Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to keep the key card In my wallet or just use the phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't "have to" keep the card with you, but I would strongly advise it. My phone as a key has been almost flawless, and on the few times it hasn't worked, I just opened the app and it worked right away. But I would hate to be stranded if it ever did stop working, or even if the phone stopped working (recently on a road trip, I had a scare where my phone froze and I couldn't even power it off ... I needed to borrow someone else's phone to figure out how to do a hard reset).

New owner just picked up on Friday. Should I have the key card in my wallet or just rely on my phone? Thoughts?

The phone as a key is one of those things that has been debated quite a bit. I think that there is a learning curve that most people go through to make sure that the phone works. I know that I tend to have to turn my phone on for it to work. If it is sleep, then both the car and the phone stay asleep.
I do keep my card in my wallet.

There is nothing worse than running out to the car when it is raining and not being able to get into the car. The card key is the most reliable solution in this case.

No need to keep it if you are in town. You MUST(strongly recommend) you to carry it with you if you are far away from home. Within more than two month of the ownership, It happend once. My phone key did not work and Tesla App server was down at the same time. Had to call my wife wait about 1.5 hours for her to bring me the card key.

Here's my thought and experience on the phone key. It works well on my wife's iPhone 7 as well as my Pixel 2. There was an issue once at Metrotown (EV charging station area), where the cell signal was very bad. Other Model 3 owner had to use his key card to open and drive off. I parked on his spot to charge, and I had same BT issue. My phone wasn't connecting to the car and control it. If I hadn't had my key card, I may have stuck there for a while. So, I think it would be good to have the key with you all the time.

Here's my thought and experience on the phone key. It works well on my wife's iPhone 7 as well as my Pixel 2. There was an issue once at Metrotown (EV charging station area), where the cell signal was very bad. Other Model 3 owner had to use his key card to open and drive off. I parked on his spot to charge, and I had same BT issue. My phone wasn't connecting to the car and control it. If I hadn't had my key card, I may have stuck there for a while. So, I think it would be good to have the key with you all the time.

Just to clarify so it's explicitly clear: in order to require the keycard to get into your car, the following must occur:

1) Your phone is inoperable/lost

OR

2a) Your Bluetooth will not connect to the vehicle
AND
2b) Your vehicle or phone has no data service

So long as you have your phone AND EITHER a Bluetooth connection to the vehicle OR data service functioning to the vehicle and your phone, you can enter and drive the vehicle without using the keycard.

I have a 4 years old smartphone. By now the battery could barely last the day. Normally I would be able to charge the phone in the car, but if I can't get into the car..... so I kept a key card in my wallet. ;) It also good for valet. What you gonna to do... give them your phone? :p

I had a cousin of mine teach me this lesson in the good old days of key fobs.. when going on a road trip or anywhere out of town. bring your spare key with you. it doesn't do anyone any good sitting in your drawer, key box, etc etc when you are more than 50 miles from home. since then I make it a point to bring the spare fob with me whenever I travel.

i'd say the same thing applies to the Model 3. I would keep a key card in my wallet as a backup b/c even tho my wallet can get over packed with random crap, (i really should work on this, i know) an extra key card doesn't really take up THAT much space.

Just to clarify so it's explicitly clear: in order to require the keycard to get into your car, the following must occur:

1) Your phone is inoperable/lost

OR

2a) Your Bluetooth will not connect to the vehicle
AND
2b) Your vehicle or phone has no data service

So long as you have your phone AND EITHER a Bluetooth connection to the vehicle OR data service functioning to the vehicle and your phone, you can enter and drive the vehicle without using the keycard.

That sums it up nicely. :)

I will not be using the phone for key feature i will just use the good old key fob... I really don't like carrying my wallet with me im too scared of losing it. Always leave it in the car unless i park somewhere i think that might be dangerous... i was more thinking of leaving a card hidden in the car in case my keyfob battery dies i could unlock the doors with my phone and start the car with the card. I know i could do it with my phone but the key fob might interfere with the phone each time i approach the car to get in if i use phone as key

I will not be using the phone for key feature i will just use the good old key fob... I really don't like carrying my wallet with me im too scared of losing it. Always leave it in the car unless i park somewhere i think that might be dangerous... i was more thinking of leaving a card hidden in the car in case my keyfob battery dies i could unlock the doors with my phone and start the car with the card. I know i could do it with my phone but the key fob might interfere with the phone each time i approach the car to get in if i use phone as key
I don't have a model Y keyfob, but with my model X keyfob, even if the battery is dead, I could open and start the car with it by placing it at certain locations (similar to how you use a Model Y keycard except at different locations). If you are using the keyfob, you probably don't need to have a spare keycard in the car. You have so many options:
1) Open and start the car with key fob (primary)
2) key fob battery dead, just use key fob as key card
3) Use the phone app to open and start the car

Now if none of those works, how are you going to get into the car to get the hidden keycard? I am not sure a lock smith or AAA could slim jim into a Tesla?

I don't have a model Y keyfob, but with my model X keyfob, even if the battery is dead, I could open and start the car with it by placing it at certain locations (similar to how you use a Model Y keycard except at different locations). If you are using the keyfob, you probably don't need to have a spare keycard in the car. You have so many options:
1) Open and start the car with key fob (primary)
2) key fob battery dead, just use key fob as key card
3) Use the phone app to open and start the car

Now if none of those works, how are you going to get into the car to get the hidden keycard? I am not sure a lock smith or AAA could slim jim into a Tesla?
i'm sure one those 3 will work fine...

Just to clarify: this thread is about using a key card or phone to unlock a Model 3 or Y. Your post referred to a “key fob”. Did you buy a fob for your Y? The 3/Y do not come with a fob but they are available for purchase through the Tesla Shop online.

You certainly could leave your Y key card inside the car if you will primarily be using your fob, and then if your fob battery died you could unlock the car with your phone but in that situation you might as well then start the car with your phone, no need to use the car Details about how to use the various types of keys starts on page 8 of the user manual https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

@Need is correct regarding how to use a dead Model X fob to unlock the car, but as far as I know the Model 3/Y does not support that capability. If you have the optional 3/Y fob and the battery dies it cannot be used to unlock the car, based on my reading of the manual.