Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not buy "Chemical Guys Tire + Trim Gel"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU
Decided to try this tire gel and I regret it. It ruined my wrap

First, so much sling after only a ~12 mile drive. Put it on after I washed my car and it literally made my car more dirty than it was before I washed it. It even ended up on the rear of my trunk as well!

MlJqKzU.jpg

HwfX4fx.jpg

Then I washed my car again and guess what? Where all the sling was there are now stains in my wrap that won't come out. I tried using goo-gone and that didn't work. Looked it up and it said certain oil based products can stain vinyl wrap and the only thing to do is to get it re-wrapped.

PAxIvoT.jpg

9qPrfbw.jpg

^ Look how good my wrap is. Lol.

So those spots are all alongside the bottom my doors on both sides now (not the best lighting but it's really all over the sides). It can be seen in the sunlight best and it annoys me. I do not recommend this tire gel in any way (or any oil based product). Stay away especially if your car is vinyl wrapped.

The best tire gel with no sling at all (No BS) is

adams_polishes_vrt_2.0_16oz_bottle_800x.jpg

Don't know why I tried an oil based gel smh

Last edited:
Man, that sucks. Sorry to see this happened to your wrap. I once tried an oil-based tire gel on my old Chevy Volt and something similar happened. From that day on, I only use water-based tire dressings. I have no doubt the Adam's VRT is a great product. Not sure if you are open to trying a different Chemical Guys product, but CG offers a water-based tire dressing that I love called CG VRP. The Adam's tire product is $19.99 for 16oz. The CG VRP is on sale on Amazon for $8.99 for the same size. I'd be curious to do a side by side comparison of the Adams vs CG water-based products.

Did you ever find anything that cleaned the sling off of your wrap? Please share the product that worked.

Reactions: Mr X
I use the Chemical Guy Tire Kicker gel and I like it, doesn't seem to sling, even after driving almost immediately later. I put it on an applicator pad and apply, this way I can control the amount and apply it more evenly. I tried that Tire +Trim gel and wasn't a fan. I use it to shine up some plastic pieces before selling a vehicle and that worked ok, but as a tire dressing.... no thanks.

Tire Kicker Extra Glossy Tire Shine |

Reactions: lUtriaNt
oil-based tire dressings in general are problematic although they do provide great duration.

To try and rescue your wrap, what about trying a bug/tar remover like Stoner's Tarminator? Maybe that will help. Or, maybe go into the cupboard and try a little smear of peanut butter. Hope you don't really need to re-wrap.

PS -- my favorite tire dressing is Optimum's -- it is water based (I cut it 50/50 with water) and doesn't sling.

all good options,

ive been using surf city's product over a decade across two cars with no issues:

Beyond Black® Tire Dressing

it leaves a matte finish, not that 80s amor all slick shine. :p

i tried a chemical guys detailer spray and was not fan. it left some faint streaks. i was using surf city's detailer but wanted to try the chemical guys due to their advertising and such--ill just stick with what has worked for me over the years instead of getting caught up in hype.

i tried a chemical guys detailer spray and was not fan. it left some faint streaks. i was using surf city's detailer but wanted to try the chemical guys due to their advertising and such--ill just stick with what has worked for me over the years instead of getting caught up in hype.

I agree with you on CG detail sprays. I have a bottle of Chemical Guys V07 spray detailer/sealant that I plan to dump. It left streaks and blotches on my dark paint. I may give the surf city detailer a try. I just tried Xtreme Solutions Showroom Elegance MIst and Wipe detailer and I love it. It cleans well and leaves high gloss behind.