Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need therapy (A90 out of Dundee)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my 1 month old Tesla MX and try to be kind to it. One of my pleasures as an old man is seeing if I can keep the watts/mile average down for each trip. However I did it again today. Coming back up the road from Edinburgh and after all the interminable roundabouts round Dundee I come out of the very last roundabout, I eventually hit the derestriction signs after all those 40 and 50mph stretches. The road in front is relatively clear, steep uphill, dual carriageway and can I resist putting my foot down? Away I go passing all the other cars on that uphill stretch with a big smile on my face, then I look at my energy useage. What have I done to my average, no way am I going to recover all that. Why on earth do I do it every single time?

Our final 1/2 mile home is all uphill, not huge, but enough to put a dent into what would be otherwise decent averages. :( At least your final sprint puts a smile on your face. :)

dayDrives.png

Last edited:
...and can I resist putting my foot down? Away I go passing all the other cars on that uphill stretch with a big smile on my face, then I look at my energy useage. What have I done to my average, no way am I going to recover all that. Why on earth do I do it every single time?

It never gets old! When you can actually resist, then it's time to preplan the funeral ;)

I love my 1 month old Tesla MX and try to be kind to it. One of my pleasures as an old man is seeing if I can keep the watts/mile average down for each trip. However I did it again today. Coming back up the road from Edinburgh and after all the interminable roundabouts round Dundee I come out of the very last roundabout, I eventually hit the derestriction signs after all those 40 and 50mph stretches. The road in front is relatively clear, steep uphill, dual carriageway and can I resist putting my foot down? Away I go passing all the other cars on that uphill stretch with a big smile on my face, then I look at my energy useage. What have I done to my average, no way am I going to recover all that. Why on earth do I do it every single time?

Just think to yourself 'regen on the way down, it'll be fine'. And do it again. It is in its self therapy to stop you sliding towards hypermiling and riding the road ridges...

Coming back up the road from Edinburgh and after all the interminable roundabouts round Dundee I come out of the very last roundabout, I eventually hit the derestriction signs after all those 40 and 50mph stretches. The road in front is relatively clear, steep uphill, dual carriageway and can I resist putting my foot down?

the escape from Dundee back to 70 is a win in every car, and a brilliant test of power and acceleration of any vehicle, I cannot wait to do exactly what you describe for the first time in a Tesla! That and the road out of the Laurencekirk 50 zone Which is flat and resurfaced and a lovely road to flex a car (legally!) on

Reactions: MacPaul
the escape from Dundee back to 70 is a win in every car, and a brilliant test of power and acceleration of any vehicle, I cannot wait to do exactly what you describe for the first time in a Tesla! That and the road out of the Laurencekirk 50 zone Which is flat and resurfaced and a lovely road to flex a car (legally!) on

Fortunately, or unfortunately I turn off before Laurencekirk as I live over the Cairn so I miss the escape from the Laurencekirk restrictions!

Reactions: M3-Newbie
Fortunately, or unfortunately I turn off before Laurencekirk as I live over the Cairn so I miss the escape from the Laurencekirk restrictions!

I’ll class it as Fortunate! because ‘that place’ is where i got my one and only speeding points in 2013 on the way in going south,... so whenever i hear or read/drive through ‘the place I’d rather not name’ i shudder - it took a lot to even write the word!! It did its job though and i watch those signs like a hawk now for ‘that place’ I’m sure the place itself is lovely, but the name, and that road puts fear in my heart!! (Even on the train when its announced - haha!) it is huge progress i even managed to write it down and talk about it!

However, My positive memory of the way out of ’that place’ is that my first experience in a Porsche there on way back up from edin once was incredible and i can pinpoint it as the very place and the very second i became interested in a powerful car because having been very gentle in (my business partner’s Cayenne turbo S) all the way from edinburgh, By the time i got there i felt more in tune with the car, and knowing the stretch so well, i put my foot down on escaping ‘that place’ and experienced what rapid acceleration really is.

I have never known a 0-60 time or what was good or bad for one.... until about 2 months ago.... Or even cared - cars for me were for getting from a-b in a bit of style/comfort and being easy enough to keep clean/not show dirt too much.. (yes that’s me...) but The 0-60 in that is 4.5 seconds (thanks google) and i only went from late 40’s/50 to 70 and a couple - but what an acceleration it was! And the idea that even my long range (non performance) is going to be faster and more responsive than that is insane! I should say I haven’t test driven this car as ordered out of necessity during covid so the whole thing is going to be a surprise (and i CANT WAIT)

Couldn’t resist It again last Wednesday especially as there was a souped up Corsa right on my tail. Only problem was I hadn’t prepared for it so had to stop in the next lay-by to recover all the odds and ends that had been lying around loose and scattered to the 4 corners of the car when I accelerated away. Of course while I was tidying things up the Corsa went past!

Reactions: M3-Newbie
Couldn’t resist It again last Wednesday especially as there was a souped up Corsa right on my tail. Only problem was I hadn’t prepared for it so had to stop in the next lay-by to recover all the odds and ends that had been lying around loose and scattered to the 4 corners of the car when I accelerated away. Of course while I was tidying things up the Corsa went past!

first go at that in a Tesla on the way up tonight and it was everything I dreamed of and more! :D

Glasgow to Aberdeen was a dream on the cruise control but then got that turned off for both of these cheeky accelerations and got a bonus one after some roadworks too. I can’t begin to imagine how the performance one feels after the speed of the LR!