Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I want one of these 5000?? From the teachings of Gung Ho.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
80's movies have taught me many things. One thing for sure is that a man can save a town by simply building a record setting amount of cars purely on a bet. It also showed us that building a rolling car is one thing; and building a reliable product is another....especially when under the gun. Enter the classic movie Gung Ho.

I saw the press release today and I've been so preoccupied with arranging financing and delivery dates, it just dawned on me...my car is right in the middle of this "push for production" situation. So I say to myself "Do I want one of these 5000 cars that were rushed to be built to appease the market and the shareholders?" "Was my car built in a tent under sub-par conditions and lighting?" "Was Michael Keaton's snubbed for the Oscar on this one?" I don't know but I'm not ready to pay them ahead of time for a car I haven't seen that was built on motives not purely focused on the customer.

Call me nuts but I just don't want to get Gung Ho'd...

I'm really excited like so many of you after waiting for 2 years for this car (and they lost my reservation initially resulting a major customer service glitch) but I'll be calling my Tesla rep to make sure that I'm not handing over any more money until I see the car. My brother in law took delivery about three weeks ago and has already brought it back in to fix all the defects in paint, body panel fitting, etc. They said they would have it for "an indefinite amount of time." To which I reply "You wear ribbons of Shame!" :)

250px-Gunghoposter.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Pkmmte and Arpe
I think folks are making this out to be much to do about nothing. Airplanes have been manufactured in quick support structures like this. As well as military vehicles during the Wars.

If quality is your issue, then inspect it well when you get delivery.

Since they started building the 3 (and the S & X for that matter), every week has been a push to increase production. I don't think just because they aimed for the mythical 5,000 this quarter, it is any different than every other target they have been trying to achieve to date.

80's movies have taught me many things. One thing for sure is that a man can save a town by simply building a record setting amount of cars purely on a bet. It also showed us that building a rolling car is one thing; and building a reliable product is another....especially when under the gun. Enter the classic movie Gung Ho.

I saw the press release today and I've been so preoccupied with arranging financing and delivery dates, it just dawned on me...my car is right in the middle of this "push for production" situation. So I say to myself "Do I want one of these 5000 cars that were rushed to be built to appease the market and the shareholders?" "Was my car built in a tent under sub-par conditions and lighting?" "Was Michael Keaton's snubbed for the Oscar on this one?" I don't know but I'm not ready to pay them ahead of time for a car I haven't seen that was built on motives not purely focused on the customer.

I'm really excited like so many of you after waiting for 2 years for this car (and they lost my reservation initially resulting a major customer service glitch) but I'll be calling my Tesla rep to make sure that I'm not handing over any more money until I see the car. My brother in law took delivery about three weeks ago and has already brought it back in to fix all the defects in paint, body panel fitting, etc. They said they would have it for "an indefinite amount of time." To which I reply "You wear ribbons of Shame!" :)

250px-Gunghoposter.jpg

Personally, I'd rather have a car that wasn't built by workers rushing to complete car #5,000 at the end of a 12 hour shift in the wee hours of a Sunday morning. But do you really have a choice?

250px-Gunghoposter.jpg
I completely forgot about that movie, you just made my day.