Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not allow a third part of put your Roadster on a lift (properly placed jack okay)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some searching on TMC, and I could not find a post that mentioned this, so I thought its worthy of posting.

After having some service on a 1.5 , I asked about having a state inspection. I was told that the Tesla service centers in New York don't offer this, as they would need to make the investment in emissions/smog inspection equipment for ICE vehicles, and offer said inspection services to all (Tesla, other EV, and ICE).

If anyone is gonna to take their Roadster to anyone to do any type of servicing other than at a Tesla Service Center, be warned that the service manager told me that you should not allow them to use a lift, Tesla normally would remove some plates under the car before doing this to prevent damage, and its unlikely that a dealer or independent repair shop would attempt to remove these plates (or do it correctly).

In New York, a state inspection requires that a wheel be pulled off to check the breaks. Many shops would simply put the car on a lift and then pull the wheel off, as this also make it easy to visually inspect for leaks (something unliley an EV would have). If your inspection station wants to pull a wheel off, they can jack it up (using the correct jack point) a wheel and pull it. They can also crawl under a jacked up car if they feel compelled to look for leaks.

Typically, inspection center just do a precursory checking the lights and turn signals, as the OBD-II equipment they have for emission/smog checking won't work on a Roadster (whoes diagnostic port is incomparable). EVs (at least in New York) are exempt from emission/smog checks, so its not an issue.

Anyway, just wanted to get it out there that if you are looking to have service (even as minor as fixing a flat tire) outside of a Tesla service center, don't let them put it on a lift. Much better to offer a nice tip to have them use a pump jack (placed at the correct location) than having something ugly happen. If you live someplace where inspection stations are operated by the government (where offering a tip would be a bad idea) try to use as much tact as you can to plead with them to not use a lift if they feel they need to pull a wheel or look under the car.

Anyway, just wanted to get it out there that if you are looking to have service (even as minor as fixing a flat tire) outside of a Tesla service center, don't let them put it on a lift. Much better to offer a nice tip to have them use a pump jack (placed at the correct location) than having something ugly happen.
I had a flat tire repaired at a local Les Schwab tire store. I told them that they could not put it on a lift, and that if it wasn't jacked correctly, they could total the car. That got their attention!

The head technician did the repair himself, allowing me to watch. All was done properly, and a happy customer here.

The service manager told me (without going into detail) bad things could happen. Could well be that when they lifted your car you (and the shop) got lucky and placed the lift in just the right spot to avoid damage. Anyway, I figured it was worthwhile to create the tread so Roadster owners could be made aware that they should be very careful about when it comes to having a car put on a lift. Even when its jacked, you want to make sure they use the correct jack point.

The danger is that the Roadster can fall off the lift! This was discussed on TMC a while back.

Like this:
qball-elise-fall-off-rack.jpg

P.S. Ok, not a roadster - but close.

The danger is that the Roadster can fall off the lift! This was discussed on TMC a while back.
No doubt the heavy rear makes it a danger for those that lift it without taking the lopsided distribution into account, but the SC manager mentioned some plates that need to be removed before putting it on a lift. Even for something as minor as a tire change, I would rather have it pump jacked (using the proper lift spot) than have it hoisted on a lift. Well worth tipping a few extra bucks to have it done as safely as possible.

I'll try to dig up and read the old thread about the topic.