Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do not try it at home - owner charging his Model S at 60kW in Siberia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vgrinshpun

Supporting Member
Apr 5, 2013
PA
The video linked below was made by a Russian Model S owner. He was traveling to Barnaul, industrial city in the Altai Mountains in Siberia, and found himself with 70 miles of range left, but 90 miles away from the destination (and presumably charging facilities).

The owner negotiated with a trucker to tow him for 20km in order to get some additional range via regeneration :cool:

As shown in the video he "charged" at near 60kW - a rate which, as the owner notes in the video, is 20 times faster than charging from a 16A, 220V outlet.

ЗарÑдка Tesla Model S на веревке, вÑлед за грузовиком. - YouTube

Depends. I could see something failing or ending up with reduced life due to extended and sustained regen at high levels, for sure. Depends on how they developed the inverter. Considering the car didn't complain (temps probably fine) and such, Tesla probably accounted for this. This wouldn't be too much different than riding regen the whole way down a mountain decline.

The next accessory I need to get for my S is a harpoon! Ha!

382880_0cf7_625x1000.jpg

Perfect fit in the Frunk! :biggrin:

Last edited:
The video linked below was made by a Russian Model S owner. He was traveling to Barnaul, industrial city in the Altai Mountains in Siberia, and found himself with 70 miles of range left, but 90 miles away from the destination (and presumably charging facilities).

The owner negotiated with a trucker to tow him for 20km in order to get some additional range via regeneration :cool:

As shown in the video he "charged" at near 60kW - a rate which, as the owner notes in the video, is 20 times faster than charging from a 16A, 220V outlet.

ЗарÑдка Tesla Model S на веревке, вÑлед за грузовиком. - YouTube
Brilliant!

I wonder how they negotiated any stopping manuever? That's not a tow bar, it's a tow rope. If that truck has to stop short, and the driver doesn't pay close attention (like, I don't know, when he's shooting a video??).. it's going to get ugly real quick for the Model S.

%^$#*@!% people who film video in portrait mode...:cursing:

Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA - YouTube