Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do new Model S's and X's in New Zealand come with the web browser enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless a driver’s aid, all television receivers or visual display units must be installed so that no part of the image on the screen is visible to the driver from the normal driving position".

Isn't our MCU already a driver's aid?

I've got no idea where to start sending emails for this. Probably need to start hitting up the federal minister responsible to get this one line amended/deleted.

News flash, might have to wait a day or two to see if Barnaby Joyce is the minister responsible
Chester dropped, Joyce set to become infrastructure minister in Cabinet reshuffle

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardMcN
Unfortunately the wording in the Australian Design Rule is very vague and out dated. Technically a stuck on navman above the dashboad line is illegal, but because it is not part of the vehicle. It does not have to meet the ADR for compliance. That being said the only person I can think of complaining to is Telsa and have them make a petition on owners behalf

@Berridge whitch sim card do you have in your mcu? Is it a AU Telstra or something local i.e vodaphone/2degrees/spark.

When I imported mine from Australia, before they were open in NZ, I had to supply my own SIM that was installed in Sydney before they shipped the car. It was a Spark SIM that I had to pay for ($50 a month).

About 6 months later it stopped working, as did all SIMs for imported owners. Turns out Tesla had activated their own contract with Spark. I assume it had some things to with IMEIs of the cars.

I rang Tesla and in less than half a day the ranger swapped out my SIM with an 'offical' Tesla SIM supplied by Spark, meaning I no longer had to pay the monthly $50. Yay!

Unfortunately it is only 3G. I have asked several times if it can be upgraded to 4G as there is better coverage with 4G. There are several 3G blackspots on my daily commute that don't occur with my 4G Spark mobile. But there has been no word on when or even if this is possible.

In short the answer to your question is that Spark is the official supplier of Tesla SIMs.

Having spent three weeks driving in the US with a browser, I would rate the usefulness as about minus ten.
Would much rather use my phone.

Ray you took the words right out of my mouth. When I was in California with a hired model X, I really looked forward to using the web browser. But it didn't take long before we all started using our phones - even to find out where the stars lived in Beverley Hills. I think your -10 rating is generous!

Aussies, do not miss the web browser. I reckon they did us a favour!

Unfortunately it is only 3G. I have asked several times if it can be upgraded to 4G as there is better coverage with 4G. There are several 3G blackspots on my daily commute that don't occur with my 4G Spark mobile. But there has been no word on when or even if this is possible.

Are you saying your $50 sim was 4G and displayed LTE on the MCU as opposed to now, with the Tesla Spark SIM, that only displays 3G?

I've put my phone sim in my MX and it won't connect. I've also run my car off my phone hotspot whilst driving around. The MCU does seem to be more responsive on the hotspot.

It's been mentioned, anecdotally, that Tesla like 3G in Australia for greater coverage reliability, however, that doesn't gel because 4G just drops to 3G in 3G areas only. Surely in this day and age we'd just have the 4G sim like the rest of the world. Perhaps we'll get 4G just as 5G rolls out.

I've put my phone sim in my MX and it won't connect. I've also run my car off my phone hotspot whilst driving around. The MCU does seem to be more responsive on the hotspot.

It's been mentioned, anecdotally, that Tesla like 3G in Australia for greater coverage reliability, however, that doesn't gel because 4G just drops to 3G in 3G areas only. Surely in this day and age we'd just have the 4G sim like the rest of the world. Perhaps we'll get 4G just as 5G rolls out.
After using 4G (LTE) in California, I wouldn't suggest it at all.