Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do i need to "warm up" batteries before going WOT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For maximum current flow out of the battery to the motors, they have to be warm. Same for super charging, high current flowing in (to the battery) from the opposite direction.

Correct, but the driver does not need to treat the car any different than normal. It will limit itself via software, so you can go crazy with your driving.

I don't Supercharge that often, but I finally saw that "Preconditioning battery for supercharging" message today...

You were probably routing to a Supercharger with the cars navigation system which does that automatically to prepare the battery. Preconditioning warms the battery to a fairly warm degree (i.e i've seen it precondition on a hot day) but isn't absolutely necessary, it just means faster charge times (again being restricted by software)

Reactions: outdoors
You were probably routing to a Supercharger with the cars navigation system which does that automatically to prepare the battery. Preconditioning warms the battery to a fairly warm degree (i.e i've seen it precondition on a hot day) but isn't absolutely necessary, it just means faster charge times (again being restricted by software)

You are absolutely correct !!! My wife was playing around with the map while we had a destination set on a road trip. She tapped the "T" on the nav map and accidentally routed us to it. Decided to stop and SC anyway (since it had power still) as we were told PG&E had rolling blackouts still. It's only the 3rd time I've supercharged as I usually don't drive that far from home in the 3.

For maximum current flow out of the battery to the motors, they have to be warm. Same for super charging, high current flowing in (to the battery) from the opposite direction.

Correct, but the driver does not need to treat the car any different than normal. It will limit itself via software, so you can go crazy with your driving.

Exactly the answers i was looking for.
Thanks!

Reactions: jebinc
pre warming the battery is a good idea especially if it's cold out. On a model 3 at least the motor is used to
warm the battery so you can warm them at the same time.
It isn't the motor. It's the inverter which is located in the motor assembly. The motor does not need to be warmed but as it is doubtless on the same coolant loop as the inverter it will get warmed too.