Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need to tint the rear window?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume you mean the rear passenger windows, not the rear half of the panoramic sunroof? You used the singlular "window" so I wasn't sure. I definitely tinted all my windows except the sunroof, including the front windshield. I have white interior so I went a bit darker than most - 35 windshield, 35 front windows, and 45 rear.

I assume you mean the rear passenger windows, not the rear half of the panoramic sunroof? You used the singlular "window" so I wasn't sure. I definitely tinted all my windows except the sunroof, including the front windshield. I have white interior so I went a bit darker than most - 35 windshield, 35 front windows, and 45 rear.
Oh I was mainly referring to the rear half of the panoramic sunroof. I am going to tint the rear passenger windows and the front windows.

Reactions: mangrove79
The hatch glass doesn't have IR protection like the roof, but the glass is pretty dark. Most people do tint this for heat rejection. Just don't go too dark if you want to be able to see out. I did 40% on the back side windows and hatch, 30 on the driver and passenger windows, and clear (70 or 80 - honestly don't remember) on the windshield. I left the roof alone but use a shade when needed.

Uh, I am wondering if you know that "darker" does not necessarily equate to blocking out more UV light and infrared light which is really what is important to blocking damage to internal materials (UV) or excessive heat (IR). It's not the white light that causes the problem.

I originally had 20% tint put over the rear windshield and it made it impossible to see out of in all but the brightest situations.
I have since removed it. I currently have a Tesla sunshade over it, but I have rear view mirror camera, so I don’t know much much it blocks the view.

Oh I was mainly referring to the rear half of the panoramic sunroof. I am going to tint the rear passenger windows and the front windows.
I realized how silly my response was after I got in my MY yesterday to do an errand. I totally forgot about the small hatch window in the back. It sounds like you aren't referring to that one either, but I also tinted that the same as my rear passenger windows so that even peeking into the trunk area with your eyes on the window you won't see anything inside.

As for the panoramic roof, I didn't tint any part of it. It's $200 additional and the guy didn't recommend it. I just installed a two-piece sunshade yesterday and it feels/looks pretty good.

Uh, I am wondering if you know that "darker" does not necessarily equate to blocking out more UV light and infrared light which is really what is important to blocking damage to internal materials (UV) or excessive heat (IR). It's not the white light that causes the problem.
I would like to think I do, though far from an expert when it comes to tinting. I don't even remember the brand of the film, but the installer did show me the difference on two Teslas in his shop. I chose the darker one that offered more UV and heat rejection. I think it's generally true that the higher rejection rating the darker the film is.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I would like to think I do, though far from an expert when it comes to tinting. I don't even remember the brand of the film, but the installer did show me the difference on two Teslas in his shop. I chose the darker one that offered more UV and heat rejection. I think it's generally true that the higher rejection rating the darker the film is.
yea that might be true of some brands. I put absolutely clear film on our car with 93% UV protection and 92% IR. Some clear films are even better than that.

Reactions: mangrove79