Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Model Y windshield and windows have UV protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to decide if I want to put tints only on windshield + front windows, or all windows. I was reading online and found that roof has UV / IR (heat) protection, but it's unclear whether rest of the windows do. The rear windows are tinted out of the factory, but I also read it might not block UV.

Rear windows and back hatch have dyed glass, not tinted. If your goal is heat rejection, you'll want to treat them as well. Front windshield is subject to local laws.

I'd do a ceramic 70 on the rear windows, rear hatch, and windshield (if allowed). For the front windows, ceramic whatever VLT% is allowed by law (in my state it was 40).

Per the manual for the model 3 it states the following:
The roof, windshields, and windows in Model 3 are excellent at protecting you from UV (ultraviolet) rays. The glass components score less than 2 on the UV Index scale. Review your region’s UV Index specifications for more information. You are still responsible for taking the necessary precautions for sun protection.
The manual does not specify if the UV is UVA or UVB, nor does it state how much is blocked.

The big question for me is blocking IR for heat reduction. Because the manual does not say anything about IR blockage I'm assuming that there is some blockage but you would benefit from using a ceramic film that does block it. Different ceramic films have different ratings for IR.

whatever range of UV that causes tinting glasses to darken is definitely blocked.

I did put tint all around. On our S I also put air90 on the front. Pretty good IR heat rejection. Didn’t put it on our 3 because…. Well…. Not really sure.

The reason that automotive windshields block some types of UV rays is that the windshield is made of laminated glass. Laminated glass sandwiches a plastic film between 2 layers of automotive glass. It is the plastic film that filters the UV.

In the US, in the Tesla Model Y the windshield, glass roof and front windows are made using laminated glass (not sure if the rear hatch glass is laminated.) Tesla Model Y made in China now have laminated glass on all of the passenger windows. In the US, future DOT regulations may require laminated glass to be used on all passenger windows.

When you see those videos of thieves breaking into Tesla vehicles they use a tool to shatter the small side window panel (the side panel is made of safety glass, not laminated glass.) Safety glass breaks into hundreds of small pieces when broken. Safety glass minimizes the chance of the passengers being cut badly, possibly suffering a fatal cut to an artery, by broken glass in the event of a collision. Laminated glass stays intact when broken, reducing the chance of the passengers being ejected from the vehicle as a result of a collision (especially in a rollover collision.)

Last edited:
I threw a tint meter on a demo drive of a 23 MY a month or two ago.

Front (stock)
IMG_8144.jpeg

Rear (stock)
IMG_8146.jpeg

Here’s my 23 MY after Llumar Stratos 50 on the front, and Air 80 on the rear
IMG_7887.jpeg

Rear
IMG_7888.jpeg

From Tesla:

UV Index Rating​

The roof, windshields, and windows in Model Y are excellent at protecting you from UV (ultraviolet) rays. The glass components score less than 2 on the UV Index scale. Review your region’s UV Index specifications for more information. You are still responsible for taking the necessary precautions for sun protection.

All glass is basically fully UV protected.

Just got my MY. Wondering how much to tint.

My Acura SUV previously got matched tint to rear windows in terms of darkness and it was about 20%. Works great in the day, however at night it was getting difficult for me to see clearly when I go in and out of the garage, due to mid age.

How do people think the car look when the front windows get tinted like 30%?