Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do miles even matter anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So shortly after buying my model 3 the first couple of runs were done with miles. I just wanted to see what I could really get before the real cold set in. So 220 ish was not bad I was not driving eco and ac always on. Then I decided to switch to percentage and plan my routes that way. I found miles don't really matter anymore to be honest. My car has one objective and that is to get me to my destination as fast or a leisurely as possible. It does that just fine and as the battery ages it will still do this just fine. You stop when it suggests charge to recommended level or more and go. I swear after a short duration miles left are just no longer needed. Mileage anxiety and degradation just means a whole lot less when its just like your mobile phone and its going to be cheaper to get there anyway.

I agree 100%.
I’m a techie, so I do like checking, managing, and measuring the consumption and distance.
However, ever since I switched over to percentage, I’ve just enjoyed the car more, and I don’t really care about range at all.

Once in a while, I check my range when I’m going on a trip, but that’s about it.

much better way to go.

So shortly after buying my model 3 the first couple of runs were done with miles. I just wanted to see what I could really get before the real cold set in. So 220 ish was not bad I was not driving eco and ac always on. Then I decided to switch to percentage and plan my routes that way. I found miles don't really matter anymore to be honest. My car has one objective and that is to get me to my destination as fast or a leisurely as possible. It does that just fine and as the battery ages it will still do this just fine. You stop when it suggests charge to recommended level or more and go. I swear after a short duration miles left are just no longer needed. Mileage anxiety and degradation just means a whole lot less when its just like your mobile phone and its going to be cheaper to get there anyway.

Yep its like having your phone set to show standby time and then you make loads of calls and it goes down, miles don't matter as they can't be accurately predicted, battery percentage matters!

A bit less precision (less digits) showing % instead of miles, but it was only an estimate on miles anyways.

Come to think of it, going to km would give even more "precision" than miles...

Why can’t we have both?

Agreed and if you don’t “need” to see both while driving but just a fyi kind of thing you could use Stats or TeslaFi.

Attachments

• 7E0A93E0-4AC0-41FB-B96C-37C3B4833D72.png
    7E0A93E0-4AC0-41FB-B96C-37C3B4833D72.png
    304.4 KB · Views: 76
I noticed that when I took delivery of my Model 3 2 days ago that it was already set to display percent, not range. Since I was planning to change it to percent anyway, that suited me just fine. I suspect now that some delivery centers are doing that to reduce anxiety and questions by new owners.

I live in europe so we use km. A full battery is 500 km on LR AWD. So basically if you multiply the number with 2 you get a more accurate percentage number. Ex 436 km = 87.2%

But I see your point, with range as good as it is. why bother. In a car with a 50 liter tank I dont really care that much if it has 42 or 38 left.