Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do NOT buy Tesla Product ...very disappointed...please read and reply

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of the problem is the OP is thinking as a consumer and not as a Tesla minion. The Tesla minions have no problem paying for something they will not get because , well, its a Tesla. I am convinced if Elon Musk sent a letter to all current Tesla owners and said "I need you to send me another $5k because our company needs the cash", 90% would drop the check in mail. Thats why Elon is the greatest showman on earth! And I mean that as a compliment to his sales skills.

You just need to realize that your buddy got a better deal than you.

Also consider that you might have gotten a bigger Tax Credit than he did.

This is not a matter of fair or unfair, just that pricing is subject to change, and some will get a better price than others.

In your favor, if you decide to upgrade your EAP Autopilot to FSD you will be able to do so for 1/2 the price you were quoted when you purchased your car. It may also include an upgrade of your computer to one 100 times faster at no additional cost. Lots of deals to be had right now.

Your anger is totally justified. I really hope Tesla will do something to take care of previous customers. With that said, I do not want them to do something that will end up killing the company as I still love Tesla. Personally I am ok with 2k FSD as I purchased EAP for 5k. If they would throw in something like free supercharging or something for older customers it would settle a lot of anger IMO. They know what they can and cant afford to do so we will see in the coming days.

These Model 3 customers amaze me.

There are many of us on the forum who paid upwards of 100K for a S or X and have lost significantly more value in our cars over the years than Model 3 owners.

Also, if you did any research on Tesla prior to your purchase, you would have observed that price discounts have been happening quite consistently over the years.

Enjoy the car bro and drop your buyer's remorse.

Last edited:
I paid the price I was comfortable with and got exactly the car I wanted.

Am I upset that pricing has changed since I bought? Nope.
Do I wish I had gotten a better deal? Well, sure, we all want the best deal.
Would I have waited until a better deal was offered? No, otherwise I'd be waiting forever for the best deal as things always change.

Be happy with the car/price you paid.

I'm in the same situation as @Zorak03. When I bought my Model 3 back at the end of June EAP was 5k and FSD was 3k.

So as I see this, it all started when Tesla listened to the number of owners who didn't buy EAP (and obviously FSD as you need both) and who really only wanted TACC. So Tesla separated it out along with AutoSteer and offered that separately as AP and of course reduced the price accordingly since you were getting fewer features. The goal is to have as many people eventually be at FSD the closer they get to releasing that.

I have seen Tesla sometimes bend over backwards listening to customers' feedback. If you're Tesla you can't seem to win. There's always someone unhappy about something especially when it comes to price reductions. You can count on it every time but their goal has always to make these amazing cars as affordable as possible for as many people as they can. I honestly have never heard of Toyota or Honda, who we have also owned for decades, responding to customers to the extent Tesla has. I personally think I drive the best car that I have ever owned. No way would I tell people not to buy a Tesla over them reducing prices.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Tesla has reduced the price of their vehicles a few times in the past. Why is this come as a surprise to so many people?.... Pull up your pants and move on.
The comment about the "pull up your pants" must be from someone who doesn't have a clue about good customer service. Probably a young millennial with no practical experience. Tesla is doing a VERY poor job of taking care of their customers. Again and again I hear how poorly they (we) are treated. My buying experience was horrid. These arbitrary price drops are not helping matters. When I think about selling my Model 3 one day I fully expect to get next to nothing for the vehicle. Beyond the normal depreciation, Tesla is adding more downward price pressure by lowering the price of a new vehicle every few weeks. I'm with pat_kin, I will never buy another Tesla. The car is fine, the company and customer service is way below average. They should at least offer some sort of an incentive to the customers who've gotten hit by this price game. Oh well, I guess I'll pull my pants up along with the wallet in my hip pocket and spend my money elsewhere.

Reactions: ftlum
I'm in the same situation as @Zorak03. When I bought my Model 3 back at the end of June EAP was 5k and FSD was 3k.

So as I see this, it all started when Tesla listened to the number of owners who didn't buy EAP (and obviously FSD as you need both) and who really only wanted TACC. So Tesla separated it out along with AutoSteer and offered that separately as AP and of course reduced the price accordingly since you were getting fewer features. The goal is to have as many people eventually be at FSD the closer they get to releasing that.

I have seen Tesla sometimes bend over backwards listening to customers' feedback. If you're Tesla you can't seem to win. There's always someone unhappy about something especially when it comes to price reductions. You can count on it every time but their goal has always to make these amazing cars as affordable as possible for as many people as they can. I honestly have never heard of Toyota or Honda, who we have also owned for decades, responding to customers to the extent Tesla has. I personally think I drive the best car that I have ever owned. No way would I tell people not to buy a Tesla over them reducing prices.

I don't think it's a "listening to owners". I think it's simply that after releasing the SR they want the low end buyers to pay for AP, and the high-end buyers to pay for FSD.

Reactions: ord3r
Technically, FSD did go up in price, it's quite a bit higher for a new buyer, of course EAP prices went in the other direction and frankly they should have. The barrier of entry for TACC was too high bundled as part of EAP.

Tesla tried to make things right for some people by making FSD cheaper if you'd already purchased the higher priced EAP, make EAP+FSD cheaper if you bought a car before the price drop, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I will be ok, you still have one of the best cars techs out there. The ride is awesome. The software and features get better every 3 months. It is one of the safest cars out there for your family. The money will even out over time with the JOY and SMILE on your drive. I understand that there is a core principal, you feel unjust. The car is one hell of a FUN product in ALL.

This is the interface between cutting edge technology and automobiles. The only thing I can think of that depreciates faster than an automobile is new technology. AP1 to AP2, 90D to 100D, Insane mode to Ludicrous mode.... wait until the Model S/X refresh and Tesla releases a 130kWh or higher pack at the same price point as the 100kWh was. Or perhaps doubles the charger speed with a new battery configuration or maybe they determine that rear or side radar is going to be required for more reliable FSD.

Prices have already dropped multiple times on the Model S and X and the 3 as well. Heck, 2018 was pretty much the 1st model year of the 3 and the first model year of any car is usually the worst.

I'm fairly confident that the only reason Tesla's cars have held their value so well is the general scarcity of them. The Model 3 is already a mass production car and resale values are going to drop once you can buy them used anywhere, especially once you start seeing production changes and improvements.

EDIT: I'm not a Tesla fanboy, I'm a realist. I like what Tesla is doing, but at the end of the day, they're a corporation selling me a car. They've got a lot more screwing to do before I'm as sore as I've been with other car companies.

Sweet fancy Moses, my sympathy is getting awfully fatigued around here and I’m one of the supposedly “screwed” customers.

For the OP, FSD doesn’t even do anything right now and may literally never work as advertised. Last year’s EAP is quite equivalent to what people are (temporarily) getting now for five grand and I’m personally rather tickled with the feature set I got for five grand.

Cars with EAP before 1/1/19 got a fatter tax credit and the bulk of “FSD.”

Has nobody here ever bought a frikkin car only to have a fat cash-back rebate or zero percent financing show up the next week? I have. Check out the I-Pace folks, that car has only been on the market six months or so and already has 0% for 60 months and a $3k cash rebate. Imagine if you paid over MSRP for one of those suckers last October with market rate financing!

The only customers in this Tesla sh*t-show (entirely of their own making I might add) I think have the right to be peeved are those who bought FSD for eight grand during the last few years. I’d be quite perturbed about the whole mess if I bought in to what was promised as FSD only to see it not materialize for years (if ever) and then see customers be financially rewarded for *not* paying the $3k ahead of time. Even so, the going rate for that product remains eight grand if one orders a car today.

I bought a car. I got to enjoy it for a year. The price went down, most of that was offset with my additional tax credit, and the FSD they told me would be $4k after the fact is now $2k.

I don't think it's a "listening to owners". I think it's simply that after releasing the SR they want the low end buyers to pay for AP, and the high-end buyers to pay for FSD.

No, actually you will find many, many posts from owners on here who didn't want the full EAP package. These were from owners who bought the more expensive Model 3 versions as well. They simply had no interest in using Summons, etc. and just wanted the adjusted car spacing TACC gave over plain old Cruise Control for their rush hour driving. Many people said they really don't care about Auto Steer. In fact we bought EAP and because most of my driving is local traffic I don't really even use TACC often but my husband uses TACC all the time on the highway, and uses only TACC not auto-steer. He tried it some time ago and didn't feel comfortable using it at that point. Many people just don't do a lot of highway driving so feel no need for any AP or EAP so never ordered it but express they might buy TACC if it were sold separately.

Elon and Tesla's goal is to one day have everyone on FSD and they hope one day that will be the only way Teslas will come (and eventually without a steering wheel).

Isn't that exactly what they are doing? Offering your FSD for a $2K discount and adding additional performance to the car?

FSD still shows 3k on my account so it remains to be seen if it will actually drop. I think 1k would be more fair personally, but again, Tesla knows what it can afford. Isnt the additional performance for all model 3s? If so, then it really cannot be considered a perk to early buyers.