Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do model Y interiors get this hot in Los Angeles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
92 degrees outside. 134 degrees inside. Burbank area of greater Los Angeles metro area. Car is parked in the sun. Seems overheat protection isn’t effective for too long. I’m guessing I should invest in some sort of shading for the car + vent windows. Don’t want the electronics to fry 🤪 . We used to have a car shade system which was metal frame and heavy plastic type material. Only draw back is the occasional high winds lifted and thrashed it around although every foot post was sandbagged. 😮

Screenshot_20220402-145708_Tesla.jpg

Note that this was from last week; it was only 87 degrees outside but the sun is quite strong here (it says Climate Active because I had just started it seconds before capturing the app screen).

Outdoor temps will typically reach approx. 115 degrees in mid-June and will test the upper limit of the interior sensor! The car has fairly heavy 3M Crystalline tint on the roof, moderate on the sides and rear and currently no tint on the windshield. I have a roof shade but haven't used it since getting the tint in November. I do not yet have a windshield sun shade. I'll certainly plan to use these shades throughout the next 6 months which will help somewhat. Installing a carport or awning is of course a helpful idea but there are HOA issues.

The thing is, the blower-only Cabin Overheat Protection does help tremendously to keep the interior temperature down, but I usually park the car before midnight and so COP shuts off by noon, and the interior quickly heats up. If I go outside and open the door and then close it again, it seems to restart the blower but I'm not sure if that holds for another 12 hours. I can also start climate manually to engage the full HVAC, but of course that uses much more energy and it's not needed until I'm really getting set to leave.

For me, the greatest convenience and improvement would be if Tesla would simply allow user remote control to restart and/or extend Cabin Overheat Protection beyond the present 12 hour limit - especially if the car is plugged in and charging as mine usually is. This is one of the things I was looking forward to as being better with the Tesla than with any of my other cars, but wih the present software the advantage is somewhat blunted.

Last edited:
Often seen this kind of temp difference in So Cal between inside and out. Even in the
middle of winter I’ve seen in 100 in the car.

But I keep cabin overheat on. Actually it’s always been on since I say I got any of my cars.

For me, the greatest convenience and improvement would be if Tesla would simply allow user remote control to restart and/or extend Cabin Overheat Protection beyond the present 12 hour limit - especially if the car is plugged in and charging as mine usually is. This is one of the things I was looking forward to as being better with the Tesla than with any of my other cars, but wih the present software the advantage is somewhat blunted.
It doesn't work from the app if you turn it off and back on?
IMG_5330.jpeg

Reactions: jeremymc7
How did you get the "Vent" option to the right of the temperature readout? It's the "Defrost" option for me

You are necro rezzing a thread that is almost a year old. That option does not appear due to recall. here are links to multiple different threads discussing this:

• Funny
Reactions: chobra
You are necro rezzing a thread that is almost a year old. That option does not appear due to recall. here are links to multiple different threads discussing this:

Necro rezzing…?

Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Necro rezzing…?
New to me also :) These days there's no shortage of new terms to disapprove (or worse) of behaviors that you didn't even know you were engaging in.

@jjrandorin , I think the point was taken by @Vaticous but to be fair, posters are encouraged (sometimes not too kindly) to find and respond to threads already on their topic, rather than creating new ones or hijacking unrelated ones.

Certainly I'm not trying to start a dispute, as I usually agree with your commentary. I'm just gently pointing out the dilemma. Referencing the more recent relevant links was exactly the right thing to do, good job, but maybe the "necro rezzing" label could feel unwelcoming to a brand new member.

Reactions: Vaticous
Thats true, but threads over a year old that have to do with features in the app are different than (for example) threads about battery range degradation. Software changes so much on telsa vehicles (and the app) that thread with a feature in the app from a year ago isnt really relevant now.

Point taken though, its true that people are encouraged to search.

("necro rezz" means to bring a thread back from the dead / ether. Its short for "necromancy resurrection"). Its not usually used for a thread only 1 year old like I did here though, so it probably was an incorrect usage by me here.)

Reactions: Vaticous and JHCCAZ