Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to buy a NEMA 14-50 adapter separately for Charging my tesla Model Y (June deliverY) at home?

Rgul

May 30, 2021
CA
I am expecting delivery of my Model Y in June 2021, and had a NEMA 14-50 installed in my garage in anticipation. Do I need to order a NEMA 14-50 adapter separately from the Tesla online store, or does it come with the car. Delivery is June 2021.

Reactions: YForMeee

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
Been $45 for a while now, sadly. I think its the only one that increased.

This strikes me as one of the few examples of Tesla being behind the times. Adding the 14-50 adapter to the car for free and making the L1 adapter an option seems like an obvious move. Or even better, let people choose which of the two adapters they want for free.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
This strikes me as one of the few examples of Tesla being behind the times. Adding the 14-50 adapter to the car for free and making the L1 adapter an option seems like an obvious move. Or even better, let people choose which of the two adapters they want for free.
I don't agree. Pretty much everyone has a 120V outlet in their garage. Only a small amount of people will have a 14-50. If they made 14-50 the 'free' one, they'd bug a lot more people who will never use it.

I could see giving the owner a choice of one free adapter of their choosing, but that's a potential nightmare for shipping.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I could see giving the owner a choice of one free adapter of their choosing, but that's a potential nightmare for shipping.
I don't see how it would be any nightmare for shipping. It's just like ordering anything from their store, just as people already do. It would be a little programming setup in the accounts. People's accounts with a new car could get set up with a marker or redemption code. Then people just order an adapter through the online store like any other. But in the checkout, they just have a dropdown or checkbox or something that says "Redeem my free adapter". And that would trigger to mark it as used up in their account. That shouldn't be that complex. I have been a fan of this idea for a while, as a lot of people are deciding to do 14-30 or 6-20 outlets.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC