Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to buy any additional chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two charging safety things to do:

1. Get a J1772 adapter lock, most 3D printed, this one is multistep as the charging station plug locking tongue thickness varies
among manufacturers:

CapturePro

2. Print a label with your phone number in fine print and apply it near the port under the cover "Need to charge? Call xxx xxx xxxx". It will
save you a destroyed charge port, some of these functional alcoholics and trust fund kids...

I apologize for such a noob question but it's my first time owning an electric vehicle so I'm a bit confused.
My condo has a charging station for electric vehicles but they're not specifically made for Tesla. At this point, I'm not sure if it's just a power outlet or an actual special charger.
Do I need to buy something to charge my Model 3? Does Model 3 LR come with a charging adapter?

Also when i'm on the roads, and can't find a supercharger nearby, what adapter should I always have in my car for emergency?

You've gotten a bunch of good replies. When you are feeling more at ease on the whole charging issue, take a look at this (Tesla Ports & Plugs of the World) and be thankful you are in North America (with its single, elegant Tesla charging standard; at least so far) and not in Europe or China where Tesla has been pressured into changing standards.

I am normally down on proprietary business practices that don't allow consumers to conveniently swap charging-cables, bicycle tires, bolts and screws, headphones, and other small parts and lesser accessories. But in this case I hear that in the early days Tesla reached out to other manufacturers, and were blown off (e.g., by Asia, Detroit, and Europe). So little Tesla, which was well ahead of the others in its development schedule, had to forge its own charging standard which in my opinion turned out better than all the rest (it does both AC and DC; is small and comfortable in the hand; is stylish; etc.). But now, we increasingly have ungainly and inconvenient plug behemoths like CHAdeMO and CCS Combo 1 and 2 to contend with.

Last edited:
You've gotten a bunch of good replies. When you are feeling more at ease on the whole charging issue, take a look at this (Tesla Ports & Plugs of the World) and be thankful you are in North America (with its single, elegant Tesla charging standard; at least so far) and not in Europe or China where Tesla has been pressured into changing standards.

I am normally down on proprietary business practices that don't allow consumers to conveniently swap charging-cables, bicycle tires, bolts and screws, headphones, and other small parts and lesser accessories. But in this case I hear that in the early days Tesla reached out to other manufacturers, and were blown off (e.g., by Asia, Detroit, and Europe). So little Tesla, which was well ahead of the others in its development schedule, had to forge its own charging standard which in my opinion turned out better than all the rest (it does both AC and DC; is small and comfortable in the hand; is stylish; etc.). But now, we increasingly have ungainly and inconvenient plug behemoths like CHAdeMO and CCS Combo 1 and 2 to contend with.
I 100% agree. The Tesla charging standard is just worlds ahead of the others. CCS is just so massive for no reason.

Just adding to my original post:
I got an electrician to come in to install a wall connector at my parent's house.
The house's main breaker size is 200A and the electrician is installing '1, 2 pole 40 amp breaker'.
Would this support the 44 miles/hr charging listed on the Tesla website for my Model 3 LR?

Thanks in advance!
No. A 40A line supports 32A charging which is 7.2KW. That's actually fine for charging overnight but if you want the maximum charging speed supported by the Tesla Wall Connector you will need a 60A line which will give you 48A charging (11.5KW).