Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I Virginia emissions stickers for a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 S 100D and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone about my range. When I charge to capacity the range reads 315. However when I read various posts on the forum I see people saying their 100% charge reads 325.

Which is it and if it is 325 why does my car only register 315.

Thanks

I just purchased a used 2017 Model S in Virginia. Do I need to go get emissions testing on it? I purchased new plates and they have a space that says Month and Year on them for the stickers even though it is registered as a Tesla.
Does your state DMV have any info on their website? I know in CA and NC the emissions portion is just ignored for obvious reasons on Tesla's.

I've never looked too closely at VA plates but you say the month/year stickers on the plate and that sounds like the normal stickers that every state uses and those should have been given to you by the DMV when you registered the car and they gave you the plate, having a plate isn't gonna do much good if you don't have registration stickers for it.

I have a 2017 S 100D and I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone about my range. When I charge to capacity the range reads 315. However when I read various posts on the forum I see people saying their 100% charge reads 325.

Which is it and if it is 325 why does my car only register 315.

Thanks
Uhhhh bro not sure if you meant this to go on a different thread or if you are asking a new question. However this is clearly the wrong place for this. If you have a new question then go to the page you want to ask it and click start new thread.

I just purchased a used 2017 Model S in Virginia. Do I need to go get emissions testing on it? I purchased new plates and they have a space that says Month and Year on them for the stickers even though it is registered as a Tesla.
I'm a Virginia resident. You appear to be confused about the stickers and requirements. Here's the straight info:

1. You need to get your car inspected annually just like all other cars. Now cars that are registered in Northern Virginia (where emissions testing is required) need to get the emissions test every two years (every other car inspection). As your car is a Battery Electric Vehicle with no emissions, you are NOT required to get the emissions test done every two years, you will just do the regular $25 inspection every year. That sticker is the one that goes in the lower left hand side of your windshield.
2. Your license plate is confirmation the car is registered. It should have come with a month and year sticker. Month sticker goes in upper left hand corner of the plate and never changes. The year sticker is when your registration expires. When you renew, you can renew for 1, 2 or 3 years (you get a slight discount the longer the renewal). When they process your renewal, you'll get a new "year" sticker which covers the old one. ICE cars can only renew for 1 or 2 years depending on when the emissions inspection is due. They are not allowed to renew for 3 years because you can't renew your registration for a period which exceeds the emissions inspection requirement (this is how they prevent people from avoiding the emissions inspection...you can't renew the registration, but the proof of emissions inspection is actually the sticker in your window that says you were inspected and the fact the inspection station electronically transmits the result to the DMV so that your registration can be renewed).

Bottom Line:
1. Yes you need month/year registration stickers on your license plate.
2. Yes, you need to get your car inspected annually and get the window sticker proving you were inspected.
3. No, you do not need to do the emissions test every two years as part of your regular inspection.

• Helpful
Reactions: All In
I'm a Virginia resident. You appear to be confused about the stickers and requirements. Here's the straight info:

1. You need to get your car inspected annually just like all other cars. Now cars that are registered in Northern Virginia (where emissions testing is required) need to get the emissions test every two years (every other car inspection). As your car is a Battery Electric Vehicle with no emissions, you are NOT required to get the emissions test done every two years, you will just do the regular $25 inspection every year. That sticker is the one that goes in the lower left hand side of your windshield.
2. Your license plate is confirmation the car is registered. It should have come with a month and year sticker. Month sticker goes in upper left hand corner of the plate and never changes. The year sticker is when your registration expires. When you renew, you can renew for 1, 2 or 3 years (you get a slight discount the longer the renewal). When they process your renewal, you'll get a new "year" sticker which covers the old one. ICE cars can only renew for 1 or 2 years depending on when the emissions inspection is due. They are not allowed to renew for 3 years because you can't renew your registration for a period which exceeds the emissions inspection requirement (this is how they prevent people from avoiding the emissions inspection...you can't renew the registration, but the proof of emissions inspection is actually the sticker in your window that says you were inspected and the fact the inspection station electronically transmits the result to the DMV so that your registration can be renewed).

Bottom Line:
1. Yes you need month/year registration stickers on your license plate.
2. Yes, you need to get your car inspected annually and get the window sticker proving you were inspected.
3. No, you do not need to do the emissions test every two years as part of your regular inspection.
Thank you! This was very helpful. I was confused about the stickers. My plates didn't seem to come with them, so I will contact DMV.

The windshield sticker is your safety inspection. There is no emissions sticker in VA.

Your plate stickers only reflect your car's registration, also not emissions related. Hopefully you still have the envelope your plates came in. The stickers and your paper registration are tucked into the window of the envelope. Your registration becomes the address portion of the envelope so you need to make sure to remove it. I guess this is efficient but I was talking to a DMV clerk and she said people throw them away accidentally all the time.

Reactions: drklain
I live in VA and have a P85D. I live in Fauquier County where cars don't require annual emissions testing but they (including the Tesla) require an annual safety inspection to get a front window inspection sticker. Even if you live in a county where emissions testing is required, you take the safety inspection alone to receive the same window inspection sticker. Inspections are done at many gas station and car dealers.

as others have said, the annual safety. Which on a separate note, is known to be a money grab of sorts. Studies have shown zero link between accident/fatality rate and annual auto inspections. Same state thats the only state in the USA where radar detectors are illegal.