Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Disable Passive Entry!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using Passive Entry happily until I read the articles about hackers intercepting the broadcast signals and stealing cars. So, I thought I'd turn it off and experience the difference. My car has Auto Unlock Driver Door Only On and Auto Present Handles On which works fine for me as I usually don't have a passenger. With Passive Entry off, the car requires a double click of the key fob. I'm fine with that, too. However, today, my wife was with me and it was raining very hard. I double clicked the key fob and only the driver door unlocked. Oops. I entered the car and double clicked again thinking the passenger door would unlock. Nope. I noticed the Unlock icon on the MCU indicated the doors were unlocked, but they weren't. So I pressed it twice - to lock, then back to unlock - and the passenger door still didn't open. I pressed it again and it finally opened to my angry, soaking wet wife. (Note to Tesla: The icons are backwards! The lock icon should be for locking, not unlocking - and the unlocking icon should be for unlocking, not locking).

Of course, now the car wouldn't start. A warning indicator on the instrument cluster said I needed to unlock the car to start it. Huh?? We're sitting in the car and the screen says I need to unlock the car to start it?? I pressed the incorrect unlock icon again and I still couldn't start the car. I pressed it twice more. Nope. Finally, I tried double clicking the key fob again and was able to start the car.

What did I learn? Don't turn off Passive Entry unless you don't mind clicking SIX times to unlock any passenger door. I suppose I could turn off Auto Unlock Driver Door Only but it seems silly to unlock all four doors just so I can get in the car. (Also, probably not a wise or safe thing to do).

It gets worse! While sitting in the car trying to look up Passive Entry on the manual (3 clicks and 23 swipes upward on the MCU screen only to find there is no entry in the index for Passive Entry), the car automatically locked and turned off. The Easy Entry then activated, my seat moved forward and the steering wheel dropped - literally crushing me forward. I laughed originally, but realized I was trapped! I figured I needed to double click the fob again, but it was in my left jeans pocket now and nearly impossible to reach since my 6'2" frame was wedged under the steering wheel. Several minutes later, I was able to double click the fob by pressing on my pocket and the Easy Entry released me.

I was able to re-create this scenario several times and the only solution for me is to leave Passive Entry turned on and take the very small risk of getting my car hacked. Pressing the passenger door handle from the outside doesn't work. Reaching across to manually unlock the door works but that won't help if I need to unlock the rear doors.

Doesn't Tesla quality control any of their "features" before forcing them upon us?

Doesn't Tesla quality control any of their "features" before forcing them upon us?

Tesla seems to have no regression testing and no testsuite at all for their UI. It's pathetic actually. Whoever's in charge of the software department is hopeless and I could do a better job in my spare time, just by setting up a bug database and forcing the developers to deal with it

Better idea is to leave Passive Entry ON but use PIN to Drive. Then you have no problem getting in (I gave up on the requirement to always re-auth with the fob to start the car) and only need to enter your PIN one time to take off.

Much better security and convenience. Now if they would just license TouchID and FaceID from Apple (dream on!).

Better idea is to leave Passive Entry ON but use PIN to Drive. Then you have no problem getting in (I gave up on the requirement to always re-auth with the fob to start the car) and only need to enter your PIN one time to take off.

Much better security and convenience. Now if they would just license TouchID and FaceID from Apple (dream on!).

Or Tesla could just reissue new keyfobs that aren't defective to everyone who bought before they fixed the issue. I hear they'll give keyfobs to the 3 owners but no love for S owners who carried them to this day.

Or Tesla could just reissue new keyfobs that aren't defective to everyone who bought before they fixed the issue. I hear they'll give keyfobs to the 3 owners but no love for S owners who carried them to this day.
Good point. I thought there was some talk about ‘fixing’ the (order) S’s but don’t know if that would require new radios since the bands are different. No?

If it’s just crypto, then, yeah, it could just be a swap-out for the older S fleet.

Good point. I thought there was some talk about ‘fixing’ the (order) S’s but don’t know if that would require new radios since the bands are different. No?

If it’s just crypto, then, yeah, it could just be a swap-out for the older S fleet.

Just crypto. After, I think June, 2018 Tesla upped the encryption standard from easily hackable (brute) to much harder.

The worst part of this is that Tesla has known about this hack for a long time but did nothing until the bad European publicity forced them and its not that expensive for them to reissue all owners new fobs (or at least 1!). 3 owners don't even need a fob, they have 3 ways to get in.

Just crypto. After, I think June, 2018 Tesla upped the encryption standard from easily hackable (brute) to much harder.

The worst part of this is that Tesla has known about this hack for a long time but did nothing until the bad European publicity forced them and its not that expensive for them to reissue all owners new fobs (or at least 1!). 3 owners don't even need a fob, they have 3 ways to get in.

Though doesn't this happen to all luxury cars with a keyless system?

The attack affects many, not only Tesla.
Tesla could be ahead, harvesting good PR and being bold on this.
As for "did not unlock" , I would guess you have a defective handle, moisture affects the older ones before they die.

New crypto does not solve the passive entry relay attacks.

The lock icon is showing the status of the door locks at a glance. It isn’t indicative of what the button would do when pressed.

The second unlock is needed to “start” the car if you have sat more than 1-2 minute to authenticate the key is in the car. With passive entry off, the car is no longer looking for the key. Unlock the car and you have 2 min to start the car.

I just set the following-

Passive entry - off
Driver door unlock mode - on
Auto-present - on
Walk-away door lock - off

Firmware: 2018.42.2

I exited the car.
Clicked remote once to lock car
Clicked twice to unlock driver door
Clicked twice again and other doors unlocked

Other suggestion - double push the park button to unlock car.

Not sure why it didn’t work for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
It gets worse! While sitting in the car trying to look up Passive Entry on the manual (3 clicks and 23 swipes upward on the MCU screen only to find there is no entry in the index for Passive Entry), the car automatically locked and turned off. The Easy Entry then activated, my seat moved forward and the steering wheel dropped - literally crushing me forward.

Interesting that your settings for "easy entry" are the exact opposite of where they need to be to make entry easy! Surely the steering wheel should be high and out of the way?

Anyway, this is bad - the software should be checking the steering column for resistance when it moves to make sure that it isn't crushing the driver.

The Easy Entry then activated, my seat moved forward and the steering wheel dropped - literally crushing me forward.
Can you explain the logic behind your easy entry settings? This sounds like the exact opposite of easy entry.
Mine, and probably most others have it as seat all the way back, steering wheel all the way up. I also have the seat til forward to provide a little more separation between my knees and the wheel.

Reactions: MP3Mike
seat moved forward and the steering wheel dropped - literally crushing me forward. I laughed originally, but realized I was trapped! I figured I needed to double click the fob again, but it was in my left jeans pocket now and nearly impossible to reach since my 6'2" frame was wedged under the steering wheel. Several minutes later, I was able to double click the fob by pressing on my pocket and the Easy Entry released me.

Too smart for its own good?

This is no laughing matter. I was once crushed by the seat in my MS suddenly moving all the way forward. I barely escaped with my life. Hurt like hell.

I agree with everyone about double clicking the Park button to unlock all the doors. That works. However, it also locks the car again and presents the Unlock to Start message thereby requiring two more clicks on the fob. End result is still 6 clicks to unlock the passenger door. Clicking the fob 4 times will unlock passenger door and allow the car to start - so that's an option. Another is to just reach across and manually unlock the door which might make the most sense (30 year old technology).

As for my Easy Entry /Exit positioning, I set it for what makes me comfortable. I'm 6'4" tall so I set my driving profile with the seat all the way back and 20% reclined, steering wheel high. My shoulders are literally behind the panel separating the front and rear windows which makes exiting impossible without pulling myself forward. To assist me in exiting the car, Easy Exit has the seat move forward significantly, the seat back moves upright and the steering wheel drops down so I have something to grab and pull me out of my seat. Yes, it sounds backward but you'd understand if you had a 40" inseam! And when the car shuts off and automatically goes to Easy Exit, I'm trapped unless I can get the driver door opened first and get one leg out of the car to make it easier to slide out.

Thank you, realvvk, for acknowledging it has happened to you. For the doubters - I suggest you try this scenario yourselves first before questioning it. Comments like "works for me" or "I don't have this problem" are not helpful.

I’ll try the park button again.

But your already doing 2 clicks to unlock your door. Why not do two sets of two clicks to unlock all doors when needed? It’s similar to my Acura when I have driver only unlock.

I do understand sometimes a second double click of the remote is necessary to start if you don’t start the car shortly after unlocking. I definitely see that, and the first time I found the message confusing.

BTW - thanks for explaining the exit setting. Makes sense.

Last edited:
I already stated that four clicks will work - but that only works if someone is getting in the car with you. But if you're sitting in the car waiting to pick someone up, you'll need to dig out your key fob again and do the six click dance if you want to let them in. In a real world scenario, it's just incredibly inconvenient and a major step back in technology.

Picture this: It's becoming a hot day. You double click your fob and unlock the drivers door. You put your fob in your jacket pocket (or purse) and toss it in the back seat because the passenger will likely sit up front. You drive to school to pick up your child. You double press the Park button, per the manual, and the doors unlock for your child. Now the car is disabled with the Unlock to Start message and you need to reach into the back seat to retrieve your fob to start the car.

Worst case? You wait 10 minutes for your child to arrive and now the car automatically turns off. In my case, the Easy Exit activates and I'm pressed forward into the steering wheel and am unable to retrieve the fob from the back seat. All the doors are locked - now what?

I imagine most drivers leave Passive Entry On - it's very convenient. All I am suggesting is that by turning Passive Entry Off, perhaps to prevent hacking, you are introducing some legitimate and perhaps dangerous inconveniences to your driving experience because the key fob needs to be within easy reach at all times.