TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Do not buy kaluza smart+ charger

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Rajanm1, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

Just a word of warning to anyone thinking of getting an ovo/kaluza/chargedev "smart+" charger DON'T DO IT.
    I had one installed about 3 months ago when I got my model 3 and initially for 2 months it was working great then it suddenly stopped working part way through a charge overnight. It tripped both switches in the consumer unit and when I flipped the switches back up and the unit powers on but no longer works with my car. When plugged in it tries to charge but then the Car says there is an issue with the power source.
    They are now not even willing to send an engineer out to replace the unit or look at it so the guarantee is useless.
    Have even complained on their own forum and they still aren't that bothered about it:
    OVO Smart Charger stopped working - can you replace? | The OVO Forum

• Like x 1
  2. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

You have rights under the consumer law so they have to prove it's not the unit that's at fault. Your unit is under warranty so just call them and show them the sales of goods act if all else fails :)

• Like x 1
  3. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

Cheers but they don't give you a phone number to call and barely reply to emails.
    Really is a company to avoid!

• Like x 1
  4. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

Is it the company that installed it the one not replying?

5. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Unfortunately these companies that don't provide numbers or reply to emails when people have problems (Might sound familiar!) will find out the hard way when they give people no choice but to take them through the legal system.

I suggest writing a letter to their address, informing them that you need it fixed otherwise you will be seeking a refund through the court system for the full amount paid and costs to have it removed, send it signed for as well.

If they have any sense they will then get back to you, if they don't then proceed to file a MCOL

• Like x 1
  6. xnetco

xnetco Member

MCOL is extremely easy and very satisfying. I have a 100% success rate with it so far.

• Like x 3
  7. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

#7 VanillaAir_UK, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    MCOL - Money claims online? Make a money claim online

Is that a new version of small claims court?

I have a feeling I will have one looming in new year - I'm not expecting to Tesla accept a repair/replacement of a (in their words) 'cosmetic damaged' item that cannot be proven beyond doubt to have been there on delivery.

Will give me something to 'suggest' to them.

• Like x 1
  8. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

yes it’s the new version of small claims, many people have had success especially as it is a low cost solution.

I also have a cosmetic issue which I’m waiting to get fixed but hopefully will be done shortly otherwise they will get a claim heading their way

9. xnetco

xnetco Member

I’ve done about 10 claims with most being paid in advance of court and one going to court. Most companies just pay after the initial claim and after some internal investigation.

MCOL was useful when people were reclaiming their bank charged with bailiffs being sent into an HSBC bank.

10. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

They are all the same company that manufactures and installs them.
    The parent company is energy company OVO and the subsidiary which deals with ev tech is called kaluza.

11. Palros

Palros Member

Umm, Didnt BP have something to do with them? ChargedEV

They use there App.

12. xnetco

xnetco Member

Ovo normally have great customer service. Have you tried contacting them directly?

13. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

Yeh but they just say you need to contact kaluza directly and wash their hands of you unfortunately :/

14. MacPaul

MacPaul Member

Who did the installation? Kaluza is the back-end ‘smart’ part of the charger. It sounds like you have an issue with the physical installation rather than the software.

15. Glan gluaisne

Glan gluaisne Supporting Member

My guess is that installation will have been subcontracted out to a fairly local Part P electrician, as I doubt that many charge point suppliers actually have their own install staff. Every charge point installation I've seen has been installed by a subcontractor, often from some distance away (which may partly explain the relatively high installation costs that seem to being charged).

• Disagree x 1
  16. MacPaul

MacPaul Member

Not in my case. Mine was installed by Ovo for ChargedEV (owned by Ovo) and was by far the cheapest install I was quoted for.

17. davidmc

davidmc Active Member

Your dealings are with the company that you paid for the installation. They are the ones responsible and the ones you need to contact. Such as your washing machine, if you bought it from Currys, they are the ones you return it too and not the manufacturer.

• Like x 2
  18. arg

arg Supporting Member

Did this install also receive an OLEV grant? If so, there’s s mandatory 3-year on-site warranty to qualify for the grant.

A note to OLEV that they are not fulfilling their obligations might be effective - threat of being thrown off the list of approved installers may concentrate minds.

• Informative x 1
  19. Rajanm1

Rajanm1 Member

This was the same here, do you have a model 3 and have you had any issues with charging it with the smart+ charger?

20. MacPaul

MacPaul Member

Yes, M3.

No issues with charging but the smart functionality doesn’t work unless you schedule the car to wake up in the early hours to coincide with off peak demand. This has been stated elsewhere on here that it is a problem with Tesla’s software not allowing the car to wake up to receive a charge when the smart charger decides.

ChargedEV have a contact number: 0330 043 1851

I've never had any problems getting hold of them and talking to a human (obviously not today though as it’s a holiday).

Hope it gets sorted for you.

• Like x 1