Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I need winter tires for my 2021+ model S LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in eastern Iowa and my tesla S has the 21 inch arachnid wheels. We get some pretty good storms in February March and even April. I plan to drive the factory installed tires in the chill acceleration mode, but do not know if this eliminates the need for winter tires. Your thoughts please

I live in eastern Iowa and my tesla S has the 21 inch arachnid wheels. We get some pretty good storms in February March and even April. I plan to drive the factory installed tires in the chill acceleration mode, but do not know if this eliminates the need for winter tires. Your thoughts please
If temps get below freezing, or there is any collection of ice/snow on the roads, you need anything other than summer performance tires. They are not safe in any of those conditions.

Yeah, growing up in south eastern Iowa and still having family in Cedar Rapids (where I see you are based), I would not be driving around on 21" performance summer tires. You just will not have the grip you want especially if you're in parts of the city that has some decent hills. You might want to consider looking for a used set of 19" wheels that you can mount with some winter tires. Then all you need to do is quick swap wheels and not be swapping the tires on and off the rims twice a year (that can lead to adhesive build up with degraded seals causing slow leaks).