TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do Northeast Winters Affect Battery?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by dherman76, Aug 26, 2013.

1. dherman76

dherman76 Member

Hi all, I'm debating on picking up a Model S Performance edition. I'd love to know any thoughts on how a New York (north east) winter might affect performance and range. Will the cold winter months drain the battery? I don't want to wake up in the morning and not be able to drive my car. It would be parked in my garage, but my garage is not heated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Will you have a plug for your car in the garage? If so, not a problem.

3. dherman76

dherman76 Member

Yes, I'll have a plug. Just was worried if it sits outside during the day (at trainstation parking lot) while not plugged in?

4. Seattle

Seattle Member

5. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

If you park outside, and it's below 20 degrees F, the thermal management will probably run to circulate coolant and warm the pack (I think this occurs rarely). The vampire drain was a bigger issue, and that's being solved with the 5.0 firmware release
    I'm in Boston, and it wasn't much of an issue this past winter.. I am using fewer watt-hours/mile in the summer than the winter as well. Probably not going to be much of an issue, it hasn't been for me. I can go for days without plugging in , but I plug in every night anyway, why not.

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

What I have found is that when its really cold, 20˚ F. and below, the MS uses a fair number of miles to warm the battery pack to operating temperature and to warm the cabin. This really gets noticeable when the temps drop below 0˚ F. Unless you have a very long commute, this will not be an issue.

Sometimes, you do have to plan ahead. As an example, last winter, I was at a hotel in Taos, and left the MS to charge at an RV park a couple of miles away. I knew that I had a long drive home that day, and wanted to take a slightly longer scenic route, so I did the following to get the car warm on shore power and have the most miles in the battery:

1. Because the car was down to a 100 miles or so in the battery from the previous day's driving, I started a standard (90%) charge when I left the car in the RV Park the night before.
    2. The temps dropped to 20 or so by dawn and the car was cold soaked.
    3. I checked the charge status with the iPhone App when I woke up; all was good, but the car was cold.
    4. As I walked to breakfast, I started a "Range" charge with the App. This not only topped off the battery, but the MS also warms the battery on shore power while doing this charge.
    5. As I was finishing breakfast, the charge was almost done, I turned on the climate control, and set the temp to 72˚ F. with the App.
    6. When the hotel shuttle took me to the RV park a half hour later, my MS had a warm battery, a warm cabin, and full battery ready for a nice drive home to Pagosa.

7. wormhole

wormhole Banned

I found this past winter that cold weather is the real issue with the MS. Even at levels above 20-degress F, for example around freezing, I found that the range loss during the day, when not plugged in, was almost double what I experience with the vampire loss. If the car is plugged in, not as much an issue, and 5.0 should help to thwart the vampire loss, bringing 'cold weather, unplugged in loss' to 7-10 rated miles, at least in my experience. I hope this is addressed at some point, as Roadster's apparently weren't subject to this.

8. dherman76

dherman76 Member

this is all helpful, thank you.