Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I risk bending my trunk panel if the right side won't latch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, looking for advice.

I've scheduled Tesla Service for my trunk's passenger side latch. The tiniest little bump will make it fail and release that half of the trunk. I can even pull it up with my fingers. I just had my struts replaced with strong working struts so I bet this problem existed before and the force of the new struts is pulling on the weak passenger side latch.

The problem: Tesla Service is a 25-30 minute highway drive away. I'm positive the trunk will pop open on the right before I can even leave the neighborhood. With the driver's side staying latched, do I risk bending that panel having it in that position for a half hour on the highway? It's a pretty crooked trunk with the right side popping up pretty high. I thought about towing but the same problem is going to happen once the tow truck goes over the smallest bump.

Thank you

I've been having the same problem with a front hood latch (same part). It'll release on the highway and the hood will bounce up and down on that side. No damage though.

The trunk is made from carbon fiber, so it'll break before it loses its shape. I'd try taping it down with green painters tape just to be safe.

• Love
Reactions: asimo3089
I've been having the same problem with a front hood latch (same part). It'll release on the highway and the hood will bounce up and down on that side. No damage though.

The trunk is made from carbon fiber, so it'll break before it loses its shape. I'd try taping it down with green painters tape just to be safe.
A decent painters tape is exactly what I was going to suggest.

Reactions: asimo3089
4943849296_4d088367fc_b.jpg

Answer: Probably not a good idea. I concur with the tape-it suggestions.

Appreciate all of you. I tried to lubricate the latch and unfortunately it now pops up even easier. But it was worth a shot!

I'll be taping it up with painters tape before my trip next Tuesday. Very much appreciate all the advice in here!