Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to jacks to swap tires front to back?

p4594spa

Aug 29, 2019
Probably rotate tires at home. Not hard to do. Question is if I jack from one jack point, will I lift car on that side enough to swap the tires? Or am I going to need two jacks?

towndrunk

Jun 2, 2018
Fargo, ND
I saw a picture of a Tesla ranger jacking one side and rotating tires. IF you're not worried about cracking your glass roof, knock yourself out.

One jack and a jack stand would be cheaper.

03DSG

Apr 5, 2016
Ontario
Probably rotate tires at home. Not hard to do. Question is if I jack from one jack point, will I lift car on that side enough to swap the tires? Or am I going to need two jacks?

You only need one floor jack to lift the whole side. You can use the rear jack point and a single jack pad. I did this prior to getting a second floor jack. Makes a back to front swap easy.

Reactions: destructure00

TMThree

Mar 28, 2019
USA
While you can do it with 1 jack, you should still get a jack stand or something under the front in case there is a jack failure.

I have 2 of these, which lets me do a jack stand and jack up the car on a single point.

The RennStand by Safe Jack

Watts_Up

Mar 4, 2019
In a galaxy far, far away
While you can do it with 1 jack, you should still get a jack stand or something under the front in case there is a jack failure.

I have 2 of these, which lets me do a jack stand and jack up the car on a single point.

The RennStand by Safe Jack
Nice but a little it pricey. If you don't need to go under the car or inside the car, a jack can be fine.

I have a floor jack but it's a little bit too high to put it under the rear lifting spot, when I put a Lifting Jack protection pad under the car.

So I use a 4 Tons scissor jack under the front lifting spot. I just need to slightly lift the car to be able to slide the floor jack under the rear lifting spot.

I lift then the car few inch up on the rear side, then I lift the front to keep the car balanced.

I always keep two scisor jacks and a spare in my trunk.

I prefer rotating front and rear on the same side so I have only on side of the car with whells with curb rash.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC