Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do New Model 3s have UV/IR Blocking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been scouring through threads but have not been able to find a recent one talking about updated 2019/2020 cars so I figured I would ask, do new models have IR (heat) blocking and/or UV protection?

I called a shop about getting tints installed later this week and asked about UV protection and heat blocking. He said something about how originally they had some IR/UV blocking (and you could tell because the glass turns iridescent red when wet) but have stopped adding that from factory at some point. I have seen the iridescent red roof on other teslas and made definitely does not do that. So is there UV and IR blocking, or only UV, or neither, etc...

As a former skin cancer patient my main goal is blocking UV but heat is also an added bonus, can anyone point me in the direction of good info on this stuff?

Reactions: Slate
UV blocking yes. That hasn't changed they just used different materials. IR blocking is going to be minimal unless you tint the windows. I posted somewhere the factory UV blocking per window with of course the front windshield being the highest untinted panel out of the gate due to the sheet of laminate. I'll see if i can find the post.

• Informative
Reactions: Carolina Karl
UV blocking yes. That hasn't changed they just used different materials. IR blocking is going to be minimal unless you tint the windows. I posted somewhere the factory UV blocking per window with of course the front windshield being the highest out of the gate due to the sheet of laminate. I'll see if i can find the post.
Thank you that would be helpful! The tint shop guy was saying that 3M crystalline is the best for UV but quoted me $1,000 for glass surfaces and unfortunately that is too rich for my blood. It would be good to know that they all have UV protection, then I could get a cheaper tint just for the heat.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
UV light has various fractions, UVC, UVB and UVA. UVA causes cancer and is not blocked by glass. As a dermatologist I did countless skin cancer surgeries on airplane pilots who have had UVA exposure from flying. Has any scientific paper been published testing the UVA dose through a Tesla roof?
Great question. That's what I've been searching for, but haven't had any luck finding anything on this subject. Please do share if you find anything.

UV light has various fractions, UVC, UVB and UVA. UVA causes cancer and is not blocked by glass. As a dermatologist I did countless skin cancer surgeries on airplane pilots who have had UVA exposure from flying. Has any scientific paper been published testing the UVA dose through a Tesla roof?
I think if you go to Tesla's glass manufacturer, St. Gobain, they probably have UV info on the glass used. As far as I can tell, they're the biggest auto glass mfr in the World. It's the same glass on my BMW. There's a little sticker on all the windows:
IMG_5801.jpeg

This seems like a good question for all cars, surprised consumer reports or someone doesn't include this, or better yet why dermatologists (subtle hint:) don't ask auto manufacturers to just take care of it from the factory, almost as many people die of skin cancer as car accidents right?

I have been scouring through threads but have not been able to find a recent one talking about updated 2019/2020 cars so I figured I would ask, do new models have IR (heat) blocking and/or UV protection?

I called a shop about getting tints installed later this week and asked about UV protection and heat blocking. He said something about how originally they had some IR/UV blocking (and you could tell because the glass turns iridescent red when wet) but have stopped adding that from factory at some point. I have seen the iridescent red roof on other teslas and made definitely does not do that. So is there UV and IR blocking, or only UV, or neither, etc...

As a former skin cancer patient my main goal is blocking UV but heat is also an added bonus, can anyone point me in the direction of good info on this stuff?
There are certain sun sensitive people who need to carry a card that measures how much uv exposure. I bought one if these to test sunglasses that were cheap to see if they did block and I used it in my September 2020 delivered model Y. I can tell you, it blocks UV a lot! Infrared ... actually, is not a problem. When you sit in front of a campfire you absorb infra-red light and it actually is good for your brain and other functions. Many people feel relaxed after sitting in front of a fire for that reason. So getting some infrared might help with health

This is interesting to know. Does tint even block UVA?

Someone used a UV meter on the Model Y glass. See posts 17, 19, and 21 of this thread: Does Model Y Roof have UV protection?

In general, laminated automotive glass (windshields) has high UV-A protection, while other automotive glass (most side windows) have moderate UV-A protection. The difference is enough that some dermatologists observe more skin cancers on the left arm than the right arm in the US.

Someone used a UV meter on the Model Y glass. See posts 17, 19, and 21 of this thread: Does Model Y Roof have UV protection?

In general, laminated automotive glass (windshields) has high UV-A protection, while other automotive glass (most side windows) have moderate UV-A protection. The difference is enough that some dermatologists observe more skin cancers on the left arm than the right arm in the US.
Truckers arm. From hanging it out the open window.

Reactions: Hiline
Read this before installing window tint

Tesla claims from factory UV blocking:

front and rear 98%
side glass 74%
roof 99%

Granted that would just be in a certain subset wavelength so who knows.
This is interesting since I definitely feel the warmth on my face and arm when the sun is going through the side windows compared with when it's coming at me through the windshield (definitely need to tint soon...)

This is interesting since I definitely feel the warmth on my face and arm when the sun is going through the side windows compared with when it's coming at me through the windshield (definitely need to tint soon...)

If you feel any warmth that would be from IR radiation, which wouldn't cause you any harm. That's why UV light from tanning centers won't make you feel hot at all.

3 years ago I was installing window tints on my M3, and out of curiosity I was testing out which brands of window tint offer better protection. I ended up diving into this UV protection rating rabbit hole and spent weeks researching the subject as there is barely any research or data testing window films.

An interesting side note is that for stuff like sunscreen, Japan started a new testing standard (called PPD) that test the entire UVA range (320nm to 400nm) and EU had since adopted it, but the FDA had lacked any effort in adopting and ultimately testing American products with this new standard. Research in EU showed that American sunscreen do fail the new testing standard, and some articles had openly criticized the FDA for putting Americans at risk for the sake of protecting existing industries.

After all this search I've switched to using Japanese sunscreen. :) They do cost more but hey I only live once. Just look for "PA+++" or "PA++++" sunscreen on Amazon. I think there are a few American companies that make products for the PPD standard now.

Last edited: