Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I really need a wifi connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an M3 ordered for early next year. My wifi doesn't quite reach the driveway and to extend it using my current Unifi setup will cost me at minimum $150. I don't like spending money if I don't have to so my question is: Is Wifi really needed for these cars all the time they are parked? Can I just hotspot when I need to update? Howe often do updates come?

Thank you

WiFi is required To download (most) firmware updates. The car gets notifications via LTE cell that an update is available for your car, and displays this notification on your car screen (amber download sign) and your phone App.- signifying you need to connect to WiFi. You may either go somewhere where WiFi is available, or use your cell phone hot-spot to connect to your car, and download the update. You will see a Green download sign when connected to WiFi. Updates may take some considerable time to download, even with good WiFi . Once the firmware update is downloaded to your car, you will be prodded to update it, which requires the car to be parked, closed up and left alone for up to 50 minutes. So no you can get by without constant WiFi if need be. But you really Do need LTE cell connection most of the time.

WiFi is required To download (most) firmware updates. The car gets notifications via LTE cell that an update is available for your car, and displays this notification on your car screen (amber download sign) and your phone App.- signifying you need to connect to WiFi. You may either go somewhere where WiFi is available, or use your cell phone hot-spot to connect to your car, and download the update. You will see a Green download sign when connected to WiFi. Updates may take some considerable time to download, even with good WiFi . Once the firmware update is downloaded to your car, you will be prodded to update it, which requires the car to be parked, closed up and left alone for up to 50 minutes. So no you can get by without constant WiFi if need be. But you really Do need LTE cell connection most of the time.
cool, it should have no trouble being connected to the LTE network, I will pay for the premium service as well. cheers

Reactions: CaptUAL