Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not buy kaluza smart+ charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, M3.

No issues with charging but the smart functionality doesn’t work unless you schedule the car to wake up in the early hours to coincide with off peak demand. This has been stated elsewhere on here that it is a problem with Tesla’s software not allowing the car to wake up to receive a charge when the smart charger decides.

ChargedEV have a contact number: 0330 043 1851

I've never had any problems getting hold of them and talking to a human (obviously not today though as it’s a holiday).

Hope it gets sorted for you.
Cheers thanks, tried calling but they are closed until the 6th Jan. Will try again then as I doubt ovo will have replied or done anything by then!

Yes, M3.

No issues with charging but the smart functionality doesn’t work unless you schedule the car to wake up in the early hours to coincide with off peak demand. This has been stated elsewhere on here that it is a problem with Tesla’s software not allowing the car to wake up to receive a charge when the smart charger decides.

ChargedEV have a contact number: 0330 043 1851

I've never had any problems getting hold of them and talking to a human (obviously not today though as it’s a holiday).

Hope it gets sorted for you.

Phoned chargedev and they are sending someone to look at on Thursday.
Does your charger also get to 32A? Mine only maxed out at 31A and was told that was the limit of the unit even though it says 32A on it.

Phoned chargedev and they are sending someone to look at on Thursday.
Does your charger also get to 32A? Mine only maxed out at 31A and was told that was the limit of the unit even though it says 32A on it.

Some charge points only advertise around 30 A to the car, some advertise the full 32 A. It tends to depend on the charge point components. Running a 32 A rated RCBO at 32 A for hours on end will make it run pretty warm. If the charge point has a 40 A RCBO (perfectly safe to protect the 6mm² normally cable used), then it will run a bit cooler at 32 A.

I've also seen charge points that are limited to 30 A because of the current limit of the relay they use, as 30 A is a common off-the-shelf rating.

A lot of charge points just give a typical power rating, and these can be a little confusing. UK mains voltage is supposedly 230 VAC, with a tolerance of +10% and -6%. In reality, it's usually much closer to 240 VAC, as when we harmonised our supply voltage under the EU harmonisation provisions, we chose not to actually reduce the voltage from the older 240 VAC standard, we just changed the tolerance so we could keep with 240 VAC but officially call it 230 VAC.

This means that power ratings for appliances and charge points may often use 230 VAC, together with the current rating, when stating the maximum power, and often this will be a bit lower than the real power when in use. For example, a 32 A rated charge point will deliver ~7.36 kW at 230 VAC, or 7.68 kW at the more likely 240 VAC. To make matters even more confusing, the power ratings are often rounded to a higher or lower number, so a 32 A charge point may be referred to as either a 7 kW unit or a 7.5 kW unit. The chances are that much of the time it will be delivering somewhere between those to figures.

A 30 A charge point run at a typical 240 VAC will still deliver 7.2 kW, so could, arguably, still be called a 7 kW rated unit.

There's also a tolerance on the way the car measures current; it only seems to measure to the nearest amp, and we don't know if it rounds up or down.

Update - the engineer was really good and swapped the unit out with a replacement in under an hour and all looks to be working fine again!
However still really disappointed with the kaluza attitude and that it has taken so long to replace the faulty unit. Especially if I didn't phone chargedev directly I would still have kaluza adamant that the unit was working fine...