Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do NOT buy Tesla Product ...very disappointed...please read and reply

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My name is Kinjal Patel and I am the owner of Tesla Model 3 (VIN # 5YJXXXXXXXX175821). I purchased the vehicle on Dec 17th with Enhanced Autopilot.
I paid for that vehicle $57,000 plus. I referred to my friend and encouraged him to buy Tesla.
He bought it without AutoPilot and he paid $5000 less than I paid.
Now, I just came to know yesterday while talking to Customer Support that if I have to upgrade my enhanced autopilot to "Full Self Driving Capability (FSD)" then I have to pay $2000 extra.

I complained to him, I had been told when I bought Model 3 that new update would come for enhanced autopilot and you would get it for free and I don't have to pay anything else.
I couldn't understand, what's going on?????
Why I have to pay for it, I just paid $5000 and you guys didn't mention that we are upgrading in 2019 and we would charge for that update otherwise I won't purchase it.

You guys are selling the same model. If it is a different model then it's a separate thing but I would call this as fraud or loot to the customer.

Both customer representatives told me today morning and yesterday afternoon that if you didn't buy autopilot in 2018 and now if you want this FSD then you have to pay for $3000 first for "AutoPilot" and then you have to pay $2000 ( discounted rate) for those who purchased before March.

So, if you try to understand this scenario then my friend didn't buy autopilot in 2018 and the car price is $52,000.
I got the enhanced autopilot and I paid $57,000.

So by taking the above case, let's say both want to purchase this new FSD feature then, the one who purchased "Enhanced AutoPilot" has to pay $2000 additionally so Total Cost would be $57,000 + $2000 (FSD Upgrade) = $59,000.
and Total Cost for the other person would be $52000 + $ 3000 (Auto Pilot) + $2000 (FSD discounted Price) = $57,000.

1 car would be for $57,000 and the other would be for $59,000 and they both would be the exact same feature, model and purchase date.

Are you guys crazy??????????

why you rewarded to that guy who didn't buy autopilot and why you are charging more to the guy who trusted you and bought enhanced autopilot.

Please try to understand.

I disappointed in just 2 months after paying $57,000 for a car.

In order to sell to future customers and try to attract them, you are screwing your old customers (recent customers) who just trusted you and they are ambassadors for your company.

Now onwards, despite off Model 3 is a good car, I won't tell anybody to buy Tesla Product as you never know when Tesla would charge for all upcoming updates and reduce the product cost.

By reducing the Product Cost, if I have to sell my car now then it would be $5000 less in just 2 months. Why??, because of the car value got decreased by the manufacturer.

In order to attract new customers, you are making a bad impression on your existing customers and it would affect the company's prestige.

Please fix this issue with Price Adjustment or Refund or Price Match to the product.

"FSD" Price would be the same for 2018 Customers despite off anybody has bought or not.

So what I am recommending is that for those owners who have purchased Enhanced Auto Pilot, they would get the "Free" Update for FSD.

The one who didn't buy Enhanced AutoPilot then they would pay a total of $5000 and by doing so both would be treated as same. ($57,000 for customer A and $57,000 for Customer B)

Please try to understand owners situation and we are the people who would keep spreading the words, but if we get disappointed then that chain of marketing would be broken and nobody would refer to anyone to buy Tesla Product and it is a fact.

Please find a way to please your existing customers and at the same time, you can also please your future customer.

Please don't allow to ruin the company's prestige.

Thanks
cleardot.gif

This must be your first car purchase.

A couple years ago I went to a BMW dealer to lease a vehicle for my wife. They gave me a price. I didn't lease it then but instead went to another dealer who gave me an even better price. I leased it. Two months later there was a sale on the exact same car for hundreds less.

What you are suggesting is that I go back to BMW and ask for a few hundreds less of my monthly lease payment.

Please reply and let me know what other think about Tesla and let me know whether my concern is right or not? I sent the above email to Tesla. You never know that Tesla would keep charging you for all the updates. So when your product is in a beta mode we pay for it why we are not getting free upgrade??? and why there is a partiality if someone buys Autopilot now and few days after....Tesla mentioned that it would be more expensive if you buy it later but in above case, it is cheaper at $2000.

• Funny
Reactions: beau.b
I think it's pretty crappy too. Not because prices shouldn't drop. They do and I'm fine with that. I never expected Elon to refund $5k for the PUP.

But paying for EAP at the time of purchase was marketed as "It'll be more if you buy it later." which is very different than normal price drops. It feels like bait and switch.

I don't hate Tesla. I still got what I paid for and it's a great car (well, except for the windshield wipers, which are a disaster). But I'm certainly never falling for their "buy now save later" lies again. Fool me once, Elon...

This must be your first car purchase.

A couple years ago I went to a BMW dealer to lease a vehicle for my wife. They gave me a price. I didn't lease it then but instead went to another dealer who gave me an even better price. I leased it. Two months later there was a sale on the exact same car for hundreds less.

What you are suggesting is that I go back to BMW and ask for a few hundreds less of my monthly lease payment.

I have purchased other cars but you didn't understand the above scenario and that's why I had to explain with example so that anybody can understand very easily. Tesla has reduced the sticker price. We don't talk about dealer Price. Plus I have questioned about Autopliot Price

• Disagree
Reactions: Elixir
Okay... so that was a very redundant post. Also, this has been discussed several times already regarding the devalue of a owners car.

It slightly sounded like you understood why the decrease in price was happening... with understanding should come some type of closure.

Call it unfair, unethical, not for the people, or whatever. But this is a business with a moto of sustainability and affordability. Changes have to continue within to achieve that.

The thing is, Do we make this much noise when you bought a 2018 Mustang at $40k then the next guy got a better price a day later on the same optioned Mustang for $37k? Or when you just missed a manufacturer rebate of $3k on the same car?... some may say well, Tesla is more of a Tech company with a set price for all.. okay, sure.. then what about that brand new iPhone X you bought and then a couple months later, there’s a promotion offer for $300 off or buy one get one free.. tech Decreases value faster then anything.

Reactions: TampaRich
I have purchased other cars but you didn't understand the above scenario and that's why I had to explain with example so that anybody can understand very easily. Tesla has reduced the sticker price. We don't talk about dealer Price. Plus I have questioned about Autopliot Price

Auto Pilot (FSD) Price should be the same ...there say that if you purchase later it supposed to be expensive but in above case it is cheaper at $2000

Plus I have a complaint about the Battery as well...There are so many people they bought this car after June in summer and nobody came to know until January and February where you can find brutal cold and at the parking lot at your work, let's say you parked there for 10 hours....your battery would drain for 2-3 miles per hour, so total 20 to 30 miles every day at your work and that is about almost $2 loss every day by keeping your car outside...just imagine that there are many people they won't have a garage to keep their car so they would lose 40-60 miles easily so loss of $4 to $5 easily per day. They should come up with some kind thermal shield to all Tesla owners' Battery to reduce/overcome the energy transfer.

Tesla has reduced the price of their vehicles a few times in the past. Why is this come as a surprise to so many people?.... Pull up your pants and move on.

I hear you... but not really. I think there's a difference between

a) reducing prices on a product (totally fine), and

b) marketing a feature as "buy it now, it'll be more expensive later!" then shortly thereafter, making it cheaper post-sale.

Yep, many are unhappy about this, but I can't imagine that Tesla won't do anything about it. I guess we'll find out shortly...Either way, they really crapped on the used M3 market with the recent adjustments to pricing.

Well Elon did tweet that some complainer person "should" get a $1,000 refund.

wtf? Should??
'Should get a $1,000 refund' is something a guy at the store says who doesn't want to take responsibility in case he is wrong.
It means nothing

• Funny
Reactions: Qbenjamin
Tesla has the right to do what they've done. And, as others have pointed out, other manufacturers are MUCH worse about this. Most dealers won't think twice about having 2 people spend thousands more/less on the SAME vehicle on the SAME day. The problem here, is many expect more out of Tesla. Different people expect different things, but I expect Tesla's selling model results in people paying the same thing for the same car on the same day. It's great and they really do this. Tomorrow is a different story. But, when Tesla changes prices (and they do!) and if it's too soon or appears to be wholly unfair to previous owners, they have been known to try and somehow make it equitable is small ways (not always). We love Tesla when they care like this! The issue here, is they fixed one problem and made another one worse. I think Tesla is busy trying to find another solution that works for everyone. I want a different solution than they've currently proposed, but I also don't want them to go bankwupt trying. Charge what you need to, but do it as fair as possible. I'm willing to pay for FSD as long as you don't give it away to someone less committed than me! Once they are through this, it seems like they are mostly out of the woods here. The $35K car shouldn't come down in price, right? Going forward, Telsa will make more money on people adding FSD and AP after initial purchase for higher margin. New buyers shouldn't experience this and will likely have to pay MORE for AP/FSD in the near future. If they can thread the needle on this one, I really think it's mostly down hill.

Plus I have a complaint about the Battery as well...There are so many people they bought this car after June in summer and nobody came to know until January and February where you can find brutal cold and at the parking lot at your work, let's say you parked there for 10 hours....your battery would drain for 2-3 miles per hour, so total 20 to 30 miles every day at your work and that is about almost $2 loss every day by keeping your car outside...just imagine that there are many people they won't have a garage to keep their car so they would lose 40-60 miles easily so loss of $4 to $5 easily per day. They should come up with some kind thermal shield to all Tesla owners' Battery to reduce/overcome the energy transfer.
Vampire drain and cold weather are the bane of all electric cars. You can't change physics. Passive insulation doesn't cut it. Plug it in when it gets cold to preserve charge.

Maybe you weren't ready to shift gears from internal combustion engines to electric. You plan differently for electric cars.

Okay... so that was a very redundant post. Also, this has been discussed several times already regarding the devalue of a owners car.

It slightly sounded like you understood why the decrease in price was happening... with understanding should come to some type of closure.

Call it unfair, unethical, not for the people, or whatever. But this is a business with a moto of sustainability and affordability. Changes have to continue to achieve that.

The thing is, Do we make this much noise when you bought a 2018 Mustang at $40k then the next guy got a better price a day later on the same optioned Mustang for $37k? Or when you just missed a manufacturer rebate of $3k on the same car?... some may say well, Tesla is more of a Tech company with a set price for all.. okay, sure.. then what about that brand new iPhone X you bought and then a couple of months later, there’s a promotion offer for $300 off or buy one get one free.. tech Decreases value faster than anything.

it's not about reducing the price, I get your analogy and I don't care if they sell it cheaper....but just think about the Autopilot (FSD) price for 2018 customers is not the same. it's a difference of $2000. They didn't mention about this upgrade as well in 2018. It's been just literally 2 months and they provided an update with $2000 ??? wow.....and those who didn't buy FSD they would pay only 5000 now and I have to pay 7000. There would be many like me. I think it should be a free upgrade and that makes sense.

I hear you... but not really. I think there's a difference between

a) reducing prices on a product (totally fine), and

b) marketing a feature as "buy it now, it'll be more expensive later!" then shortly thereafter, making it cheaper post-sale.

Happens every day. My 2014 SRT Jeep was ordered at $72,000.00. Chrysler then charged me $78,000.00. 4 Other dealers also had Jeeps that were marked up well over what they were originally. I paid the extra. 5 months after they were offering them for 10K lower. This isn't anything new. Auto dealers have been doing this for years. This is also the same with electronics too. Marked up during high season and discounted on boxing day ect. You read the contract and agreed to pay a price. Suck it up