Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do new Tesla cars come with a Charging cable ? (not talking about the mobile connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My terminology might be off here. I recently heard that a Tesla vehicle comes with:

1) Mobile connector (which can be plugged into a standard UK socket) **DISCONTINUED**
2) Charging cable (which can be connected to a socketed charging points .eg. Zappi, Easee etc)

Is this correct ?

PS: I wanted to know so I can decide between a tethered or socketed charger. If it comes with a charging cable, I would go for a socketed as a cable is already provided (I dont need 2 in my case)

1. Is not discontinued in the UK.

Just get a tethered wall charger, as you can then keep the supplied cable in the car for if you ever need it.
You won’t need to then ever coil up and pack a wet/dirty cable.
There’s not much cost difference is there?

Reactions: Mr Miserable
Plus if you get a tethered connection you are future proofing the EV point as your next car might not come with a type2 cable (a lot of other manufacturers don't include the cable as standard). Obvs assuming when you sell/hand back the car you leave the type2 cable with the Tesla.

My terminology might be off here. I recently heard that a Tesla vehicle comes with:

1) Mobile connector (which can be plugged into a standard UK socket) **DISCONTINUED**
2) Charging cable (which can be connected to a socketed charging points .eg. Zappi, Easee etc)

Is this correct ?

PS: I wanted to know so I can decide between a tethered or socketed charger. If it comes with a charging cable, I would go for a socketed as a cable is already provided (I dont need 2 in my case)
This has been asked and answered multiple times. Please try using the search facility

1. Is not discontinued in the UK.

Just get a tethered wall charger, as you can then keep the supplied cable in the car for if you ever need it.
You won’t need to then ever coil up and pack a wet/dirty cable.
There’s not much cost difference is there?
Info about point 1) is news to me! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I heard of this but doesnt make sense in my situation. I have a separate garage which is never wet or hardly dirty. Also if Im travelling long distance (which is very rare for me by car), wont a charging station outside have a tethered cable anyways? Unless I'm missing something, I dont seem to need the cable (especially if I still have the mobile connector as a backup)

PS: If I really need one in the future, you can just get it independently anyway at almost the same cost as the difference?

Last edited:
Plus if you get a tethered connection you are future proofing the EV point as your next car might not come with a type2 cable (a lot of other manufacturers don't include the cable as standard). Obvs assuming when you sell/hand back the car you leave the type2 cable with the Tesla.
Regarding the future proofing, it is a valid point but it is a big if - that my next car (which Im not planning anytime soon) would not have a cable. In the very future, these things will only start getting more & more standard. Additionally for reasons mentioned above, I might not need more than 1 cable

PS: If I really need one in the future, you can just get it independently anyway (its not like if you dont get it with the CP you dont get it forever)

Info about point 1) is news to me! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, I heard of this but doesnt make sense in my situation. I have a separate garage which is never wet or hardly dirty. Also if Im travelling long distance (which is very rare for me by car), wont a charging station outside have a tethered cable anyways? Unless I'm missing something, I dont seem to need the cable (especially if I still have the mobile connector as a backup)
I understand you’re going to always leave the supplied cable attached to the wall charger, like a tethered cable, which just means you may not have the option to charge when out and about.
Sure some chargers may not need the cable, but I don’t have to be concerned either way with a cable in the car.

You do you, but I don’t get it. You make hardly any cost savings and reduce your possibilities.

My wall charger is always ready to go and the car is always ready to go for a small difference in upfront cost.

I understand you’re going to always leave the supplied cable attached to the wall charger, like a tethered cable, which just means you may not have the option to charge when out and about.
Sure some chargers may not need the cable, but I don’t have to be concerned either way with a cable in the car.

You do you, but I don’t get it. You make hardly any cost savings and reduce your possibilities.

My wall charger is always ready to go and the car is always ready to go for a small difference in upfront cost.
Yup, I respect your way too. You're in a different situation & I on the other hand do get it :)

Reactions: Toblerone
Destination AC chargepoints at hotels etc are usually fitted with tethered type-2 cables so your AC cable stays in the car
Public AC chargepoints in shopping car parks rarely if ever have tethered cables so you need your own AC cable for the socket.
Up to you which home chargepoint type you go for but tethered is best when its raining - hang the soggy plug on the wall hook.
Having to unpack then repack the type-2 cable every time you home charge gets frustrating over time and you can't leave it behind if you will be visiting a supermarket and charging cheap/free.

The mobile AC charger unit with 13A plug is when you "visit your granny" (hence granny charger) where the only charging capability is from a 13A mains socket.

High power DC charging always has a tethered cable quite different to the AC cable supplied in the car.

Destination AC chargepoints at hotels etc are usually fitted with tethered type-2 cables so your AC cable stays in the car
I've only ever seen untethered destination chargers. Ok, not been to a lot of hotels, but even the Tesla one I visited was untethered - which was handy for the BMW I had at the time ;) I guess YMMV, but I'd hate to rely on a charger being tethered only to find it wasn't.

OP, wait until you find your winter range is less than you expected and you need to find a charger en route. That cable in your boot will be priceless.

It’s like insurance. You don’t plan to use it but it’s important when you need it. I have a type 2 cable in the car and also carry the UMC mobile charger complete with 3 pin plug adapter, 16amp commando adapter and 32amp commando adapter! All bases covered. But of course they rarely get used… but then my airbags have never been used either!

Reactions: init6 and Toblerone
In answer to your original question, the car comes with whatever cable Tesla said was supplied at time of order - see here.

I suggest you screen shot it at point of order, or now if you didn’t as if specs change, if possible Tesla will try and honour the spec from point you ordered - obviously not possible with some car changes but an accessory can be easily supplied. If ordered via a finance arrangement, if there is a delay between you placing order with finance co and finance co ordering with Tesla then that’s between you and finance co.

Reactions: Adopado
In answer to your original question, the car comes with whatever cable Tesla said was supplied at time of order - see here.

I suggest you screen shot it at point of order, or now if you didn’t as if specs change, if possible Tesla will try and honour the spec from point you ordered - obviously not possible with some car changes but an accessory can be easily supplied. If ordered via a finance arrangement, if there is a delay between you placing order with finance co and finance co ordering with Tesla then that’s between you and finance co.
Yeah I saw this page too but was not sure if it was updated with latest information on their website.

Not all companies do (even the good ones). I know that being a developer

Yeah I saw this page too but was not sure if it was updated with latest information on their website.

Not all companies do (even the good ones). I know that being a developer
That's why a screen shot would be wise. (Some people with earlier cars specifically bought with "Premium Connectivity" included. Not a "trial" but for the life of the car. When Tesla changed policy and withdrew this feature they were able to successfully argue to keep Premium Connectivity at no charge ... amounts to hundreds of pounds over the life of the vehicle.)