Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to buy an inverter for Powerwall if I already have one for my rooftop solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I need to buy an inverter for Powerwall if I already have one for my rooft...

Yes they can, but according to a person at Tesla Energy that I have been dealing with, in the US at least the only inverter that will compatible with the Powerwall is the SolarEdge 7600 model and it's still not available for purchase in a Powerwall compatible version. Tesla Energy is expecting it to be available "soon". It is limited to 7.6kW.
I do not know what inverter Powerwall customers are using in Australia and I think German, where Powerwalls have been installed.
You give your location as being in China. I have not heard of any Powerwalls being installed in China.

My inverter got flooded in the CA rains (install error from 2014) so my solar company had to replace the inverter, I insisted on a SolarEdge 7600 and confirmed with the serial number that it is power wall compatible before they installed. I spoke with Tesla Energy late last week and my PowerWall will be one of the first US installs!

In the US SolarEdge 7600A-UUS is the *only* PowerWall compatible inverter right now.

Also the SolarEdge with power optimizers is proving to be producing *significantly* more AC power vs. the old Delta Solivia inverter that it replaced. Comparing 3/14 this year vs. 3/14 last year, last year was a much clearer day than this year, and yet my peak production lasted longer and was ~500W higher production vs. the Solivia production last year.

pvogel, that's great news! My last conversation with Tesla Energy was less than 2 weeks ago and I was told that SolarEdge had not yet released the firmware to make the 7600A inverter compatible with the Powerwall.

Do you have a date for your Powerwall install? I would love to come see it. I'm in San Mateo. My Tesla Energy contact tells me I am at the top of the list to get a Powerwall. But I have no date when it will be available.

My inverter got flooded in the CA rains (install error from 2014) so my solar company had to replace the inverter, I insisted on a SolarEdge 7600 and confirmed with the serial number that it is power wall compatible before they installed. I spoke with Tesla Energy late last week and my PowerWall will be one of the first US installs!

In the US SolarEdge 7600A-UUS is the *only* PowerWall compatible inverter right now.

Also the SolarEdge with power optimizers is proving to be producing *significantly* more AC power vs. the old Delta Solivia inverter that it replaced. Comparing 3/14 this year vs. 3/14 last year, last year was a much clearer day than this year, and yet my peak production lasted longer and was ~500W higher production vs. the Solivia production last year.

Flooded in CA, since when do we get rain? :)
Who is your solar company?
Congrats, please keep us posted regarding your power wall install. Would love to see pictures, cost of install, etc...

A1Solar WAS my solar company, probably won't use them again. The pain to get the inverter issue solved was just way too high. The flooding was caused by a leak in one of the joints in the DC power conduit coming down from the roof.

I'll take pictures when the PowerWall goes in for sure!