Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do I need to pay for registration before selling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!
I am about to sell my 21' Refresh Model S. My current registration expires on Aug 8th. My question is, do I need to pay for the registration prior to selling the car?

If I do pay for it, will it transfer over to my new car with my personalized CA plates?

I am asking because I don't want to pay for registration before it expires and then it transfers with the car to the new buyer.
Hope someone can help me out!

If you renew your registration and then sell the car, you will be refunded by DMV.

The buyer of your car will register the vehicle on their own and will pay for registration/sales tax.
thank you so much for responding this will save me a trip to the DMV!

so just to be clear, will DMV pay a prorated rate on the registration or how do they determine the value to refund?

If you renew your registration and then sell the car, you will be refunded by DMV.

The buyer of your car will register the vehicle on their own and will pay for registration/sales tax.
Is this something depends on which state you are in? I don't remember ever getting a registration fee refund here in CA. According to CA DMW website, you could get a refund if you pay your fee AFTER the car is sold. Payments & Refunds - California DMV

For OP, I am pretty sure the fee is not going to transfer to the new car. I would try to sell the car BEFORE Aug 8 and let the new owner pay for the registration.

Reactions: r3nd3r
Is this something depends on which state you are in? I don't remember ever getting a registration fee refund here in CA. According to CA DMW website, you could get a refund if you pay your fee AFTER the car is sold. Payments & Refunds - California DMV

For OP, I am pretty sure the fee is not going to transfer to the new car. I would try to sell the car BEFORE Aug 8 and let the new owner pay for the registration.
Yes, this is what I was thinking would have been the case. I do not want to pay for another year of registration if I do not need to. Here in CA my registration renewal comes to $1041. If I do pay for registration I suppose I will be paying for the buyers registration fee. Am I thinking about the correct way?

Hi all!
I am about to sell my 21' Refresh Model S. My current registration expires on Aug 8th. My question is, do I need to pay for the registration prior to selling the car?

If I do pay for it, will it transfer over to my new car with my personalized CA plates?

I am asking because I don't want to pay for registration before it expires and then it transfers with the car to the new buyer.
Not if you sell the car before August 8th.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

Not true, you will not get refunded if you pay your registration and then sell your car.

If you sell your car before the registration expires, you do not need to renew it. The buyer will need to re-register and pay taxes to DMV regardless if you have 11 months or 2 days left on your current registration.

Yes, this is what I was thinking would have been the case. I do not want to pay for another year of registration if I do not need to. Here in CA my registration renewal comes to $1041. If I do pay for registration I suppose I will be paying for the buyers registration fee. Am I thinking about the correct way?
I am not sure about the bold part above. The buyer may have to pay DMV used car registration fee regardless you paid yours or not. This is California we are talking about... they probably will double dip on it. You may want to check on that.

Not true, you will not get refunded if you pay your registration and then sell your car.

If you sell your car before the registration expires, you do not need to renew it. The buyer will need to re-register and pay taxes to DMV regardless if you have 11 months or 2 days left on your current registration.
Thank you everyone for all your help! It has truly cleared up a ton of the questions I had asked myself. Appreciate it a ton!

It's my first time selling privately and this was a big learning curve!

I am not sure about the bold part above. The buyer may have to pay DMV used car registration fee regardless you paid yours or not. This is California we are talking about... they probably will double dip on it. You may want to check on that.
yes indeed. california will be california. like the $1050 yearly registration fee I would have had to pay on my Model S. ridiculous

Hi all!

In CA, if you pay the registration and sell the car, the new owner will benefit by having their registration paid for until the registration you paid for expires. They'll still need to pay taxes and register the car to their own name, but the fees you paid will cover them until expiration.

If you post a for sale ad, you should point out that registration is paid for until xx/xx/

• Informative
Reactions: Need
I had the same question so I called NC DMV this morning. Amazingly the rep said I did not need to do anything other than 'dispose' of the expired plates. I asked 'really, what about the registration and property tax fees?' Rep said 'nope, just dispose of the plates'. Seems too good to be true.