Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to remove rear plate bracket for silicone frame?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a popular silicone frame, but it’s too thick for the oem M5-08x6mm to secure the plate into the bracket holes. I ordered M05-08x12mm screws since the frame measures 1/4” in width.

I’m wondering if the frame is going to be sticking out too much on top of the bracket, which kind of defeats the purpose of the silicon and the aesthetics of having a flush frame. Is is easy to pop off the black bracket and if so, are the four holes for installing fasteners nuts there?

Watched a video with an owner installing this frame from three years ago, but Tesla’s since added the black bracket to the rear. The owner lists which fasteners and screws he gets from Ace, but I don’t even know if the holes on the trunk panel (behind the bracket) are the same size in the 22 model.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Depends, Ive had a silicone frame on the front and back since 2018 and ended up replacing the license plate inserts, using new screws (opted for security screws with a rounded off head which are great for washes and drying since no towels, microfiber, etc catch).

The difference being that the early production 2017-2018 cars did not come with a rear license plate frame/raiser and threaded screw holes... instead they simply had holes with nylon inserts in the trunk hatch (like many other cars).

BTW I am using the same exact frames.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: outdoors
Upvote 0