TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do Model X 19" Cyclone Winter wheels fit on the Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vanwho, Nov 21, 2020 at 11:07 AM.

?

Model X 19" Cyclone 265/50 winter wheels and tires fit a Model S?

1. Yes, no problem!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maybe, might rub minimally, maybe with a spacer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who knows, try and tell us!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Absolutely not

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. vanwho

vanwho New Member

Hey folks, after scouring the countless wheel and tire threads, I can't find this scenario and an answer to it, so asking if anyone has done it, or has more tire experience to surmise the fitment...

Model X 19" Cyclone Winter tire setup - Pirelli Scorpion 265/50 R19

They of course have the same bolt pattern (5×120) and center bore (64.1mm) as the Model S wheels.

The Model X wheels all have a 35mm offset, while Model S wheels have the 40mm offset.

Those Cyclone Model X wheels are 8.5" wide.

On say a 2015 P85D, but any car with staggered 21" Turbine wheels, there are 8.5" in front, and 9" in the rear.

For winter tires for the Model S, the smart choice is drop down to 19" Slipstream (or original spoke) wheels, but those are just 8" wide all around, and 245/45 R19.

So the question is: I think the cyclones look infinitely better, but at 265/50 tall, but will they rub (any more than the staggered 21's may at extremes)? Without spacers, and easy enough to get 5mm spacers if absolutely necessary.

Thanks all! Appreciate any thoughts or experience

Attached Files:

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

265/50 R19 tires are more than an inch and a half larger in diameter and 5 inches larger in circumference than the 245/45 R19 tires the Model S expects.

So I’d say you probably don’t want to do that.

3. vanwho

vanwho New Member

The Model S staggered 21's are 265/35 21 in the rear, and 245/35 21 in the front.

So for the rear, the cyclone 265/50 19 are 1.1" (28mm) "taller" in diameter, and 3.5" (89mm) longer in circumference. Both 3.9% more. Just a huge sidewall.

In the front, that would be a 5.8% difference, and of course the half inch wider.

I suppose the more pressing matter is it's not a default option in the menu, so speedo would be off a bit.

But I still wonder if they'd fit.

Going from 8.5" and 9" to 8" all around is just a massive loss of traction area.

4. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Narrower tires are generally superior for traction in ice and snow.

• Informative x 1
  5. beatle

beatle Member

Agreed, for winter you're better off running no bigger than a 245 width tire.

The MX cyclone wheels will fit fine, but you'll want to run MS sized tires like 245/45R19s. The slightly wider wheel will cut down a bit on curb protection and might improve the responsiveness a touch over an 8 inch wide wheel. The MX wheels will also come further out due to the slightly lower offset which IMO looks better.

I think the 265/50 will almost surely rub, perhaps a lot. That said, there are some people running some very extreme sizes out there.

6. KalJoMoS

KalJoMoS Member

If you go for the Cyclone rims then you definitely touch front suspension as they are half a inch wider but offset is also 5mm more inside. And everything above 245/45R19 of tyres will rub on front wheel well. Can’t say for rear axle.

7. beatle

beatle Member

+35mm on the MX cyclones is actually 5mm towards the outside vs. the +40mm of the standard S wheels. I have 20x9 inch wheels (half an inch wider than even the MX wheels) with 245/40R20 tires and there is no rubbing front or rear.

8. vanwho

vanwho New Member

Thanks folks, good info all around so far.

Yeah, running 265/45r19 in the rear would likely be all good, and is basically the same diameter/circumference as 265/35r21, and dropping down to 265/45 in the front instead of 265/50 is just that couple of percent larger (remember, "stock" 21" turbines are 265/35r21 in the front), so with the offset and slightly more width is still a bit of a guess in the front, but at least speedo would still be very close to 21's setting.

I may turn into a guinea pig...

9. beatle

beatle Member

Your problem is not the width
    Stock turbines are 245/35R21 up front. They are 265/35R21 in rear.

10. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

These aren’t gonna fit, or are gonna fit so miserably with so much compromise that it’s just not worth it. If we’re placing bets, that’s mine.

If you’re dead set on the cyclone wheels the right way to do this is to buy a set, dismount the tires and sell them as new, then buy tires in the correct size.