan on the AW). You need a 3rd party app like Tessie or similar.

I too only use my phone. But when I don’t have my phone, I use my watch. It’s pretty slick in a James Bond kinda way.

• Helpful
That's a workable plan...until there is a problem.
From many comments on this forum most folks carry a key card as a backup for when there is an issue.
I've had near field connectivity issues before with my 3/Phone. I'm also a phone + phone case only guy (very liberating btw not having to carrying a wallet nor a janitor's stash of keys). My case can only hold 3 cards so I have my DL, CC #1 and CC# 2. This made me a bit worried that I wouldn't have my key card on me when the car starts to act up. However you can still go into the app and you can unlock/start the car. This assumes you and the car have cell service though. Wish I had known that a couple months ago, wife had to have her parents come pick her up since her phone wasn't unlocking the car. All she would have had to do was call me and I could have remotely unlocked/started the car. Live and learn.

• Informative