Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to be in my car to know whether there's an update for my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new model Y and I’m waiting for the new update which will give me park assist despite having no USS. Do I need to be in my car to know whether there is a new software update or should I be able to check for updates in the Tesla mobile app. Just wondering if it’s worth walking out to my car to check once a day on days I’m not driving.

The mobile app doesn’t give me any indication that it’s checking for updates like the car does so I don’t know whether it is actually checking or not.

Do I need to be in my car to know whether there is a new software update or should I be able to check for updates in the Tesla mobile app

No, you dont have to be in your car, the app will show you when you have an update available. There isnt a check for update button, but you see an option to install an update for your car in your app when its available.

So, no need to continuously go to the car and hit check for update. The car might show it a little sooner than the app will (like perhaps the car shows you have an update and the app wont show its available for your car till later that day or even early the next day), but you wont miss it.

I have a new model Y and I’m waiting for the new update which will give me park assist despite having no USS. Do I need to be in my car to know whether there is a new software update or should I be able to check for updates in the Tesla mobile app. Just wondering if it’s worth walking out to my car to check once a day on days I’m not driving.

The mobile app doesn’t give me any indication that it’s checking for updates like the car does so I don’t know whether it is actually checking or not.
No, you will get a notification from the Tesla app on your phone (unless you have disabled notifications). So just sit back and relax! :)

Will I still see updates in the mobile app even if my car does not have a wifi connection (and hence can't send out a push notification to the mobile app)? While I do technically have wifi in my shared HOA garage, the signal is a bit weak and it's kind of hit or miss. I'll probably move my car and use the mobile hotspot on my phone to download once available and I don't have a lot of faith that the car will stay connected to wifi in the garage at all times.

Will I still see updates in the mobile app even if my car does not have a wifi connection (and hence can't send out a push notification to the mobile app)? While I do technically have wifi in my shared HOA garage, the signal is a bit weak and it's kind of hit or miss. I'll probably move my car and use the mobile hotspot on my phone to download once available and I don't have a lot of faith that the car will stay connected to wifi in the garage at all times.
Good question, and I'm not certain if the path is Tesla > Car > Phone App or Tesla > Car and Tesla > Phone App. One work-around for lack of WiFi is to use your phone as a Wifi Hotspot for the car (if your phone has this feature and you are ok doing the download via your cellular plan).

My wifi to the car is sometimes a little touch and go. I’ve had the app tell me the update is ready to download and that I should connect the car to wifi to start the download. So I *think* that the app can get the pending update notification regardless of the cars current WiFi status.

Reactions: drtimhill
You don’t need WiFi for the car to get notified about a pending update (that happens over LTE), but you do need WiFi to download the update. The app doesn’t send a notification until after the update has been downloaded, but the app does show the update while it’s downloading (no notification). I don’t recall if the app shows the pending update before it starts downloading.

Reactions: Star K1tty
Yes, your phone will tell you "Update ready to download. Connect to wifi to start download"

Did you mean that you see that when looking at the vehicle screen in the app, or that you receive an actual notification from the app? I’ve seen the former, not the latter. The only notification I get is the one after it downloads and is ready to install.
You won’t get a notification for update ready to download but you’ll see the message in the app when you open it.

The app will send a notification when the update is ready to install.