Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to clay a new car before ceramic waxing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New LRMY, about a month old. Lives in the garage and I’ve used ONR Wash and Wax with a two bucket system each week since I’ve had it. Weather is mild here in San Diego. I’m thinking of using the Griot’s 3-1 ceramic wax. The instructions say to do a clay bar step after washing and before applying the wax. Is that necessary for a new car? I’ve never done something like that before. My basic plan is:

1) ONR Wash and Wax with two buckets and the Big Red Sponge weekly since we live in a coastal desert. Dry with MF towels.
2) Wash with pressure washer and chemical brothers CWS_110 foam every month or so
3) Griot’s 3-1 every 3-6 months

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would suggest the following steps:
  1. Wash the car
  2. Clay bar the car
  3. Polish the car
  4. Top coat with ceramic coat
I think step 3 is important because clay barring does introduce some micro scratches so you want to polish that off with a final polish (Nothing to abrasive) just to get a nice coat before your lock it in with your top ceramic coat.

This is based on my own personal experience (I'm not a pro) + my most recent adventure in applying graphene ceramic coating onto the MY.

I would suggest the following steps:
  1. Wash the car
  2. Clay bar the car
  3. Polish the car
  4. Top coat with ceramic coat
I think step 3 is important because clay barring does introduce some micro scratches so you want to polish that off with a final polish (Nothing to abrasive) just to get a nice coat before your lock it in with your top ceramic coat.

This is based on my own personal experience (I'm not a pro) + my most recent adventure in applying graphene ceramic coating onto the MY.
Advice or links to how to guides for polishing?

Advice or links to how to guides for polishing?
Would you happen to have any tools, such as a a rotary buffer/polisher? I simply did it on mine because my paint was dog s* since Tesla had the car for close to a month and it was just sitting out during one of our jankier weather here in the Bay Area (believe it or not). I also already have tools and materials for my previous cars so the cost was really only my time. If your paint is still solid and you don't mind locking it the way it is right now, you can skip the polishing phase especially if you don't have the tools.

Note that once you ceramic coat, the best way to remove it other than waiting for it to slowly wear off over time is to polish it off. Once it cures, the beading and sheeting will be there.

Here's a peace of mind from a pro on whether or not you should polish before coating:

It's all preference and really what you can live with.

Thanks for the advice! I would have said I was happy with the paint two days ago as the car is only 3 days old and didn’t have any issues, but then I noticed this when washing it yesterday. Looks like a fairly shallow chip right next to the T on the hood. I assume that’s something a professional detailed could get out?

Attachments

• 4F135294-BFDA-436F-89DC-7BA4638B2734.jpeg
    4F135294-BFDA-436F-89DC-7BA4638B2734.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 149